Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Dust Bowl Special"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Very cool.

2. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Man.....we have the same exact likes:eek:Except my time-period starts in the 30's and goes to the late 50's. I'm 15 btw.

Awesome progress on the car by the way!

3. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks CAL!!

Clayton,
    I'll get some measurements out to you this weekend. I've never seen a 26-27 like this one. Kind of an odd sized opening for the truck as compared to the other ones I've had/seen.

Thanks Elvis!! It's great to see someone your age so into the cars of these periods. Keep it up!!

Well...I picked up a new goodie for the Dust Bowl the other day. I've always liked these 3 piece, Mallory, coil brackets. This one came with a good working Mallory coil too!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. MrModelT

MrModelT

You lucky dog you :D

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

So...The "Dust Bowl" got a a seat and belts tonight. Not a high dollar upohlstery shop job but it's better than the army blanket that I had in there before. I finally broke down and bought some naugahyde that looks and really feels like leather. I've become fixated (as I tend to do) with this seat deal and so wrapped up in trying to figure out what material to cover it with that looks right in it and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that I wasn't getting anything done. Tonight, I bit the bullet and went to the local upohlstery shop and picked this stuff and some foam up. It was all 50% off...just the way I like it! Anyway..a couple of hours later, here it is. Again, not fancy but looks OK and is very comfortable! I've had the belts for a couple of years that were intended for another project so I put them in. My kiddos will ride in here with me (There's another belt set tucked under the seat for the pic) so it needed something. This is all going to have to do for now until I get some more dough to throw at it!!

[​IMG]

6. NoSurf

NoSurf

Man, that is cush!!

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

honey, where's the remote?

8. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

HAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, yeah....I know. It's like putting panty hose on a pig but I needed something. I'm afraid that it kind of stands out on the car but oh well...it did turn out OK for a quicky job.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  9. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nice work Bugsy! I love the seats!....those are next on my list too! :D

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Clayton,
    Thanks for that and your advise on the material. Like I said (and you've seen me do before) I was way over thinking this deal and just needed to keep it simple and try to keep it as something that would fit the period and my budget within reason!!

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i think it's perfect. and it'll break in and look like it belongs there in no time.

12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks man!!! I appreciate that! It does need to "wear" some since it really shines like a dime in a goats ass at the moment but hopefully it will break in with a bit of use. Overall...I'm pretty happy with it. The brown really matches the rust well!!

13. LostHope

LostHope

Im liking the coil alot ,and the seats actually look like they are comfortable....."dime in a goats ass" made me chuckle:D Glad your staying busy with it, now im gonna have to go do something to one of my projects to show you up:eek:! gotta keep pushing each other LOL...

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

You don't have to try very hard to "show me up"!!!!! You get more done during an evening smoke break than I get done in a month!!!! This thing has been like "Hot Rod" by numbers compared to that 54 of yours!!!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  15. I love the coil! it's those details that set this car apart.
    I think I know where the dime came from!

Attached Files:

16. LostHope

LostHope

Hey Jason.
    I dont watch the news much but today I just happened to have it on and seen there has been some twisters touching down in you part of the country, I hope all is well and you and your family,and any friends are safe hope to hear you and the "Dust Bowl" are still in alright condition!

17. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I am really starting to turn from a 50's-60's era hot rodder to a 20's-30's fan. I love the liberal use of wood on these cars, I don't know why, I'm not a carpenter. My truck still uses all the stock type wood. I am about to create some thin wood kick panels. Mr. Model has been a big instigator, and now I will ad Bugsy to my list of influence. I really love Mr. Model T's roadster, especially with the top up! Dare to be different and cool at the same time!

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey man...thanks for checking!! We are good but there was shit blowing up all around us in every direction last night. It was one cell after another blasting through and a bunch of tornadoes all around. I know that Wichita got hit and just about everywhere did to a certain degree. My Sister and brother-in-law ranch north of me 25 miles and they took a hit last night. Lots of damage but they are OK. The next car I do will be dubbed the "Twister Special"!!!

I love all eras of cars but the 20's to just before the war really speaks to me and always has. There is something beautiful in the simplicity of the era and I LOVE anything Deco. I also just love this period in our American history for many reasons.....I'll say that there are a lot of folks on here that are a "bad" influence on me!! :D But also motivate me to keep going and I get a ton of ideas from. I think that this era of car is getting a bit more attention lately and I think that's GREAT!! Get a basic idea of what you want and start collecting the parts!! They make for a fun build for sure!!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  19. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

So, I'm more than disappointed that I wasn't able to make it to the anual, Mid-West HAMB-B-Q, that is put on by "NoSurf". That has been a goal of mine and it pushed me to get crackin' again on the "Dust Bowl Spl." Basically, the car and I were ready to roll when all hell broke loose for me this past Saturday at work and otherwise, and I wasn't able to make it. I'm sure it was a blast and I sure missed meeting and seeing everyone that was there. Hopefully, I'll make it to the drags or another get together this season. Anyways.....I did manage to get a couple of more things done like chop down the windshield posts and frame. I was just going to chop the posts and use the lower windshield but I came across a pic a while ago and always and liked how this fella did his back in the day. I like the look of the sectioned, top half of the frame and posts. It's different and adds a bit more height to the windshield but still has a chopped look to it. I took about 5 1/2 inches out of the top frame and posts. They are just roughed in but I'm pretty happy with the look. I still need to smooth the posts a bit and put the glass and rubber in but I dig it!!

Here's how mine turned out so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far. Also, I mounted my "new" Mallory coil and 3 piece, Mallory bracket. It throws a hot spark and look fits the car. I've been looking for one of these Mallory, coil brackets for a long while and was pleased to find this one and the coil at the same time!

[​IMG]

20. You've really done a stand up job on that roadster. Banger powered traditional T's and A's are my favorites.

21. Awesome Bugs! I saved that same picture to do that treatment on mine!

22. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thank you!! They are my favorite too!!

HAHAHA!! That's awesome!! Great minds think alike!! I always thought that this was kind of a slick way to do this and it's different too. It was a simple deal to do as well. It only took me about an hour from start to finish. Like I said, there is some more that needs to be done but I like it so far. The top frame is sectioned (and not just chopped) so that I could retain the end caps for the glass. I'm excited to get all of the rubber and glass in to see how it will really look!!!

23. MrModelT

MrModelT

I gotta say, I like how this turned out. I have that picture in my stash of "gowjob" goodies....that style looks good on your rig...nice work! :D

24. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks Clayton! I may end up taking just a bit more out of it but at the moment, I'm pretty happy with it!! Also, the "Dust Bowl" just got assigned it's very own VIN! I just had the inspection done over the lunch hour and now I can get it titled and tagged! The State Trooper that did the VIN assignment/inspection, really got a kick out out of the old girl!

It's getting closer!!!

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

So the "Dust Bowl" is actually legal now? Very nice! :D You are making great progress! keep it up!

26. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well...."Legal" might be pushing it a bit but yes...she's starting to walk the line!!!

27. LostHope

LostHope

Hey Jason I'm diggin the window treatment, looks good! Any progress or did you get it all legit and are to busy driving it for updates:eek: ... Anyways hope alls well and will be keeping a eye open for updates!

28. Mart

Mart

Cool cool cool. Very often simpler is much better.

Mart.

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I wish that was the case!! Man...I was so giddy about getting the VIN assigned last week that I haven't done a thing to it!! I have a list about a mile long that needs to be done too! I plan on getting all the lights and charging system working this weekend and want to get some glass and the rubber for the windshield. I need to re-motivate myself! My old Ironhead (daily rider) had clutch issues and started leaking from the right side tank. I have a 600 mile trip to make at the end of the weekend on it so I've been putting time into that. It's a little POS too but it's paid for!!

Thanks Man! I appreciate that! I agree with you and I think that's why I've always been drawn to this era of car. I like something that isn't loaded up with do-dads and is purpose built. There is beuty in the simplicity of them.

30. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Updates? Dying to see more.