Register now to get rid of these ads!

need advice about a deal gone bad??? what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

He's trying to hose you... "Integrity" and "Honesty" doesn't mean the same as "let people take advantage of you."

The lugnut holes look fine.
    If he's having the car restored by a shop, THEY could be telling him those wheels aren't any good, "but hey! We've got a line a set that are mint."

He got a hell of a deal on them, and there is NO reason you should be out any money. If he is really unhappy with them, he's free to sell them to recoup some of his investment.

-Brad

2. Those lug holes sure look round to me ... nothing oval as far as those pics are showing. As others have commented, those are 30-40 year old wheels and were not advertised as NOS so I don't get what the issue is. I see absolutely no reason why those wheels can't be run as is.

My guess is he is being a cheap prick and is hoping you will send him back some money. As someone else mentioned, the center cap covers any flaws this clown is whining about (that I do not see). If these are supposed to be going on a "100 point restoration" he sure as hell should not have been buying anything less than NOS. He's trying to scam you for a couple bucks. It would be interesting to see your ad ... regarding any mention of "as-is" or "no returns".

How you handle this is certainly your decision but as far as I can see, his complaint is not justified and therefore (in my opinion) you have every right to refuse to take them back.

My opinion ... do NOT give him back ANY money. If he feels the need, he can pay the return shipping PLUS the $25 you lost shipping them in the first place AND any fees you will incurr relisting, selling them again. Me? I'd just shrug it off ... there are some real dicks in this world, looks like you just met one.

3. Deuces

Deuces

I viewed those pictures on my 47" HDTV..... There's nothing wrong with those lug nut holes.... Looks like normal wear to me...
    Tell the little weiner to buzz off! :cool:

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

they look excellent for 40 years old, if you gave him a 100% satisfaction guarantee give him is money back if not let him resell them himself if he is not happy they are far from destroyed and he is being unreasonable, he will recoup his money back if he decided to resell

5. Someone already said it "Some Vette guys are anal." .... I know, I own one !, but it sounds like this guy is a whiner that always wants his way. He either wanted perfection for a cheap price or found a better set ...... have he send them back on his dime and return the balance after your costs (including previous adv ertising) are deducted.

I listed a "one year only" set of 68 rallye wheels and the buyer was whining the AG stamps wasnt sharpe a chrisp ..... I told him to find another set if he didnt like them ... he bought them and still whines to this day, as if I worked at Kelsy-Hayes and didnt stamp them to his liking ..... the buyer is NOT always right.

6. deto

deto

You guys are too nice. Tough titties. Those lug holes aren't destroyed an you shouldn't take them back.

7. Mooosman

Mooosman

The wheels are used, and are 40+ years old. The buyer knew it, and knew he wasn't getting NOS wheels.

The wheels look fine. It sounds to me like the guy was expecting NOS quality for a swap meet price. I'd tell the guy a deal's a deal, no refunds.

Nick

8. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

caveat emptor... buyer beware. or as i like to say "pound sand vetteboy". Nothin wrong with those wheels and i'd run em. If you think the customer is always right, you best not ever work in a dirty bookstore... : O

9. Deuces

Deuces

Some folks are like that...:rolleyes:

10. cheveey57

cheveey57

Don't worry about your rep, the wheels are good used as described. Let him and this issue go.

11. S.F.

S.F.

This is a very true statement....looks to be the case of an anal vette guy. Those wheels are not destroyed to you and I; but I know several vette guys that would absolutely NOT put those on his car ever....unless maybe to roll the chassis around the garage during the build. Im guessing the guy is not a "cheap ass s.o.b" (in your words) He just wants nice stuff for a 100 point restoration...in that case he needs to be looking for new old stock parts. Just tell him they will be good garage rollers

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  12. Those wheeles are fine. Make him ship them back to you on his dime first.don't make any deals for less money, no reason for you to lose money.
    X2
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

13. Deuces

Deuces

...... Or to mount a set of slicks on to for the F.A.S.T. drags.. :rolleyes:

14. Dino

Dino

I would run them, but he always has the option to tig 'em up if he's not happy. In the interest of fair trade, offer cash back as long as he covers all the shipping. I personally think they look fine.

15. swazzie

swazzie

Be realistic about this. If he wants his money back make him ship them first so that 1; you know your getting the same wheels back 2 ; that he hasn't damaged them and the photos he's sending you aren't bullshit 3; he pays the shipping and doesn't get money back for shipping and doesn't get money back for the wheels until you receive them. This is a standard practice for people who actually agree to accept returns on used items. As far as your reputation is concerned, after that you have been more than accommodating and you are being SMART in protecting yourself. We all realize two things with old car parts. They are expensive to ship and we don't make alot of money off of them. As far as I can see these rims are in great shape. I have seen alot of stupid money spent on correct stamping wheels. If he wants to bitch about wheel prices tell him to look at correct stamping hemi wheels. Then, tell him to go fuck his self! Use your head. You were doing him a favor to start. G'luck.

16. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

I think we can all agree that the guy's full of shit and doesn't know what he's talking about. But if this is a paypal deal then be prepared for all kinds of weirdness. Hopefully he sent you a cashiers check or money order?

17. Dealing in used parts all my sales are as is no refunds, and i put lots of pics up and tell them if they need more info or pics to contact me, otherwise sold AS IS no refunds. how can you control what the buyer thinks is OK? not everyone has the same view thats why the pics. tell him that they are a good used, usable set of wheels. If you sold them through epay report him as trying to extort money from you for feedback, they don't look kindly on that.

18. samurai mike

samurai mike

make sure you get all four back, not just the "bad" one.

19. trksmth

trksmth

Sounds like one of my deals that had gone bad.

What could I of done?

I had offered two sets of used Dana 60 inner and outer front axle shafts on e-Bay, for both sides, two different auctions.

Both starting at $40.00, both sold.

One side sold for $90.00.

Other side sells for $40.00.

The one that sold for $40.00, The buyer contacts me and wants me to pay for a new U-joint, $50.00, because it was bad.

I said, I'd be happy to take the the two, inner & outer axle shafts back and give full refund, w/shipping both ways, back to him.

I said, I would NOT pay him $50.00 for the new u-joint, I said, please call me if this is unfair to him and we'll work it out.

He didn't call me, but left me bad feedback. My good score of 100% for over 100+ sales, was gone. thanks to him. Mike

20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> From what I see, the condition of those wheels falls well within the acceptable range of a used part purchased online.

One of the things I love about hotrodding is the ability to customize and make a vehicle your own. Your buyer is apparently limited to obsessing about degrees of perfection. I don't know, maybe that&#8217;s a &#8216;vette thing. Might as well give up cars and groom poodles as a hobby.

21. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I think you nailed it.:D:D:D

22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The best "Legal Advice" I was given by a lawyer.

DO NOTHING!!!

23. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The wheels look fine to me and a lot better than most used wheels that are out there. I agree, it sounds like someone wanting a little money back. I would have him ship them back on his own dime and offer to refund his purchase price minus whatever you paid to ship them the first trip. Even the best speed shops have a restocking fee and you should not lose one dime due to him being anal!

24. Deuces

Deuces

I bet that buyer is having a riot reading this thread.. He's probably turning 10 shades of red..:mad::D

25. XXL__

XXL__

A month or so ago, I ebay'd a "train horn" that was brand new in the factory sealed package. I described it as "Kit includes 3 horns-- high tone, medium tone, and low tone, heavy duty compressor, air line, 12v relay, assorted hardware, and documentation." I got the term "train horn" from the manufacturer's website.

The guy bid, sat on his bid for several days, paid, and I promptly shipped. The day he got it, he started emailing me that it wasn't as described, that it wasn't a "train horn." I asked if it looked like the item pictured-- yes. I asked if it had 3 horns, compressor, air line, relay, hardware, and documentation-- yes. He then told me that it didn't sound like a train... but he also said that he hadn't opened the package yet. I asked how he knew that it didn't sound like a train if he hadn't opened the package and wired it up. No response for a couple of days, then negative feedback left for me-- "The title was misleading and I bought the wrong horn because of it." In other words, his wife found out he spent the baby formula money on a toy for his car instead. Douche.

It doesn't appear that you misrepresented anything about your sale. I say tell him to take a hike, and live with your "negative" feedback just like I am with my deal above. I've got 14+ years of feedback on ebay... if anyone is afraid to buy something from me because of one flaky looking deal, then please don't buy from me.

26. Do whatever helps you sleep... Plain and simple

27. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Sounds like you need to have him put on his jammies and read him a story----Christ!

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is one of many things I hate about Ebay these days, a buyer can put in bad feedback but the seller doesn't have the same rights. Ebay does nothing to protect their sellers, and yet without sellers Ebay would be out of business.

Don

29. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

This happened to me once along time ago over at egay.I sold a set of wheels .According to buyer I listed them wrong and he wanted his money back.I said sure ship them back to me.I encouraged him to put a dispute in with paypal on these .He never sent them back so I won....On everything that I sell I take returns but the purchaser pays shipping back....John

30. Deuces

Deuces

Ain't that a bitch....:rolleyes: