Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Way To Cut/Machine Spring Hangers From A 40 Ford Banjo Rear End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VCS, Apr 7, 2012.

1. VCS

VCS

Hi,
    I am converting a 40 banjo to use on my 29 Model A Roadster Project. I need to cut/machine the stock spring hangers off the tubes. The hangers intersect with the flange that hold the backing plates so there is a allot of material to to remove.

Wanted advise of the best way to go about it. Should I cut then grind? Take it to a machine shop to cut it on a lathe?

It took me a long time to find this rear end and I am nervous to start cutting on it without having some guidance!

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

What is your goal? Will this be under a full fendered A or something else? Can the trumpets be swaped out and axles shortened if it is going under a full fendered car?

3. VCS

VCS

It is a highboy, no fenders and length is okay. I just need to cut the spring BEHIND the axle off so I can weld on the buggee spring OVER the axle on for my car. Looks easy, but just want to know best method to use

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Cut them off with a sawzall, leave some material to grind to the final shape. I would use a 4 1/2" grinder with a "mop disc" to finish the job.

Attached Files:

5. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

No need to over think it. Just cut them off and grind down smooth.

6. VCS

VCS

Thank you all for the advise (and especially the pics), ready to get going now.

7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

After you weld the new spring hangers on, you will have to have someone that knows what they are doing, straighten the housings.

8. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

see chris's post about this he used model a housings an cut off the perch an two top backing plate holes an bolted it to the newer housing. no welding to be done

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A PortatBand might make quicker work and easier cut.