Register now to get rid of these ads!

*outlaw garage*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JESSEJAMES, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

I thought the show was a pretty good watch, My wife DVR'ed it for me and I watched it about 2am, this morning when I come in the house, As while it was on I was in my shop working on my own 32 ford project. I will keep watching it, Sounds like alot of hambers were hoping for a instruction video, On "how to build a cool hotrod"......Instructions are for china made walmart furniture. So get out in your own shop and build something....LOL. Anyhow I am glad that there is finally a show like this on TV focused on hotrods. Just my 2 cents....

2. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

What sucked is you didn't see the body once it left the shop. Next time you see it its all nice and painted, would have been nice to see what it took to get it back in shape. Of course watch out for a barrage of half-assed hotrod shops opening all over just like the chopper craze.

3. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

THANK YOU. There are a LOT of shows for entertainment. I would like to LEARN from a car oriented show. That's why I wrote

"I would have liked to see the show pause long enough to actually focus more on a "how to" level. I mean really show in detail, on each episode, exactly how one part is made start to finish".

Maybe just a few minutes out of that hour that'll help us build better stuff.

4. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

lol...too late!

5. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Hey, I'm all for firing someone that's not right for the job. You missed my point

6. bulletbill

bulletbill

I didn't think my first post would go like this but here goes;

Dude, I saw some guys kissing in the park the other day. Until the show last night it was the gayest thing I ever saw.

Just fuckin with ya. I have to say though, watching how easy you make this stuff look makes me hate the corporate douchebagery my life has become. Anyway, props for not going and fading away into the sunset not a lot of other people would have wanted to put up with the BS.

Good luck with the show.

Oh and PS, thanks for not being WestCoast butchers or Over the Counter Choppers.

7. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

I really enjoyed the show but would like it to be more of the technical side of building the cars.
    Jesse, wish you the BEST with the success of the show.

8. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Same old shit. I fell sleep.... and I only had three beers.

9. I did not watch the show (so I have no opinion as far as that goes).

I have watched a show featuring Boyd Coddington (obviously several years ago) and based on what I saw, I felt that Boyd was a total dick and I would never EVER have bothered to take a project to his shop (if I could afford it). I can't help but wonder (based on other peoples comments regarding "outlaw garage") if this new show will make (or is already making) A.S.S. look like a bunch of incompetent fools and turn people off going to A.S.S. for any work or builds. "Almost burning down the shop trying to start a car" is not very confidence building as far that shop and its abilities are concerned.

Doesn't sound like I missed much.

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Will be an interested show for sure . Will be very enjoying to watch and see how things go on what we get to see ! so far so go . Will see how everything turns out in the weeks to come . I don't think it will be disappointing at all . I don't mean stupid ass drama around the couch at the old mans house either ! That bullshit really sucks the big one ! That's NOT the real world at all !
    Jesse is a hard core builder anyway you look at it . He has one thing in mind and that's it . It either gets done on time the right way or your failed and you are out the door ! He has great employees so I am sure this is going to be one killer Hot rod in the end .

One more thing ....Jesse , How the hell do you like that BAR you had built ???? That has to be a hell of a lot of fun to play with ! Now that would really set that car off for that run since I think Clyde had one he used as well , didn't he ??? Might be a problem with the cops but hell in Texas , who cares !

Retro Jim

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Any chance there will be a DVD with all the actual work that I/we want to see but the rest of John Q Public that pays the bills doesn't?

Thanks for sticking your neck out after all the crap you've been through, I sure as hell wouldn't have the balls to do it.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I bitched about "drama" last night and I stand by it. Time lines on stuff like this are just rediculous, and I can't believe that the world is in such a damn hurry that EVERYTHING has to be one. I do know that the next five phone calls I get to build things are going to be "why can't you get it done in four hours, they did on T.V....". This reinforcement of everything being instant gratification has to end.

But beyond that, I do have to say that there were quite a few ellements that I did like in the show as well. Jesse's shot with his son and welding, his comment "So when you get cut off from the family fortune you can find a job making 25.00 and hour..." Was brilliant! More kids need that sort of reality check these days.

Bob lighting himself on fire was classic Mad Fabricators, and something I have done myself so was kinda cool to watch someone else do.

The stitch thing was good T.V., but everyone of us knows that wasn't serious enough to warrent medical attention. With blood shooting everywhere, I have done that too. I can only guess that "normal America" runs off to the hospital at the first sign of blood.

Fitting the windshield frame and forging the headlight stands and such was great, and more of what we need out of a show like this.

I won't bother to comment on the tatoo appointment deal, 'cause we go right back into drama and bitching again.

All and all it wasn't horrible, But like most things Discovery produces, it could have been soooo much better with out soom of the crap attached.

Just hoping maybe some Discovery Execs are looking in on this little thread.

13. What he said

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

yawn. I miss Boyd

15. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

To be honest any show that is supported by sponsors not affiliated with the industry will have the same format to target a broader based group of consumers. I think this thread is good for finding what we want for entertainment relating to our obsession with cars. It`s not just a bitch session but a hard critique of the product presented to us. By Jesse starting it the thread by it`s existence asks for opinions.

That said, what would support a technical, more savvy audience is the usual car based products along with our favorite beer companies and possibly tool and paint manufacturers. So far Speed TV and ESPN fall miserably short of providing us "car" guys with quality entertainment.

Jesse might be the producer but unless he`s footing the production bill his imput will always be secondary for the show to survive.

At least his kid isn`t like OCC Mikey that hasn`t had a worthy thought since he was born.

16. mongo51

mongo51

Kool watch. Whats next for the show? Cant wait until this weekend to check the 32 out at the roundup.

17. Love him or hate him, everybody sure wants to talk about him.

18. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I was all keyed up to learn some mad skills.
    Christ you could learn more on car building watching Dr. Phil.
    Wonder if JJ has a pond at his place,maybe in a future episode they could film him walking across it ?

19. 40 pages? yawn!

20. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

AMEN. JJ looked pretty damn proud when his kid was welding.

21. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahh. Oh no he didn't:D

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Damn, I missed it. Hope it airs again soon.

23. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

every one over at ASS are class a guys !!!! good luck with the show hope they pick it up .
    oh ya
    ive got a present for rocco no more trying to yell threw a funnel...
    see yas tomarrow...

24. It wasn't about tech stuff and DIY how to. Most guys here already know that. It was about mentoring, being a good boss and getting off your butt, getting out there in the shop, garage, driveway, favorite shade tree or wherever you can find a place and doing something worthwhile. People need that these days. cheers. :cool:

25. kingofknights

kingofknights

26. white64

white64
    from Maine

I caught the show about halfway through (after the Red Sux managed their first win... going to be a long year). I thought the show was good! Better than any other "Hot Rod" show out there which are basically commercials for car wax and part suppliers.

There were decent cars & trucks in the background, the culture for the show seemed right, not too many Hawaian shirts, not too much drama, nice clean build, no stripes, no "real" flames, no 20 inch wheels, no mdf speaker boxes. It did make a great car statement for those who watch the other shows. But not here, this site has been all about these kinds of cars for a long time now. Maybe some here are afraid "our" secret will get out, and some rich guys will be having "home built" hot rods built for them.

No it's not the show that most here want, an episode dedicated to suspensions, one to wiring, one to engines and trans, one to prep and paint, one to scrounging parts (maybe two)...

But it's the best one so far!

27. Sounds like a winner

28. I don't care who you are, that's some funny shit right there!!

29. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Watched the chopper build off right before your show. Less talking, more physical violence please.

Outlaw garage was pretty cool. I like what you guys are doing down there. Cool cars, cool crew. Best of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.