Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 holiday build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRH, Apr 7, 2012.

1. DRH

DRH

Picked this up in Springfield, OH off ebay. Some of you might have seen it. Came off the SouthGate, California assembly line in March of 55. It was driven approximately 41,289 miles between then and the time I bought it. The faded KNAC sticker on the rear bumper is from the early 80's and is a Los Angeles area rock radio station. I knew the car was in California over half its life by the condition of the undercarriage and mechanicals. I suspect the car was driven across the country sometime in the 80's, ending up in circleville, Ohio and driven enough on ohio roads to get some rust on the usual areas. then parked. It was undercoated sometime in its life and helped save the underside.

The mechanicals, undercarriage and frame are in astounding condition in contrast to the body and the location of the car for the last 25 + years. I UNBOLTED the gas tank (pictured) and it was sent off to the shop to get sealed. When it comes back I will bolt it back in with its original GM installed straps and fine thread bolts. I took a picture of the trunk floor as well. Yesterday, I took all the wheels off and found brand new shoes up front, and original GM rear shoes that are worn but usable. I adjusted all star wheels, topped off the master cylinder, simply loosened all bleeders (which was unnessecary and now have a nice firm brake pedal. All original brake lines are there and in better shape than my 12 year old truck.

I nearly backed over my little gas saving ford aspire finding out how good the transmission worked before I fixed the brakes. The car should be driving within a week. As you can see, the car didn't escape the midwestern road salt/neglect, and the interior is quite sunbaked from its california days. There are plenty of mice nests to go around. I plan to do the interior in the stock style and color, as you can't beat a black 2 door with a red and white interior.

My goal? Make all the shiny stuff shiny, a flat black paint job, replace the original exhaust which is still there making the 324 rocket too quiet with something throaty, and drive its ass off. The hood is rotted out at the front, was kinked by the same orbital sander jockey who sanded the bare spots in the trunk lid and pushed it outside, and at 28 years old, will now fulfill a dream i've had since childhood: sled riding on a old car hood! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

You've got your work cut out for you! IMO gloss black would look a lot better, maybe even a B/W tutone... but it's your car

3. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

I wondered who took a giant shit in my driveway. :)

KRH

4. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

2nd the gloss.. its really not that much more work when it comes down to it.

We did one at the shop I used to work at that was dark grey and maroon. Metallic of course... it was a great looking car.

5. DRH

DRH

We'll see about the gloss black. It all depends on the cost of everything else, the time, etc. Gloss black the body has to be PERFECT...and getting it there will be alot of work as it has seen its days backing into basketball hoop poles and been down a drive thru pole lightly on the drivers side. On the bright side, I can get a nice black paint job, take it to barret-jackson and have one of the commentators put on a blindfold and feel up my nice paint with his sandy fingers trying to guess what it is. Im thinking black steel wheels with olds poverty caps...what do you guys think?

6. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

My Dad had a 1956 Rocket 88 when I was a kid . It was a 2 tone blue with white top . Car was fast and would burn the tires off the car even as heavy as it was . I love the chrome dash that they had as well .
    If you do the flat black , give it a few coats of clear coat to put some shine into that flat back [aint . Really won't cost anymore for the paint . You could even go with a Satin Black with some clear coat . A flat white paint for the top would really look good too !

Retro Jim

8. Gloss, Gloss, Gloss!!!! I love black cars with red interior.

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Lots of potential with the Oldsmobiles. I have a 55 4dr waiting it's turn. We have done some chassis work and as soon as i find a good set of doors and quarters it's getting a 4dr to 2dr conversion. I agree with the rest and say go gloss black with the paint, you'll be happy with it in the long run. Good luck with your project

10. metalix_421

metalix_421

good luck with the 55, they are a little harder to find parts for so dont sled that hood just yet.:rolleyes:
    but if you happen to run into a 56 pick it up and Ill trade you 55 parts for 56 parts:D

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD.

11. rrthiv

rrthiv
    from S.E.Ohio

Looks like a nice start,i seen it on e-bay but couldn't come up with any extra cash to bid on it...

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool find - can understand not rushing into glossy paint job. attack the rust and put a good quality primer/sealer on it. chrome shop will love you. set of matching whitewalls, seat belts. have fun

13. Please no FLAT BLACK!! A car like that deserves much better! Good Luck

14. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great project and looks to be a fairly complete car, enjoy the ride!!

15. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Gorgeous Super 88, and hats off for bringing her back to life. Makes me miss my '55. As the others stated, I'd vote for a gloss job and bringing her back as she was. That baby was ordered from the factory in 'cool as hell'. Enjoy the ride and post up your progress!

16. 1959apache

1959apache

I am jealous.

Those cars have the look. Looking forward to your progress

17. appaRATus

appaRATus

Nice car! I have a 55 more door that I have been working on for the last two years or so. I do not see many around here and I get a lot of comments on it, paint it flat black or any color you want. It is yours and your money. You will never pick a color that everyone likes.

18. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

very cool man, saw that car on ebay, glad to see it went to someone who is going do do something cool with it...................john

19. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flat paint on an automobile has all the allure of a flat chest on a women. Ron

20. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that has all the makings of a beautiful car,do it proud

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Funny GaryB would say what he did. My paint is flat and I dig slim flat women too!

Yeah, ya gotta stand back and decide what does it for you since it's yours first................

Got a pair of 55 Oldsmobiles myself, so I'm diggin your project too!

Find a way to enjoy it as much as I do mine................

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice looking ride , post some build pics as you work on it

23. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

cool car glad to see another olds here in ohio.

24. DRH

DRH

Finished putting my column back together today and installed my horn ring with the super cool stars in the center. The rubber that holds it on is perished and a few well placed zipties will hold it on until I can get a new rubber. I found another good size hole in the floor pan under the back seat. No biggie, easy fix. I hope the squirrel doesn't mind, my shopvac was hungry for acorns. Its amazing sometimes how much a simple sweep and clean does for things.

I took a picture of the worst part of the floor. Its right above a body mount.

Attached Files:

25. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I say gloss too, and my car is flat black

26. flatoz

flatoz

theres a hood on ebay at the moment that has the diecast chorme strip on it and the rocket and globe, they say the hood is rusty, but the other pieces are worth the asking price.

check out Fusick for parts too, there good for bits and pieces.

I'd also vote for gloss, but if your going to go flat, do a two tone one in one of the original colours.

I have a '55 super 88 that I drive as my everyday car its lowered and a bit of jewellery removed but otherwise pretty much stock, good family car all in all.

27. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I say flat black. I would pick flat over gloss any day for 50s hot rods. If it was a muscle car I would vote gloss black.

28. Super88

Super88

When I've had my 55 out, I'm always amazed at how many people approach me to say that their dad, uncle, brother, or they had one and loved the car.

29. BEAR

BEAR

i have a 56 olds and get the same thing all the time

30. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

My 56 was flat black for years, and I drove the shit out of it
    Then I painted it, It sat in the garage for a year, the shiny paint made every thing else look horrible (chrome, interior etc).
    If you want Flat black, run it.
    fix it as you can ,and DRIVE IT... have fun with it.