Register now to get rid of these ads!

need advice about a deal gone bad??? what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Apr 6, 2012.

1. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

sold a set of wheels to a guy and he wants his money back claiming the wheel is no good because the lugnut holes are destroyed.

he sent me pictures and here they are.

this wasnt a hamb sale, but i need advice ? what woud you do?

these wheels are for a 69 vette, they are original wheels with the correct stampings and i sold the set for for a decent price. i never claimed them to be new old stock, i listed them as used wheels.

i see nothing here that would lead me to believe the wheel is no good.

i shipped them half way across the country so its not like i can take them back.

i think the guy is just trying to get a few dollars back from me for no good reason.

my reputation is more important to me than the lousy money, but i wont be manipulated by some cheap ass son of a bitch.

Attached Files:

2. He's either overly picky/inexperienced or found some cheaper or you charged too much for 'em?

3. If your pictures were close to the same as these i would say these were sold "as is",,,I suspect the purchaser did not do his research as to the correct date codes for his car which you disclosed to him....if you offered a guarantee and money back if not satisfied then i would say refund but if he had knowledge of condition of the wheels prior...condition etc......id say those wheels are his.....i think he is using the lugnut area as an excuse because someone tightened up the lugs at one time...i would say he bought em!

4. PaRatRod

PaRatRod

Some Vette guys are very anal to the point of obsessive. I can say that because I am a Vette guy and know some of these obsessive guys personally. Unless I am missing something they don't look destroyed to me but what do I know? If you don't care about the money cheerfully refund him fully upon the return of the wheels in the same condition that you sold them- of course the return trip has to be on his dime. You sold them as USED, not NEW. They are 40 years old. The wheels have been on and off the vehicle quite a few times in the lifetime of the vehicle. Brake changes, state inspections, etc. What does the guy expect? If he wanted wheels that were never mounted on a vehicle he should have bought new wheels, not 40 year old ones. Am I missing something here? Anyone else agree? Disagree?

Happy Easter!

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I don't see enough wear/galling,etc. on those lug holes to give cause to concern about their use.
    If you supplied these same pics to buyer and he sent money, I'd say they're his now.
    Send him a link to this thread!
    Dave

6. I would probably run them and not give it a second thought but I didn't buy them from you.

have him ship them back to you and send him his cash when you get them back and they are the same wheels that you sent him.

That will cure him from sucking eggs.

7. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The guy is either a dumb ass or an unreasonable prick. Which? I can't say...

I would give the guy the option, if he pays shipping (both ways) refund his money, if not, tough shit.

Of course this might be different if the original conditions of the sale preclude this.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There is nothing abnormal about those lug nut holes at all. Hell, he should see some of the 1940 Ford wheels we hot rodders use, those really have some wear in that area !

As PRR said, Vette guys are very anal about stuff most of us wouldn't even think about. I would send him a link to this thread and tell him the wheels are fine.

You know they make conical (sp?) shaped washers that are designed to go into that hole before you put the lug nut on and take up any wear. We are running them on two of our cars and they do a nice job and keep any further wear from happening.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. I agree with the guys, if you tell him to absorb shipping both ways he will go away.

Don

9. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i second that

10. 73RR

73RR

Take the wheels back but he pays the freight, and make sure the wheels he sends are the wheels you sold.

The holes look fine and a nut will obscure the view...unless someone has a magnifying glass...

There is always someone trying to get over on a seller for reasons already noted.

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

If you have a dissatisfied customer, refund his money. This is the TRADITIONAL and HONEST way of doing business.
    Sell the wheels to someone else, after describing them as "some wear around mounting holes".

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Ruined? I wonder if new wheels would even be good enough for this buyer if he thinks these are ruined? My guess is either he's anal, or has a case of buyer's remorse and is making excuses to get his money back.
    If it were me I'd probably tell him to send them back and I'd send the price of the wheels minus shipping back to him. Why should you lose any money when it's his issue, not a real problem?

14. alchemy

alchemy

Those are NOT "destroyed". But, I would refund his money (minus original shipping costs) if he returns them in the same condition.

15. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

After 25+ years in business, I have to disagree. that "customer is always right" shit is not really traditional, it started a few decades back and has really come into it's own with today's "entitlement mentality".

I say the customer is right sometimes, but sometimes the customer is just a DICK. Doing business "on principal" is not always a one way street. Principals work both ways.

16. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Those wheeles are fine. Make him ship them back to you on his dime first.don't make any deals for less money, no reason for you to lose money.

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing precludes this guy from being BOTH a dumb ass AND an unreasonable prick. I believe that he fits both descriptions.

18. jick

jick
    from london

there wouldnt be many cars on the road if wheels like that weren't good enough to run.......there's no pleasing some people though!

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Tell him he has to pay shipping both ways, and when you get them back, say you can't accept then because they're not in the condition you sent them in. And then make him pay to have them shipped back again. :D

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I agree with above. The guy is being a jerk. I would have ZERO expense in this if he wanted to return them to me. Tell him he can return them at his expense and you will be happy to refund his money. Or tell him he bought used parts and quit whining.

21. rustang

rustang

+1.. those wheels are not destroyed, and are just fine.

I would have him send them back on his dime, re-fund his money only AFTER you get them back and have verified they are the same wheels you sent....

I had a buddy of mine sell some motorcyle heads to some clown off e-bay who claimed that one of the heads was bad... my bud, being a trusting soul (and not wanting negative feedback) said "send it back", and re-funded his money.... the head that came back was not the same head, The one my buddy sent was all nice, beadblasted and clean... the one he got back came with 30 year old paint, grease, a bent valve and stripped out plug hole....but I degress..... there are ass-wholes out there...
    Tom

22. Deuces

Deuces

There's nothing wrong with those rallys.... I'd mount those on a Camaro if I had one....

23. If he is paying the freight, he is serious about wanting to return them. Otherwise he is just some flopcock trying to weasel out of a deal .

24. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

LOL point noted.... :D

25. outlaw256

outlaw256

bad wheels? that GUY IS NOT ANAL, that guy is a idiot. nothing wrong with them 40 yr. old wheels.i would almost be tempted to send him a rasp file and tell him to fix them.

26. trksmth

trksmth

I looked at every hole to see what he is talking about.

I see nothing wrong with them, being 40 plus years old.

Did he pay new price or more? They are not new, but I'd ran them without another thought.

What's fair, is full refund if he pays all shipping. You shipped good used rims and if he's that picky, he eats all shipping or he should keep them.

What is fair is fair, you shouldn't eat any shipping sense they are good used rims.

You have done nothing wrong, unless you promised something more. Mike

27. squirrel

squirrel

Have him send you pictures, with the same detail, of the holes on a "good" wheel, so you have something to compare it to.

The holes on the vette rally wheels I have are also messed up the same way, because I ran them on my 55 which has 1/2" studs

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

refund? I'd tell him to fuck off. I wouldn't have even replied to his email.

I've sold quite a bit of junk on the internet. I had to refund on a couple occasions when I made an error. I will never refund due to buyer remorse.

unless you sold them on ebay, where ebay will give them a full refund from your paypal account no questions asked. many times the buyer does not even need to send back the item.

29. Squirrel did it!

30. Deuces

Deuces

A chamfer tool on the end of a drill motor should clean those up and make them look like new again...