Register now to get rid of these ads!

What year camaro clip ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48bufordsled, Apr 8, 2012.

1. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

Just bought this camaro clip ??? to go on our '47 Stude M5. How do i know what year approx.
    Disc brakes must give it a rough date ??

Paul

Attached Files:

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

If I remember correctly front steer makes it a later model--2nd or 3rd gen. disc brakes hard to tell since they were available on first gen too.

3. maniac

maniac

Front steer I believe is 1970 and later

4. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Second generation. 70-79???? same as mine

Attached Files:

5. 2nd gen Camaro is 70-81. Nova 73(maybe 74?)-79 is also the same. Front steer used on the 2nd gen and the later Novas

What is not so good about what you bought is they are wider track width than the earlier versions and earlier are rear steer. Both better for old vehicle swaps.

6. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

thanks for he info guys

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You may also run into excessive length problems with the front steer as your Studie front fenders don't have much room behind them.

There are rack and pinion steering conversions that permit shortening the frame horns but they are not cheap. You can save a few inches with the stock steering by using a Saginaw 605 box instead of the model (700 series, I believe) currently installed. The 605 box is 2 to 3 inches shorter at the front. Aso, if you are ambitious, you can narrow the crossmember and center link to fit the width of the Studie better.

Ray

8. Deuces

Deuces

If it has 2 piece front rotors, It's a '69.... And it looks like it has those rotors...

9. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Definitely 2nd gen. Couple things about it: Front steer may be a bit troublesome for mounting front sheetmetal and make sure you compare the track width with your Studebaker. The 2nd gen Camaro is right near 63 inches, this may create wheel to fender clearance problem if the Studebaker's track is narrower. If this is an issue Fatman Fab makes control arms that are an inch narrower but they aren't real cheap.

HTH

10. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Fatman arms give you 3" narrower for $970 to my house. choose your front end wisely or end up with a nose bleeder front end that you can't lower

11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Best of luck on your swap.Mount your wheels and tires of choice on that sub and measure your width.
    Engineering your front bracket for the center of the grille mount is tricky.

12. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

One inch narrower per side actually. Just got a set for a customer's 57 that we have in the shop that had a 2nd gen F-body clip installed.

13. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

There's differences in the '70-'81 F body subframes. Look for casting dates on the rotors and calipers.

14. Johnny No Cash

Johnny No Cash
    from NL Canada

I have a 1974 in my 52 chev deluxe and it has the steering box behind the axel.I've been told that 1975 and newer, the steering box is in front of the axel. Good luck with your project.

15. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Must have been from a Nova then. Camaro and Firebird went to front steer with the sector in front in 1970 when they were restyled.

16. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

This place is great................so much knowledge.

Thanks again

17. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Here is a picture of 1 of the narrow upper control arms. About an inch per side. All in all, the subframe and control arms are about the same as a Mustang II but a little more work. The front end is beefier though and probably better suited to a heavier vehicle which I have. Remember a Mustang II probably weighs considerably less than most of the fat fendered cars, even with the engine set back. Just one man's opinion.

Attached Files:

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Novas from 68-74 are rear steering box mount, 75-up have front mounted boxes.
    Camaro went to front mounted boxes in 1970.

I prefer the Nova sub to the Camaro simply because they are all the same.
    You'd be surpised how many clunky Grannycar 4door Novas have discs and PS/PB under their rumpled skirts.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

1. MII uses bigger ball joints than a Camaro. Same ball joints as full size Ford

2. the total weight of the Pinto/Mustang has nothing to do with anything. the motors on these cars are further forward compared to the wheels than any older car, putting more weight up front than you would think. 1949-54 Chevrolets use 4cyl springs with a small block. that should tell you something right there.

3. my FATMAN MII crossmember is twice the thickness of my frame. strength is not an issue with these front end set ups.

20. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

1. I stand corrected, I didn't know that.
    2. I still think the front end of a 70's Camaro is much heavier than a Pinto. I make mistakes all the time though :)
    3. My dad runs them all the time with no problems at all... Never meant to allude to them being weak. Just a control arm comparison in size, that's all. I am still picturing the strut rod type lower arm in my mind. I know they have been improved. He did have to use the V6 Mustang II springs in his 35.

I guess I stand corrected.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  21. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

might concider an s10 clip for track width, disks, and power steering. the steering box may get in the way. but anything can be made to work if done right. nice and cheap too