Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your car as a stress reducer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Apr 7, 2012.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

haveing to stay with my ederly mother now on most weekends, and deal with other family members who know every thing about healthcare has left me a little shall we say stressed. last night was the first really good weather we have had when the GADSDEN CRUISE IN was going on . i took off early going down. driveing 52 chevy truck this time. nothin special,just loud pipes,great crowd , biggest car count i had seen ever. saw some old friends (aceuh,thanks) the guys from big oak garage and others. i felt pretty good when it came time to leave. heading back it was cool , the truck just seemed to want to run. it was a really clear nite and the moon was full and bright, coming in the back window it lit up the inside of the truck,so much when i went under trees hanging over the road, the sudden shadow on dash made me think the dash lites went out. again the old truck just seemed to want to go faster.any way 2 lane state road, stuck the ipod in first song was "tush" by z.z . look down running 85 mph. next song on ipod, roy orberson,"pretty woman". dang 85 again. next song "takin car of bussiness" by BTO.this time only 75. this is a 2 lane curvy very DARK ROAD. but guys when i got home, i felt like the weight of the world had been lifted.really good show, good music,cool night good friends, and oh good food(KRYSTALS) lol. point is i guess,maybe i don't know, but my car sure did make me feel a whole lot better . sorry for rant. carry on folks:cool:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for sharing the ride. Bob

3. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

That's not ranting....that's sharing ! I doubt if there is anyone here who can't relate. Be cool .

4. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Sounds like a hell of a cruise.

5. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I know the feeling of a vehicle removing stress. I work at WALMART.
    Last night to moon was flashing between the trees to where I thought there was a cop behind me

6. I hear you, stressful times..good for you to find an escape.

7. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

You're a Great American Bob! We're moving back home to AL this Summer BTW! See you soon!

8. swe64

swe64

took my 1963 catalina to town shopping for food and on the way home there was a Audi driving ridiculus slow on a 60 mph road .when road was clear i put in 3 gear and passing with fulltrottle put in 4rth when there was 1/8 behind me.
    this made my day good
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      307 KB
      Views:
  9. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

Sorry i missed you B.A King ...sounds like you had a good time and a nice stress reliever ............

10. Bruce, I am sorry to hear about your mother's condition.

You squarely hit the nail on the head: Our old cars are stress relieving "freedom machines." Our freedom-loving, adventuresome, American spirit is embodied within the antique, hot rods, bikes, customs, and even muscle car drving experience. Funny how a lumpy cam, an exhaust note, coupled with an odiferous 50 year old interior, provides just amount of ambience for eliminating the stressors of day to day living? Of course ZZ Top "Tush" and Carlos riding shotgun can't hurt any either : )

I hope all improves for you and your mom, buddy.

11. srs1

srs1

I'm sure we all can relate to this. When it gets too thick around the shop, I just might have to make an unscheduled trip to the auto parts store. The long way!!

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sounds all too familiar. The most stressful part is getting up early on occasions but once underway it pales into insignificance and is quickly forgotten. I look forward not only to the destination but the journey. On weekends once the chores are done and I've freshened up, time for some stress relief / road testing.

13. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Enjoyed your post, fun read! Oh yes, intimately familiar with the care of aging parents BTDT, ...it's a labor of love of course, [as is building a car for that matter], nonetheless, it can be stressful, and you have my empathy! Then again, the car build process in itself seems to be a fine balance between stress and passion, and I'm in that phase just now, it flipflops back and forth between "Aaaahh!" & "Aaaargh!", ...but I'm looking forward to when it becomes a primarily "down time" pursuit!

14. appaRATus

appaRATus

We were in Gadsden last night as well, driving back home thru the National Forest with a full moon and the cool air made the ride back almost as fun as the cruise itself. I know what you mean when you said it was a stress reducer.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Ever get tired of shifting a manual trans car in stop and go heavy traffic after you get off of work???...:mad:
    Makes me wish I would have ordered an auto trans instead of a manual one when I bought my new car..:(
    Maybe I'm getting old... I'll be turning 52 tomorrow..:(
    I think it's time to sell that Mustang...:(

16. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Will be keeping you and your mother in my prayers, keep on cruising dude.

17. grazy

grazy

I am notorious for jumping in car run to store after something a couple hours later when return my wife asks where is the ( ) I ran to get . I like to down shift and throttle hard as I go around hybrids.

18. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Don't burn yourself out taking care of your Mom- it is no favor to either of you. Consider
    adult day care to give yourself a break now and then- much cheaper than a shrink or
    driving and getting into trouble. Hope all goes well- not trying to preach- Jim

19. tjmercury

tjmercury

Nothing like turning the key and forgetting your woes.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the story. My moms in the hospital and I've done that quite a few times.

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Thanks for taking me along on your ride, sure was fun.
    Taking a cruise in your ride is the Best stress reducer there is (okay, second best).

22. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

My trucks serve as stress reducers in two ways. Just like everyone else I like to take one of my old trucks on two hour runs to the store that would normally take me an hour in my daily driver. When I'm in one of my trucks I never seem to take the most direct route anywhere. I don't have a real hot rod, just one old pickup truck with a flat six engine and four speed and a panel truck with a V8 flattie with a three speed. Both trucks have a personality of their own. They both give me different rides that are just relaxing in their simplicity.

The second form of stress release. I worked in the auto body business for 5-6 years. I started working on my first truck before starting professionally working in the industry. After working in a body shop the last thing I wanted to do was to go home and do more rust and body repairs. My truck sat for over 5 years untouched. After getting out of the business and moving onto a completely different field I found going out to the garage and cutting and welding and grinding was a way to release the stress of the day. I just wish I had more time to relieve the stress now.

23. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Just when you think you're all alone...... Man, I'm on that same path.

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

well, so much for reduced stress.................. crap!

25. aceuh

aceuh

Hope everything is alright Bruce... You know how to reach me...

And the aforementioned pickup....

[​IMG]

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

again, this truck comes to the rescue! and a full moon again!!!! Some days.,.....man i just don't know.

27. Glad you a good time and all went well on your deserved day !!! Days like this for most of us are way to seldom !!!

28. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Dang, my '53 has been nothing but a stress INducer... Maybe when I get it going down the road that will change. Nice ride though! Thanks for taking us along!

29. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Old thread, but the journey ended tonight.95 years. what a journey!

30. 327Eric

327Eric

We find peace in many ways. A pissed off engine and loud pipes on a long road works for me. Sorry to hear that journey ended, but at least she is now at peace. It is a hard road.