Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auction Hunters Belly Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce354, Apr 6, 2012.

1. deuce354

deuce354

Did anybody see Auction Hunters Wed night?. Alan & Ton found a V8/60 powered belly tank. Pretty cool car. They sold it to a couple of guys that had a bellytank also, & a real cool ramp truck. I assume these "lucky guys " are Hambers. It was a pretty cool show

2. dv8

dv8

You mean the production crew planted a V8 60 bellytank...and they just "happened" to find some guys that had another one.

All those shows are fake. The storage shows, the pawn shop shows, the gun shop shows, the repo shows, the metal detecting shows...

3. derbydad276

derbydad276

just like american pickers overpaying for the yellow model A

4. gearguy

gearguy

Faked or not these shows are better than watching fame whores argue about fashion.

How many V8 60 powered belly tanks could there have been back in the day? It even had a number on it. One of our SCTA experts will have the back story on this car.

5. csimonds

csimonds

Yeah I saw the show! I thought it was a good episode. The guys who bought the Belly Tank were both wearing Old Crow Speed shop shirts, and seemed to take these tanks really seriously. Glad I am not the only one who likes that show.
    Chuck

6. got a photo or screen shot of the belly tank in question?

7. if it is this one below (#16) it is the real deal
    [​IMG]

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I saw that episode, It looked like there was also a bunch of wheels and vintage parts in the locker as well. Jimmy B that looks like but I don't think the 16 was on it.

9. I like that they showed the skinny dude (Allen, I think his name is) blasting around in the orange belly tanker...NO WAY would that Ton guy fit...

10. I watched it..I'm not afraid to admit it, even liked it (staged or not).
    Would be interesting to know its history, and who bought it.
    Agreed very similar to the one Jimmy B posted a pic of, without the 16 on it though.

11. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

I saw that episode just last night and I was hoping you guys would be talking about it! The flathead had Edlebrock heads, and 2x2 intake. I am pretty sure it did... they just flashed an image of it really quickly. What do you think it was worth? Man that would have been sweet to find a treasure like that. I have also seen those guys score a 69 Chevelle and a complete set of Lincoln Zephyr hubcaps!

12. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I must say that I do like auction hunters and I especially like american pickers since I am a picker and a hamber ( my wife calls me a junker). Anyways, I like pickers but their store in Nashville has some cool things in it. Most is NFS (not for sale) and others are way over priced. Basicly it is a t-shirt store. Yes, I couldnt resisit and I did buy a shirt that says "RUSTY GOLD".

13. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Hey gang,
    That was me and my buddy Del that you saw on the boob tube. I don't usually go in for stuff like that because I think most of it is just fabricated drama, if fact, I've turned down about 5 different offers to film a pilot at the Old Crow shop. Were just not that interesting and I don't feel like "acting" like there's deadlines and "fake" firing employees etc. No thanks.
    But when the show contacted me because they thought I was the "expert" on Bellytanks, Well.... I was a flattered, so I agreed to doing the show.
    Now, I don't want to go into any details of how fake or staged these type of shows are, but let me just say this..... Filming TV shows is VERY expensive, so if you were going to make a TV show about someone finding rare wild mushrooms, and you spent 2 weeks following them around and they don't find any....?? well, you just lost Thousands of buckaroonies. So you probably wouldn't let that happen.
    And,.... That's all I'm gonna say about it.

So, regarding the Bellytanks,.. The bare metal one is owned by me, and It's an old Bill Burke tank that's gonna get restored one of these days. It's on the waiting list, so hopefully by next year. I'm going to restore is to when it was the #2 car that was on the cover of Hot Rod in 1948. I forget what month, I think July. And the Orange tank that's a tribute to Bill Burke's Sweet 16 was built by Hamber Randy Mead aka
    "Ol Deuce". He sold it to a guy here in Los Angeles who brought it to me to get it running and re-work the controls so he could fit in it and it would shift, steer and stop.
    I must say, it was a real blast to drive it down the runway of a private airport for the TV show,... Oh yea, that's me driving the car BTW. The current owner didn't want anyone but me to drive the car, so with a little movie magic, they made it look like the host was driving it. Here is a video....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kVguR7W0GgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Here's a few pics from the day of the shoot.

Attached Files:

15. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

thats cool. I gotta watch for that episode.

16. Sounds cool, I got it on the dvr. Even if some of it is staged, it's still way cool

17. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I know.. I hate reality tv also..
    I have my own reality to deal with... Why would I want to watch someone else having a bad day and getting paid for it???.. I wish the tv stations would quit pounding that shit down our throats..

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I agree, TV is supposed to be entertainment. Since when is someone else's daily stressful nightmares entertaining?

19. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks Bobby! Glad you agree.. ;)

20. Hey Bobby, thanks for the run down on the your involvement. I found a link online and watched it to see what it was like. When I saw it was filmed in Burbank I knew that was your Tank and you were involved. TV is entertainment and that was exactly what it was good watching.

The bare aluminium tank (16) Is this one isn't it?
    [​IMG]

21. Real or not,i enjoy pickers.Are those two friends or veeeery close friends.Not that there is anything wrong with that!

22. spinner

spinner

I enjoyed the show . I am sure that we all guessed it was staged, but how many of us dream of a find like this !

23. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

this was the first episode i saw. i started getting pissed, when they found a dashboard from som 30's car and said it was from a Karman Ghia vw. totally fake. and stupid.

24. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

25. khead47

khead47

The comment that it was a Model T engine irked me to no end!

26. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Fake or not who cares... At the end of the day there was a bad ass flathead powered belly tanker on primetime T.V. and in this day and age of the "Jersey Shore Mentality" I am thankful, even if for a moment, that our culture was celebrated in the mainstream media. It was just nice not to hate something on TV for a minute or two.

27. alsancle

alsancle

+1

The "pickers" walk past the truly cool or worthwhile stuff to "pick" some piece of crap that that pay 40 bucks for and say is worth 80.

Some of these shows may have a couple of real episodes when they first start, but things quickly become 100% scripted as the need for more episodes (that are interesting) takes over.

28. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Good point CH, TV is entertainment, why not be entertained by Bellytanks instead of Trash from New Jersey? LOL

29. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Those are some good words from one of the Old Crow tee shirt guys. When I die I want to come back as Bobby, I have never had $8100 COH in my life.

DW

30. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

:DWhen I first heard of this at the end of last year, I was excited man ,Bobby had called & mentioned the
    16 was going to be driven for a TV episode. It sure
    pumped me up.....I felt it was very entertaining & Bobby did a good job..But knowing the circumstances & how it all came together ya just had
    to grin.....;) Good Job Bobby!!!:cool: I don't watch much TV at all! it really is 90% BS. Thats real Life!!!!