Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Chevy truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skippycraig, Dec 26, 2011.

1. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

With my bench pushed back tight against the cab and on top of the factory seat stand at 5'11" I'm real confortable. @ 6'3" I think a combo of cutting down the factory stand about 2 inches, thin the back rest on the bench by an inch, and push the toe kick out might combine to make a comfortable ride. Hope that helps

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
    mitch 36 likes this.
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Damn man, you are building this thing just like I want to with mine someday. Maybe I will ship it up to you.....Good job!

3. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Thanks! Your little pickup is one of my favorites on the hamb.

I just picked up the complete hinge pilars and a dash support from a 37 pickup. Looks to almost bolt in so I can send the termites packing.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Make sure you post some good pics. I want to get the wood out of mine whenever its paint time.

5. jegbflat

jegbflat

@skippycraig...thanks for sharing your '36 build. I'm hoping to regain some momentum on my Grandpa's pickup so your project is inspiring. What make/model rig did you get the seat and back from? That's exactly the look and shape I'd like to use in my low cab. thanks! Jerry

Attached Files:

6. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Thanks everybody for the kind words, I'm having a blast with this truck. On vacation this week so I'm planning to put all the 37 metal in the cab, hinge pilars and dash support. The old owner of the cab started to replace the wood with steel and was on the right path but the original a pilars from a 37 truck cab just look correct. Media blast cab and doors then neighbor and I start with color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. jegbflat

jegbflat

Craig, here's a similar view of Grandpa's '36 before and after motor and front-end mods. Seeing your photos is motorvatin' !!

I'm still having trouble figuring out this message "post" routine. So hopefully folks will grant a little mercy if this doesn't show up in the right place :D

Attached Files:

8. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

jegbflat thats a beautiful truck!!!

Install metal hinge pilars and dash support today. Still need to do some adjusting to get the jam gaps correct but it feels pretty good to have working doors for the first time. The 1937 steel pilars are the way to go!

Attached Files:

9. CORPO

CORPO

Skippy,

Looking real nice, I was going to send you a PM cause I came across a set of 37 door columns and the dash piece on ebay, but I see you already got yourself a set. Looks like the fit is real nice. I wish I had known about that before I went through all the trouble building mine from scratch making the dash piece was a nightmare... having to arc the piece then take the corner back out then I couldn't mount the windshield regulator.. and had to recess that spot in there...not that the door columns was much easier.. almost makes me want to cut mine back out..Live and learn, now I know for the next one

Build is looking real nice, keep up the good work!

Attached Files:

10. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

CORPO
    Bought the pilars off ebay, cost a pretty penny but needed a good foundation to setup the cab

Going to Portland swapmeet in the morning hope to find some better rear fenders and rocker panels, most likely just drink beers with some old buddies. Hope to see some Hambers too.

11. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Lots of Hamb guys in portland. Lots of fun, bought a z50 for my daughter and a fan blade for the 36.

Jim pop man has some old 34 chev wreckers I'm going to go look at this afternoon hope to get some pics and post them.

Attached Files:

12. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Nice, this is mine [​IMG],
    I'm probably going to kick myself but I put it up for sale last weekend. I just have too many cars I need to get done and not enough $$$. I do wish I would have put fenders on mine though but I like them both ways.

13. pukejohnson

pukejohnson
    from BREMERTON

How much zippeay?

14. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

It's up for bid on the devils sight. I don't want to piss anyone off so I won't go into it too much but if you search you should find it easily. I don't really want to sell it but my wife hates riding in it and I have 6 kids and need to build something that more than 2 people can fit in.

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Those pilars look great!! I'm going to keep an eye out for some. Thanks for posting the pics....

Oh yeah, Zips truck is bad ass. There are so many 36' up here!

16. CGkidd

CGkidd

Can some one get the measurement from Front of the cab to wheel centerline. I am looking at getting front fenders but I need to know if my front axle is going to be close or if I have to move it. Thanks. By the way anyone got a stock front end for a 36 to 38?

17. redwelter

redwelter

Todays progress started by reading Flathead Ernies post on t5 transmissions, one of the best threads on the hamb. After reading as much about t5 as i can handle the plan is to take an Fbody T5 with correct gear ratio and other goodies and put a s10 t5 tailshaft on for perfect shifter location. I guess I'm about halfway.[/QUOTE]

Skippy, what is the bell housing from? I have a camaro t5 with an s10 tailshaft but the tranny is at an angle. Does the mustang t5 bolt up to a chevy 350?

Thanks
    Red

18. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

CG I can give you the centerline measurement back from the bumper brackets if that helps.

Red The bell housing that came with the camaro t5 had a 15 degree rotation built in so I had to use a old nova bell housing so the shifter and mount from the s10 stayed flat.

Sorry no updates not much to show just sandblasting and strippers, boring unless you like that kinda stuff

Attached Files:

19. CGkidd

CGkidd

Unfortunately that will not really help. I don't have a stock frame.

20. redwelter

redwelter

So the nova bell housing fits a t5? What tranny did it originally mount to?

Thanks
    Red

21. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

I got the bell from a 70 nova with 250 inline six and three speed. Chevy t5 has the same bolt pattern as most gm 3 and 4 speed trans.

22. I'm doing the same bellhousing T5 thing on my COE.
    Somebody told me you need to put a spacer ring in because the
    T5 and has a smaller diameter input shaft flange than the 3+4 speeds do.
    I am not that far along yet so I haven't checked into it further.
    Sorry to jack your thread.
    How's progress?

23. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Flowmeister nice to hear from you again, love that COE!! Truck bellhousings had a larger diameter and require a spacer ring. Cactus1 has a great build thread and talks about making mods to an s10 trans input shafts.

24. Got any progress pics?
    Are you still bottoning up the pillar /dash support install?
    Love the way it is shaping up.

25. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Still blasting and stripping, I'm really taking my time so the metal doesn't warp.

Attached Files:

26. Are all those holes in the top corners from a visor?

27. pukejohnson

pukejohnson
    from BREMERTON

Cgkid i have a nice front suspension out of my 46.let me know if you are interested.

28. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Flow I think that was a visor, wish I had it to see what it looked like before I fill the holes.

Scored on a good pass door from my buddy Al, fits way better and is real solid. More pics soon!

29. nutajunka

nutajunka

1959rod, your avatar and "Nice work" comment gave me a good laugh...:D

Cool truck and nice work, I'd like to find one to build.