Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mig experts...best gas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movingviolation, Apr 7, 2012.

1. movingviolation

movingviolation

Just emptied a bottle of almig gas and wonder what people feel is the best gas to use with mig welders?

thanks
    Leon

2. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

I use C02 from a Fire extinguisher, that have had the internal tube cut off so it get the gas from the top, otherwise you need to use it upside down.

Its the cheapest gas you can get, 20$ for a refill.

I cant see any differance from Mison gas that i used before, that was 70$ to fill + rent for the tube.

3. Hi, Leon.

I just use straight CO2. I also use nothing but copper coated wire. It keeps it from rusting on the spool. I've seen guys battle 'gas' problems, never realizing that their wire had a fine coat of rust on it. A little shot of WD-40 right on the spool doesn't hurt either. Clothespin a rag onto the wire where it goes into the feed rollers to wipe it.
    If the wire is clean, CO2 will work for most anything.

I was given a bottle of fire extinguisher gas by mistake. It looked like a regular welding bottle, but was intended as a propellant for a restaurant range hood extinguisher. It froze my flow meter on the inside and started spitting ice and water into my welds. I was pretty perplexed until I saw the Popsicle on top of my gas bottle. I've never heard of using a modified extinguisher, itself. Pretty cool idea if it works ok.

JOE:cool:

4. jmpowie

jmpowie

I use argon/co2 mix for steel, straight argon for alum.

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I use 75/25 too, never like the splattering of straight CO2. Of course straight argon for aluminum

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!---co2 is the cheapest all around----Argon for more precision.

7. YocumBros.

YocumBros.
    from Raleigh NC

This is the best way to go for quality results.

8. PinHead

PinHead

Straight CO2 is supposed to have better penetration than an argon mix, but your welds won't look as nice. I've never used it before, but it sounds kind of interesting if you do a lot of butt welds on sheetmetal, since they get ground flush anyways.

9. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

75/25 if I care, straight co2 if I don't,like on a driver quality chassis repair, etc.

10. fleet-master

fleet-master

CO2 is usually a hotter weld, hence possibly better weld penetration, argon is a smoother and prettier weld. I used CO2 (on steel) for many years with no problems.I have a converted fire extinguisher bottle...no rental fees!

11. F&J

F&J

Co2 for over 30 years with the same Miller 35.

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I've still got my Miller 35, around the same amount of time, use it all the time. No issues ever, great machine.

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

75/25 argon mix . You will never go wrong with that !

Retro Jim

14. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

75/25 argon mix. Safe bet. Works great

15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Straight Co2 for structural steel where you need 100% penetration,
    75/25 for other stuff..less clean up,
    straight argon for aluminum and mag.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good lord, where do these guys come up with this crap. :rolleyes: The wire is NOT copper coated to prevent rust :rolleyes: It is that way for better electrical conductivity at the contact tip.

And only an idiot would spray something like WD40 on the wire.

The best gas by far to use is the C25 mix, 75 % Argon and 25% CO2.

17. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Ditto... 75/25

18. Great info ,I have a MIG sitting around doing nothing as rental and bottle prices are now bullshit in OZ , I will be giving the fire extinguiser a go ..

19. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I work as a welder at a company that makes hydraulic cylinders and the most common gas is a what we call Mison 18.
    Its 18% argon and 82% Co2,

So all you 25/75 guys,its 75% Co2 and 25% argon not the other way around.

20. F&J

F&J

Take a look in the Model 35 wire compartment, on the inside of that door; there should be a Miller Chart showing "which gas mix to use, for whatever wire size/& heat setting".."for good-better-best welds".

On that chart, Argon mix is not needed on most stuff we do, to get best welds.

21. 75/25 here.

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Considering the huge price difference up this way...I'm not a good enough welder to worry about the difference in visual weld "quality" by using mix!
    The grinder disc doesn't seem to notice the difference anyway. :p

I'm a HACKER after all...LOL

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  24. I use CO2 for 90% of my welds with no problems. I do have a 20lb. bottle of 75/25 that I use once in a while.

Lee

25. And everybody says, "Hey, Joe, how come we don't see you on the H.A.M.B. anymore?"

Did I say the copper was there specifically to keep it from rusting? No. It just happens to be a benefit I picked up on over bare wire after nearly 40 years as a professional welder.

Leon also lives in the north, where temperatures fluctuate, and he's also on an island. I've never been there but I imagine a little humidity. WD-40 doesn't hurt one thing, a light mist on the spool and a wiping rag as it leaves the welder and you won't notice a thing. Only an idiot would let a $75 spool sit and rust and then try to get any good welds from it.

See you guys in a couple more years...

JOE:cool:

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I edited your comments to leave anything of value that you posted. :p

You can't buy non copper coated solid MIG welding wire.

If you know what google is then perhaps you should use it :D

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you guys get so riled up about mig gas, makes me wonder how you handle the serious stuff in life :rolleyes: Jezz guys, is another guy's opinion that worthless that you have to jump in his s*** over it ?

We use 75/25, for what it is worth.:)

Don

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

75/25 Argon/CO2 is the best balance. Your supply house may have a name for it like C25, Stargold, etc. I have emptied over 250 K-bottles of C25 in the last 10-years.

Nothing in the automotive world requires the "extra" penetration afforded by straight CO2, unless you are using the wrong process, the wrong machine, or both. All you get is more spatter.

NEVER spray anything on the spool, unless you are a fan of contaminating your welds. Get caught doing that in the real world, and you are likely to have all of the welds you have done called into questioned, if not outright failed by an inspector.

How do I know? I have been called in, TWICE, to grind out and re-weld extensive jobs (10+ days, each), where the "pro" lubricated the spool. Just don't.