Register now to get rid of these ads!

starter problems!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigLos, Apr 9, 2012.

1. BigLos

BigLos

I have a 454 BB that I pulled of a 78 ¾ ton pick-up. I keep getting this ugly grinding noise. I first put in some chims but it was not grabbing the flywheel. I than cut the chims in half and put the ½ chims on the outside bolt so it can turn in to the flywheel. It works great for about 5 or 6 times, than it goes back to the ugly grinding. The nose of the starter kept breaking or cracking. Thank god for Autozone lifetime guarantee. So I replaced the flywheel, same thing, I replaced the timing chain, same thing! I am fed up with this. . please help. . . Any suggestions will be totally appreciated, thanks in advance

2. srs1

srs1

Are you sure that the starter matches the flywheel? flywheels and flexplates come in a couple of different sizes. (outside diameters) Some starters have the 2 bolts side by side and some are staggered. those auto zone guys (or girls) aren't always the most knowledgeable.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4. BigLos

BigLos

The starter is the right starter, staggered, the flywheel matches the year on the starter

5. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

Could be over shimmed. If you have multiple shims in your kit, start with the thinest first. Too many shims will hold the starter too far away. It can be easy to over shim, usually the thinest shim works.

6. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I had a similar problem with my 350. It was an extra block i rebuilt and had the starter issues from the start. I ended up putting a few(2 or 3) shims on the outside so the teeth would engage properly.

The stack looks odd but I havent had problem or had to mess with the starter in years. I went through a few starters before i figured it out.

7. Don't forget the bracket at the rear of the starter. Put there for a reason.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Did you check the clearance between the ring gear and starter shaft? needs to be 1/8"

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto 325 w !!