Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 1939 brake lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Court town 37, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Court town 37

Court town 37
    from Sweden

Hi there

I have a ford 1937 frame wich i have converted to fluid brakes.
    The problem is that i dont have any clue how the front brakelines are fitted on a 39.

Anyone that have any drawings pictures or ideas wich can help me.

Thanks /Christian

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. Court town 37

Court town 37
    from Sweden

Ok thank you

The one thing that i hav´nt been able to see on any picture is how du the brake line go past the area where the x link meet the frame rail...... is there any hardware there to prevent the line to abrade against the frame..

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Are you asking about the front, or the rear brake plumbing ? rears are connected via flex hose, from the m/cyl, to the torwue tube,...the lines to the rear run from a "T", along the raduis rods, to each rear brake.

4TTRUK

5. Court town 37

Court town 37
    from Sweden

Hi again
    I am talking about the front plumbing.
    From the main cylinder the line must go past the area were the x bar merge with the main frame rail and come up on the upside somehow.
    Should it go under or over or under the x bar or do i have to bore a hole through it ??

Thank you and happy easter to you all.// Christian

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The picture I linked is '39-42, making it very generic...there were lots of differences between the years, though I think the routing was very similar.
    From '48 Ford experience:
    Wherever brake lines were exposed to possible impact from debris thrown uop in road, like where they approach rear wheel cylinders and some lines near master cylinder, they were armored with a coil spring wrapped around the line. Where the 3 rubber lines attach to the steel, there is a small bracket with a hole that accepts the end brass of the hose; here a U-shaped retainer slides into a slot in the brass and holds the piece firmly in the bracket. The master cylinder is within the area surrounded by channel frame pieces, and the steel line uver to the front wheels is within a sheltered area. The lines do not abrade because they are clipped to lower edge of frame channel by a small sort of P-shaped clip that snaps onto frame and holds the line.

7. tigermorser

tigermorser
    from Cochrane

here s a pic of my 41 frame routing , frame similiar to your 39 [​IMG]