Register now to get rid of these ads!

1962 Buick Special Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alfredo, Nov 15, 2011.

1. I am new around here, but have been a lurker and tinkerer for a long time. Grew up working with Morris Minors, T and A models in a garage with my father. I have owned various makes and enjoy anything related to wheels and keeping them on the road.

Wanted to post my progress and have an outlet to get help from those on the forum so I am posting here.

Its a 1962 Buick Special 4door 215v8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not exactly my favorite car or dream car, but I can't just let it die. Hoping to get it cleaned up and back on the road in time for winter.

2. Got the glass out of the front and back. Also the rear quarter glass.

Got the interior all out and ground out most of the rust. After getting the majority of the floor to bare metal, I coated it in Ospho. Then came back with some rustoleam white and laid a nice base on. After all that was dry I rubbed coated the inside cab floor with black undercoating and sprayed the trunk with some trunk paint.

Pictures of the black and trunk paint to come soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

Go man, go! It's a neat car and looks very solid. Just don't try to make it something it isn't (i.e. no flames, scallops, or wide whitewalls) and you'll have a really nice car that I'd like to own.

4. 77powerwagon

77powerwagon

never thought i'd see another on of these on here. i have a 61 special with the same 215 aluminum v8. in the middle of a tear down too. check out D&D fabrication for any engine parts, they also have a sweet bellhousing adapter should you have the desire to throw a manual in there. before i started my tear down the little automatic seemed right at home cruising on the highway at 70 mph, its air cooled and the torque converter is finned thought that was pretty cool. sorry for the rant just got excited to see another early 60s special on here. oh one more thing its not the standard BOP bellhousing bolt pattern, its unique to the 215. there are adapters but your gonna have to clearance firewall. hope this info helps ya.

5. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Great car and great motor! I've got a stroked 215 built up with 300 parts backed with a 4 speed in my model A project, love those motors. If you're having a hard time finding the proper seals and gaskets, a lot of the range rover gaskets are a nice upgrade/replacement that may be more readily available and/or cheaper. Good luck!

6. Thanks for all the kind words amigos! I got the dash apart now and gave the gauge cluster a thorough cleaning (pics below). Also finished getting the rear window channel down to bare metal. Hope to get the front down soon. Minor pinholes in the rear that I hope to get filled with some lead.

Anyone know where to get plain windshield gaskets? I have removed all the trim chrome from the sides, drip rail and doors. The windshield molding is chrome and all rotted so I don't plan on using it. All the gaskets I can find are for the molding, but that will look funny as hell without it. . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. nice, I have a '63 waiting in the wings.

8. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Funny how much the turn signal lenses fade out so much...

9. Agreed. I am going to go buy one of these from walmart and see how they hold up to the heat of the light. I think it would be neat to replace the old ones with some purple blinkers ;)

[​IMG]

10. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

that looks too pale to work.

11. slim tempo

slim tempo

Love the '61. Keep on it. I'm working on the lowering of my '62.

Attached Files:

12. Looks good. 215? if so, what kind of mpg are you getting?

13. 77powerwagon

77powerwagon

Look up Steele for windshield gasket they may have one with out the channel in it for the trim. I got a catalog I'll look at tonight if ya don't find any thing online. Or you could always paint the old trim black if its not to far gone. Think I'm going this route myself. Good luck keep the posts coming!

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

15. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I like it. It's different. You have my attention and subscription.

16. slim tempo

slim tempo

V6 198 ci. I'm a slowpoke on the road, gets 18 overall mpg.

17. great project...had a '62 Olds F-85 2 door (same car, different badges) in high school...set of headers, cam and better intake and it ran like a raped ape...wish I still had it

18. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Attached Files:

19. bbforbis

bbforbis
    from Montana

I just put up my 62 Special Conv Up for sale....photo's are in the classified thread

20. Tikitaxi

Tikitaxi
    from NorCal

Nice ride man, I had a '62 Olds F85 2 door with that 215 aluminum V8. I remember the goofy shift pattern on it most of all. Sadly some ass clown totaled it out on the freeway a few years ago.

21. Have been doing minor stuff, saving money and buy supplies/parts. Hoping to get back on it soon. Will keep everyone updated.

22. More stripping, sanding and priming on the roof done last weekend. Tons to do, but steadily working away at it. I feel like the body on this car will be the most challenging in my entire life. Past and future ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Looking good, looking good!

24. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

Great progress and thanks for sharing! Look forward to seeing more. Subscribed.

25. jrdeleon0430

jrdeleon0430

Any updates? It's been a while.

26. crawdadfox

crawdadfox

Cool cars and they do have a small following. Heres a pic of my bagged F85 with 4,000 original miles.....i know billet wheels but hey its 4 lug!

Attached Files:

27. bajones238

bajones238
    from SC

Nice to see another one of these being resurrected. Here is the family wagon (photo taken around 1965).

[​IMG]

28. Update: unfortunately I had to let this one go. Moved west to California and left it behind for someone else to enjoy.

Onward now to another project: hoping for a first gen econoline w/170 :D