Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. I found a great thread with a link on the hamb about SW gauges and thought i'd put it up. I have most of my questions answered except the year of the dash bezel and one gauge has a black tail on it.

http://www.roadsters.com/sw/#early

2. bizzkitt

bizzkitt

Well uncle Ted, it took me an hour or two to read this whole thread but it was definatly worth the time. I have to admit that the pics don't do the car justice and I guess I'm spoiled because I can see it in person. I can't wait to get some more time off and polish some more mouldings ha ha. Great build and I can't wait to see it finnished

3. Well looky who joined The Hamb. Hey Mike come on over anytime. A helping hand is always welcome for sure. Always willing to show you a few tricks and always willing to learn myself. Enjoy yourself on the Hamb. Lots of kool stuff here.

4. Got some wiring done this week. I don't know if it's the best wiring kit out there but the local speed shop, Softys Speed Shop, sells them and i bought it. Kit is from Keep It Clean and everything worked out nicely. Everything works, nicely labeled, idiot proof diagrams to follow. It's all good. It's so much cheaper, faster and the end result is just plain cleaner in the end. I think i'll redo the rpu as well. My homemade wiring from 30 yrs ago is not that great althou it's worked all these years.
    Got a little paint on my speedo head as well. Two tone, vanilla and gold. Now to put it back together without scratching it.

Attached Files:

5. A little detail comming along. Yes those are budget guages. Blanked out the original guages. I may put a tach in the ash tray hole and the radio has me up in the air at this point.

6. Pics

Attached Files:

7. Tackled the gas pedal assy tonite. Didn't want to buy or use a late model so i came up with this little number. I just remodeled the original. I'm going to be using a cable system to the carb .
    Also reconfigured the dash abit and installed the heater assy. Slow going but it's getting there.

Attached Files:

8. Can anyone tell me if i have the heater hoses in the right locations to the heater control valve and core?

Attached Files:

9. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

this build is comming along nicely. good work!

10. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Don't know if this helps, because it's from tearing down my car with the original flathead, but here ya go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Sweet build!

12. Ah , there we go. Looks like i have mine bass akward. Thanks for the pic. Something else to check off the to do list.

13. My rad arrived on friday. 66 Mustang variety. Fits nice, easy install.
    Also made my seat mounting plates welded in the floor. Ran out of argon again. I used the 50 Ford seat side trim to hide the seat tracks. Just have to paint them vanilla.

Attached Files:

14. A friend of mine dropped of this grille today. Add a few bars and i think i'll go with it. I have a old cal custom grille bar off a merc also. Any opinions?

Attached Files:

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I like the grill bar. $.02

16. snelson57

snelson57

The grille bar by a mile.

17. I like the bar to but every time i get a new part for a new look i get excited. I'm constantly changing my mind about things , So grille bar, 2 in a row.
    Pic is the best i have right now and it just sitting there on a 2x4 and wired

Attached Files:

18. One more for the grill bar. That Merc grill looks like your car ate a slinky.

19. LOL. Thanks guys. I guess that's enough to tip the scales. Oh, the grille is from a meteor

20. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

21. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Ate a slinky. Now that's funny. One more for the bar. Nice build.

22. Grill bar for sure if u don't. Pack it up I'll pay what u want and send it to aus so I can slam it on mine cause it's cool as

23. I'll keep that in mind but may be awhile. I thought meteor grilles where popular

24. Well the weather is getting real nice lately and it's time for some cruisin and forget about the 50 for awhile. I might do a little on rainy days but time to dust off the rpu and torino and mc and enjoy. The Royal Enfield hasn't run in a few years.

Attached Files:

25. 51custom

51custom

Hey , tedley, where you with the FGH?? Just noticed the background of one of your pictures...
    Jim

26. Not exactly sure what FGH is but i'm thinking your referring to the WW2 tank in the bike pic? Is FGH a squadron in the armed forces? No i'm abit young for that since i was born in the early 50's.

27. 51custom

51custom

Hey ya, FGH is a now disbanded armoured corps of the armed services I have a buddy that was in them many yrs ago, I also was in different armoured corps in Calgary back in the early 60's...was just was wondering. Thanks for the replay...
    Jim

28. 51custom

51custom

I see you were thinking of a single grill bar for your shoebox...well here is one I came up with when I built this back in the early '90's it was my very first full custom, with a 3" chop...Sad to say I had to let it go when I retired,,,NO pension NO funds and NO place for it..kicking myself everyday...
    Jim

29. Beautiful car Jim. Sorry you had to let it go. I'm in the same situation down the line so i'm enjoying now. My rpu was sold back in 85 due to circumstances and haunted me all those years. I bought it back about 3 yrs ago. Not that i could really afford it, but i had to do it in this life.Full circle.

After seeing your car with the bar,i 'm really swaying for that look.

Attached Files:

30. 51custom

51custom

Thanks for the nice compliment, ya life can get in the way sometimes. The grill bar was a homemade piece. It is actually a front bumper from a '69 Mack 1 Mustang. I discovered that it might work after a good friend and I parked beside each other at a cruise nite. I just eyeballed his front bumper the size and shape and said (HEY) that will work! He says I got a spare at home you can have (Thanks Glen)..The thing fits the '51 parking light housings like it was made for it the angles are just right...A little cutting and welding and your good to go...Hope this helps. So, on with the No budget build... '51 Mordor..
    Jim