Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailer's about finished.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R Frederick, Apr 7, 2012.

1. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Before you get exited, this trailer is intended to haul my car to drag races only.:D
    Mission accomplished, so far anyway. Been spending the last few weeks finishing the trailer I built from scratch. The most difficult thing lately is trying to figure out how to build the ramps sturdy enough, but light enough to move, lol. Finally got the ramps done today and loaded the car on the trailer. One thing I realize now is that I probably need to remove the box off the front so my tie-downs have room to be used on the front. Back to the drawing board. I do like the fact that I can keep the car loaded on a 14 ft. trailer and back the whole setup into the garage though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

good looking trailer. is it regid axle?

3. Got room to bury that storage box under the deck itself? ... in my mind its a necesity for securing winch, tie-down straps , etc when not in use.

4. 59 brook

59 brook

you could use a wheel basket strap over the front wheel with an anchor point in front and run the strap towards the rear

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yes, they are drop axles though.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I thought about making the winch removable, such as a hitch insert.

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Sexy trailer!!!! Good work, man!!!

8. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Another option is mount the box on a stand high enough off the deck to use the front tie downs underneath.

9. Ole don

Ole don

Or, you could pull the front axle straps to the rear and the rears to the front and leave the box alone. Just dont pull any straps over an edge.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nice work. so, tell something about your ride on trailer. yes, there are times that trailers are needed even when not racing. just not for use to go to a car show or on a cruise..

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Car is a 1923 Willy's touring coupe cut down to a two door. As pictured, everything seen was stick built from scratch in the room it's sitting in. Stick built with 2x4 steel box on both.

12. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really nice looking trailer. The car looks great up there.

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks, now I need to build an old truck to pull it. Ha.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"You mean its an "unsprung" tandem axle(s)??

15. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thats a good looking trailer.

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I did. No sense having your winch tied down to your trailer unless you are using it all of the time to pick up inop vehicles.

17. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep ^^^ More than one way to skin a cat! Done this a few times when using borrowed equipment. vic

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Is there a formula for axle placement? I bought a new trailer and feel like I should move the axles closer to the front.

19. jack orchard

jack orchard

Congrats! Great trailer. i'm sure it took a lot of planning and time to end up with the final result. Well deserved attaboys...jack

20. killa fab

killa fab

Should have made the frame and tounge together instead of seperate pieces butt'd up together. Or extend the support underneath the tongue back to the spring hanger. Without that brace underneath the tongue the trailer would fold after twisting the one side of the rectangle steel up so many times.

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I think you might be referring to torsion axles. These are actually 4" drop tube axles with leaf springs.
    [​IMG]

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks for the compliments. I decided I don't like the box. I'll mount the winch to a removable hitch insert. Another reason I took the box off is so I could haul a car that has something in front of the front tires if I have to. These straps have a good draw on them now.:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  23. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Actually, the tongue and header were already intact from the trailer I salvaged them from. I just replaced everything back from there.
    [​IMG]

24. 06 pitbull

06 pitbull
    from GA

nice trailer..I just sold this trailer.. I had bought it..didnt like it after a few uses..so i removed everything..& rebuilt it all stainless steel.. except the frame... I went witha 8.5 X 24ft enclosed... I didnt need 3 trailers.. so i sold this 1.. made good $$ on it.. but I'm always building something..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just finished making a carriage for my ramps. I think I'm about done fabricating for a while.
    [​IMG]

26. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

good looking trailer, im just finishing one up for a little slingshot im building.i like the width on your runners, you can use that trailer for anything the way its set up. nice work.