Register now to get rid of these ads!

good intentions gone wrong

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt, Apr 8, 2012.

1. dirt

dirt

anybody else have any parts that were modified back in the day that make you scratch you head today? i picked up some stuff from a friend of mine a few weeks ago. he was given a trailer with a bunch of stuff in it and he asked me if i wanted to come over i see if i wanted anything. he is not a car guy and he knew i was. anyway, i got a 57-59 corvette fuel injection intake that was converted into a tunnel ram. man that seams like a really dumb idea today but hindsight is 20/20 i guess. here is a pic of it. im going to slap some carbs on it and put it on the shelf in the garage.

anybody have any weird stuff like this?
    [​IMG]

2. Wesley

Wesley

depending on who did that conversion, it could be worth some coin. I dont know for sure who was the first, I have heard on more than one occasion that it was Carrol Caudill (sp). It would be worth some time to research the history on it.

3. dirt

dirt

i had no idea that this was something that was done back then. i thought this was a one off deal. whoever did the welding on it was pretty good. how can i tell who made it?

4. Wesley

Wesley

5. Wesley

Wesley

the scoop on yours looks familiar. do a google search on Butch Lake's 55 sedan delivery and see if you can find a picture. I did some poking around, It may not be Butch's. I do think that the scoop is going to where the clues will be found.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

That is so bitchin.

Good friend you have there !!

7. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

what are the water fills for? i need a pair for my 392. let me know if you want to get rid of them.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You owe your friend a really nice steak dinner. That's some cool stuff there!

9. Deuces

Deuces

Make that a BIG steak dinner and maybe a lap dance at really nice topless joint...:) Did you also get that blower setup with the 2-port Hilborn injector and scoop???

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like junk - please send to me - Ha! nice to have non-car friends that save stuff for you.
    take a look at pics posted here in thread: Barn Find 61 Dragmaster Chassis

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

What class would allow that intake and be limited to that general engine size?

This will make an interesting HAMB CSI case!!!!

12. Larry T

Larry T

Modified Production to start with. After some development work, tunnelrams started outperforming fuel injection so they were seen in LOTS of classes from Gassers to Dragsters.
    Larry T

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

This post has a really poor title thats gonna limit its views unfortunately....
    The right people see this and the answer would be found!

14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Agree, that looks like some pretty unique equipment. Someone will know but the title will not help much in the search.

15. Larry T

Larry T

Ralph Ridgeway and Carroll Caudle both used modified fuel injection intakes while they were developing their tunnel rams in the mid 60's. If it was built by either one of them, it's a pretty unique piece of history.
    But I'm pretty sure they weren't the only ones to cut up a FI intake. They weren't always as desirable as they are now.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dirt

dirt

thanks for all the info. i'll keep digging and see what i can find out on this intake. i will take some more pictures and start a new thread with a better tittle later today. to answer a few questions, yes i got all of that stuff from him.im going over to his place next sunday to pick up the 2 motorcycles out of the trailer and do a second round of searching thru it. the water intakes and the blower stuff i traded to my friend.

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

saw a FI intake similar to that many years ago (63?) on a high winding small block at Raisin City-looked well made and was in a 55 sedan. About a year ago an elderly friend borught over another FI baseplate with adapters made to bolt a 2 bbl carb over the ports--was very well made and he took it to Bonneville and sold it--should have bought it

18. Ebert

Ebert

Early 57 Corvette FI unit just sold on Ebay for over $4000.00

Attached Files:

19. Is that a magnesium Lenco transmission case on the left? Could these have been on a drag boat? The 2 speed Lenco is very popular in marine applications.

20. dirt

dirt

yes its a lenco shur-shift case. he also had a couple of newer boat engine mounts and bell housings. my buddy said he was a drag racer but he never mentioned anything about racing boats. the trailer this stuff is in is an old homemade dragster trailer from the 60's.

21. dirt

dirt

here are some better pics of the intake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]