Register now to get rid of these ads!

272 y block starter issue...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthewsuckerpunch, Apr 8, 2012.

1. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

** i didnt know how to search for this cause its such a specific issue and ive never had it come up, sorry if im a knuckle head**

i just picked up this truck, has a 272 ford y block in it. truck started fine when i picked it up (started several times actually) drove it home, about 15 miles and then it wouldnt start without a push. when i turn the key, i can hear the starter but no go. i got under it and the starter had fallen out cause the kid i got it from was a bone head. now, i put the starter back into place and its still not going. ??wtf changed? was starting, starter falls out, gets reinstalled and now still wont start. it has the old spring gear on it, never messed with one like that, if that helps... im at a loss. im having a shit time finding a new one so if im just being dumb reinstalling please school my ass, im here to learn. ive done a lot of starters but nothing like this one and never had this issue.

2. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

3. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Starter drive looks like it has seem a LOT of heat. Bet it was turning while the engine was running. There has to be a automotive starter,gen,alt shop in Austin. Take to someone who has experence with them. Probably need to replace the whole assy. And do check the mounting holes in the bell.

5. matthewsuckerpunch

matthewsuckerpunch
    from Austin TX

Thanks for the input and advise guys! I'll let ya know what I do with it