Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home shop tire machine, I want one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I have the same one. I used to be a tirebuster years ago so once you know the physics of installing or removing one it's just a bit of leverage and sweat to do them.
    Occasionally I use a friends, who has an old FMC same I as used to use at work. Like riding a bike. I can just throw a tire on or off like it was yesterday.

2. a40lover

a40lover

I've been doing my own tire work sense I was a kid. My dad picked up a manual coats back then, and I found a air bead breaker/manual machine after I left home. I got a Montgomery Wards bubble balancer for Christmas years ago. Both have saved me THOUSANDS of $$$$$ over the years.

3. as a former biker?? tire irons will pull your tires on and off and to balance the tire i clamped the tire rim on the front axle to my vise and found the heavy spot and did the weights on the high spot and keep testing to see where it stops and it not that hard to figure out, and never had any problems with the balance:D

just bought a china tire machine and it is the poster child for air leaks then i found out a bad back is not condeusive to tossing rims on a changer:eek:

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

my dad keeps threatening to give me his manual changer--I keep telling him I'll just come to his place an use the pneumatic. don't know what brand it is, but it's old as dirt. he paid like $50 about 25 years ago and uses it all the time. I'm encouraging him to upgrade :)

5. Got a HF machine for 50 bucks. have used it for years to change both car and bike tires. I never got the motorcycle attachment, but, never needed it. couple of tire spoons and a hammer and I'm in business.
    Also, during my racing days, I used a speedway beadbreaker tool and the spoons to change tires at the track.
    As for balancing...So far, I've only had to balance 2 tires, and I used dynabeads on them.

Oh yeah, towel in picture is for the sweat :)

Attached Files:

6. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The only trouble with owning a tire machine, is that they seem to collect all of your buddys old tires in a big pile behind your shop.

7. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

My friend just bought one of these up off CL in Calif. He mounted it to a slab behind his house. I was the first to break it in. My problem is I still think I am 17 and can break down tires no problem. Took 2 of us "old" guys to finally get an old truck tire dismounted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  8. Wags66

Wags66
    from Montana

I tell em up front old tires goes with them when they leave.

9. Noland

Noland

Im just a little guy and I know if had a manual machine it would kick my ass. I have a snap on machine bought it used. Its a newer style machine that has the four jaws that hole the rim on the back side. It has more than paid for itself in changing our tires.

10. knotheads

knotheads

i have that exact model machine. i have been using it for over 30 years. you wont be sorry you bought it.

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

Looks like a rim clamp is the way to go. Does both motorcycle and car tires.

12. Diavolo

Diavolo

This.

They aren't cheap, but they are an excellent design, manual tire changer designed for motorcycle tires but shown in their videos to also do car tires with no issues.

13. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I have just always mounted my own tires by hand. I've actually gotten to the point that I'm faster with a tire iron than the guys at the shop are with the machine. Still have to pay or take them to my buddy for balance jobs though, that part sucks. (they don't always have to be balance BTW)

14. Bumper jack with base on the tire. Most bases are scalloped, so they match the rim, more or less.
    Jack it until tire pops, turn over, do other side.
    Two tire irons and a rubber mallet get the tire off.
    Two heavy feet and possibly a tire iron gets 'em on.
    It's how I've done it for years.

Cosmo

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Never tried that, but I have a cool little bead breaker from harbor freight that I've had for years and years, works awesome. I welded some extra meat onto mine in the form of a gusset, it's super tough now and can even break a bead on an inflated tire. (not a good idea though) Can't beat it for $40, I've had mine for like 20 years and they still sell 'em I'm pretty sure.

Attached Files:

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You can still buy the manual ones from Harbor freight or anyplace like that . If you keep an eye on C/L and local auctions , you can find some of the good older coats machines from the 70's still floating around . I have seen a few in the past 2 months on C/L in Pa . Then all you need is one of the older "Bubble" balancers and you will be in business . I used the bubble balancers many times and they do a very good job ! At $60 a pop , it would pay you back in no time . You can also do you friends tires cheaper too . Then the word would get around that you do tires cheaper and get some business that way to make some extra $$$ for your bike and hot rod !

Retro Jim

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Harbor Freight sells the bubble balancers . Check on line and you can order one that way too . I have seen them in the store and looks just like the ones I used back in the 70's .

Retro Jim

18. BISHOP

BISHOP

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

What is a bubble balancer?

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

21. rustbuild

rustbuild
    from oklahoma

22. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

i have a coats from the 50's, havent bolted it to the floor yet, i still use my friends coats from the 60's or 70's both manual wrestling machines...

23. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

two screwdrivers, cause I'm ghetto like that & it gets it done. No, no video, its too embarrasing, but it gets it done.

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screwdrivers? Really? How do you keep from tearing up the beads? I bought a set of expensive tire irons (very smooth), and have a hell of a time getting the tires on and off. On a couple, I bought some inner tubes to correct my "boo-boo's".

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A guy hired me to 'Painless' wire his '40. After he paid me, he GAVE me a Coates tire changer like a few posts back. (the round one, with upper and lower bead breakers)

My wife and I poured a concrete pad in front of the storage shed, and mounted it with 4 sturdy VW head studs. We painted it Forest green, and it just disappears amongst the blood orange tree and foliage...

Best thing in the world. (I used these Coates machines since '57, when I was an apprentice)

26. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I have a Coates 200 manual motorcycle tire machine. I use it to hold on to anything and work it with spoons. After racing sprint cars for many years you get real used to spooning tires. (obviously before the bead lock days)

27. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

For years I did it like Cosmo,by hand with a bumper jack the I welded the base on so it wouldn't fall off.Them I came across an old Coates unit & been using it ever since.
    When I did them by hand I used broken car springs for pry bars,certain thin & smaller ones work great.Use alittle hand soap & water when puttin them back on,rubber hammer & the spring to finish it.
    As far as balancing them I always took off the old weights & never balanced them,never had any problems.

28. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

I guess I went a little over budget,but I had bought a manual bead breaker from northern tool,but after doing a few tires it bent,plus I got tired of using the tire spoons and a 5 gallon bucket to dismount and mount tires,so I seen an ad from Greg Smith equipment they had a combo sale a tire machine and wheel balancer for $2200.00 shipped.
    It's for car tires but they give you the adapters for the motorcycle tires for both machines,I've had them for 6years and they paid for them self 5x but I do a lot of motorcycle tires and some car and truck tires,what's realy nice is if I get a flat tire in the truck I can put a patch in it instead of a plug and rebalance the tires anytime I want!
    I think it was was a good investment..

29. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

When I was younger, I used a bead breaker and tire irons. Then I picked up a manual tire machine; which worked great until I needed to get rid a bunch of tires and wheels. I borrowed a Coates 20-20 machine from a friend and eventually bought it from him. I wouldn't get anything less than a air powered tire machine, if I were to do it over today.