Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead 6 auto trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950_Fargo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. 1950_Fargo

1950_Fargo

Hi, I am new to the forum. My name is Mike and I am seriously considering using the flathead in my 1950 Fargo (Canadian Dodge) pickup. However I would like to make it more cruisable for day trips on the highway... I curantly have the stock 4 speed. In fact everything is stock and it may be untill some time this summer. Just trying to get some info so I can start planning/budgeting for my build. I have read ALOT on here about the T5 and it is a contender for sure but I injured my knee a few years ago snowboarding and shifting gears can get tiresome at times. Do I have any auto options that would mate up with my flathead. An adaptor wouldn't be a chalange for me but fabricating a bellhousing is likely out of my league... Any suggestions or help is appriciated. Thank-you. And great forum!

2. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

I would look at the 518(618 Diesel trans) Mopar trans from an early 90's Dodge pickup. The 618 is the Diesel trans and has some HD parts that can be fitted to the 518. If you look the 518 up on line there is an article on fitting it to older Muscle cars. I had looked at this when I was thinking of picking up a Class C motor home with a 318 for better mileage.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Since you have a flathead 6 you could use a Powerflite from any Mopar flathead 6 powered car. In the US they were built that way thru 1959 models.

However, a better choice would be a later model modern automatic. 73RR here on the HAMB has such adapters as does Wilcap and Bendtsen's(www.transmissionadapters.com) . I think 73RR makes one for Mopar automatics, the others for Chev/GM trans.

Ray

4. 73RR

73RR

Ray, thanks for the plug! Yes, Pat makes the gm adapter and I have the Mopar.

In any swap involving a flathead 6 be aware of the parasitic losses of the intended trans. You have precious little 'excess' hp to donate to the trans internals. The 727 and 518 consume alot when compared to the 904/A500.
    I have some additional notes on the web site regarding swaps.

5. jack orchard

jack orchard

you have very little power with the 6. a nice 4 speed or 5 speed (preferred) would do a much more efficient job of putting that power to good use...just something to consider

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

How about the 500 RH......it shifts into overdrive internally with no computer or vaacum assist?

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

so define better easier cruising around??? Unless you pulling a tree out of the ground, or have the bed filled with fertilizer, you're not ever gonna need 1st gear, and with the torque of the motor you can drive 4th gear from 15mph to top speed. So unless you install a trans with an OD top gear the auto isn't going to gain you anything at cruising speed except that lack of shifting. So unless you can't shift, or you are to tall to move you leg under the steering wheel, I would drive it like it is till you see how it works out for you.

8. I just subscribed to this thread! Lets not get it closed with that kind of stuff,PLEASE!

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

you are correct.......intemperate response on my part. no excuses...just deleted it.

Ray

10. 1950_Fargo

1950_Fargo

Thanks guys.. Aside from the mud slinging you have given me lots to think about. Some of you more than others (not all of you were slinging mud). As I said I have a bad knee and would preffer auto because of that. At 24 my knee gets sore shifting gears (why I sold my other truck) and I don't asume it will get better with age lol. I have a 904 in the shop. Good to know its a possible. When the time comes I'll make the desicion. Also considering a mild 318 with edelbrock 4 barrel but we will see. On that note how does the stock suspention fair with V8 power in the corners at say 60-70 mph. Anyone who has done this your input would be most helpful. Thanks again everyone its good to learn from others mistakes and successes.

11. 73RR

73RR

Corners!!??? 60-70mph!!???:eek: In a 1950 Fargo??
    You are kidding...right?

DanBabb put a 354 Hemi in his PilotHouse but I don't think he is doing any auto-cross courses.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455737&highlight=danbabb

12. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

I'd say that the 318 would be very close to the same weight(or maybe less) as the straight 6 and would sit back in the frame more. So cornering would be better than before. I had a 1936 Chevy coupe that the guy installed a 318(with 340 6pack heads) in and with it sitting back it could get up and go and cornered just fine.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

On thinking it over, if you need an automatic, the best and cheapest would be to install a 318 and matching auto. This takes a bit of doing but would probably be no harder or more expensive than just the transmission especially if your motor needs work.

The best thing to do would be to find a cheap Fifth Avenue, Volare, etc or a Dakota pickup and cabbage the engine, trans, rear axle, wiring, etc. This is the easiest and cheapest way to go.

There are some threads on this swap on the P15D24 web site

P15-D24 Forum - www.P15-D24.com

Look on the Pilot House board and the Technical board too.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

knew a fellow who built and Model A bodied car with a Desoto flat 6 and a gm 350 auto with an adapter. Grated the Car is probably lighter than the truck by 300 to 500 lbs, but it was quite snappy being powered by the old flat 6.

I have arthritis in my clutch knee and try to avoid shifting as much as I can, so I do know where you are coming from. But you will find that the engine provides a lot of low end torque, and many situations that usually call for down shifting can be negotiated in top gear in the mopars. were not talking blinding acceleration but driving with out a lot of shifting is possible.

Remember Dodge Cars of the time had fluid drive and most of their owners left them in thrid gear and drove with gas and brake pedal once out of the drive way.

15. 12905

Remember, you have the big block engine in the Fargo, so you can take it up to 625 cu. in. displacement by using the latest flat head installed in a Chrysler car, or from a bunch of different industrial engines. All you need are the crank and rods from the big engine and bore the block to 3.4375". Then add the truck dual carb and exhaust manifolds and you have pretty decent power for just everyday driving. Then you can add the later model 904 trans to save your knee. I did a few of these upgrades to Canadian Dodges and Plymouths and they worked well as daily drivers

16. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I think you mean 265;)

17. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Wilcap makes a th350 adapter

18. hemimaxwedge

hemimaxwedge
    from Ohio

I raced a 265 Chrysler flathead in a 2700pound Willys with 3-2's and a 38 Dodge 3 speed and was running 14.50's back in the late 60's and still have the car as raced. The 38 Dodge 3 speed was close ratio with no drop off from 2nd-3rd gear.

19. RATFINKFOREVER

RATFINKFOREVER
    from Canada Eh

I got a Wilcap adapter behind my 50 Dodge am in your neck of the woods as well.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Wow that sounds very interesting, any photos??

21. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks for clearing that up. I was scratching my head thinking 625? Aint no way... but that would be insane

22. 1950_Fargo

1950_Fargo

Thanks everyone you have been very helpfull and given me lots to think about. eventualy I will probably swap in a 318 with 904 but for the time being I think I will just put my efforts to upgrading the brakes and making it road worthy... Thanks again. When I get to work I will post some pictures for you guys

23. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Would this be a good combination? Will this 230 motor produce enough power for this 727 tranny?
    My other option is to install a T5 5 speed tranny on it.

Attached Files:

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You would be better off with a 904. Better performance and plenty strong enough for any six or small V8.

5 speed would be even better although, not as easy or convenient to drive.