Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Langy, what is vapour blasting?

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Vapour blasting is a process that is suitable for Aluminum, Bronze, Magnesium, Elektron, Titanium, Brass, Copper etc. It will gently clean the surface without damage to gasket faces etc, produces a satin finish which will handle without picking up finger marks and gently peens the surface which reduces porosity in castings.
    Vapour Blasting utilises water and a fine blast media in suspension, delivered by a special pump and accelerated by compressed air to the process nozzle. The non-aggressive metal surface finishing action of the aqueous-based media creates a thoroughly clean and lightly abraded result, without impinging on the metal surface. If required, the cleaning media can include a mild detergent to remove grease or oil.

The ratio between the water pressure and air pressure in the process nozzle is variable and controllable, allowing an effective “water buffer” to be maintained between the abrasive media and the surface being processed. This creates a lubricating action and washes the surface continuously during processing. The process is less aggressive than dry blast cleaning and no dust is produced with this metal surface finishing.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. deerchooper

deerchooper

wonderful work

i just dont want to miss the next update.

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thank you, probably no updates for a while as i'm block sanding the body & panels.

5. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

we like to see any progress you make----including block sanding :)

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That sucks, especially on a round car. Hopefully the body is close enough to work in high fill primer.

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Your right mate, block sanding is my least favourite part of any build :(
    At the moment i'm just keying up the gelcoat with 120 grit, then i will get 3 coats of epoxy primer on it and see how it looks then correct any bits and then some hi build on it, to be honest so far the panels have come out pretty well.

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Best thing I ever did was spend $70 each for 100 count boxes of 320 and 800 grit D.A. hook & loop film paper. My finger tips, hands, forearms, shoulders, and back thanked me.:eek:

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah i got boxes and boxes of them, they are a big help :D

10. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

WOW..she's really coming to life.I'm still blown away by your craftsmanship and building this baby out of your garage when most of the stuff you did, huge shops do and charge a crapload too.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

To be honest i kinda wanted to build this mostly like they would of done in the old days, Working outside is a bit of a challenge but i've quite enjoyed the challenge so far.
    I'm always busy in my shop with customers cars and i do have a space for one of my own projects which is my 26T but this one wasn't planned at all until the UK Gasser Circus started and i thought "yup i fancy a go at that"

12. mika112

mika112

you are a champion .

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not much progress recently unless you class block sanding GRP [​IMG]
    Had a break from it last 2 nights and decided to sort out the blower hole in the hood, most people seem to just form a lip around the hole and leave it at that but i wanted something a little different [​IMG]

I decided to make a stainless finisher that would also add some rigidity to the hood, first job was to decide on a design and make a template in 1/4" plywood.

[​IMG]

Next the template was cut into sections as i was using 1/4" stainless offcuts from the scrap bin.

[​IMG]

The shapes were cut out of the stainless with a thin cutting wheel in an angle grinder and smoothed to shape with a flap disc in the angle grinder, then the 4 pieces were tacked together for a trial fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once i was happy with the fit it was finished welded and radius's were sanded into the outer and inner edges and everything sanded smooth.

[​IMG]

Next 5/16" holes were marked and drilled at 1" spacings to give some asthetics, and another trial fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The backside was drilled and tapped for 5mm grub screws and holes drilled in the hood, Last job was to give it a quick polish and it was job done [​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

A simple hole in the hood just wouldn't do, eh? Wow, you just took an overlooked detail and took it over the top. Nice work!

Oh, the rest of the car is bitchin' too!

15. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

16. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for that, a simple hole just didn't seem to look right to me.

17. Looking great!!!

18. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Wow, the hood trim is excellent!

19. And I would just be happy with the plywood template......

Nice work Steve as usual.

20. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Looks awesome! Hope you got the hole in the right place, lol.

21. n847

n847

That is Awesome!

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Brian.

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thank you mate

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Glenn how are things

25. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Doing good. Loving the early spring here in the States.

26. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Wow, Langy, Im floored! great work

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Claymore, I'm not sure about perfection but it looks better than a lip in my opinion.

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear it mate, I was enjoying our early spring but it seems to have stalled, only 8 degrees here today, last week it was 26 !!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  29. 1954satan

1954satan

liking the hood finisher Steve,little bit of "steampunk" influence going on, hows the motor coming along?

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Motor in the car at the moment is an original 1970 500, these are the most powerful they built and not easy to find these days so don't want to break it up so i'm using another block & crank i have, got most of the parts to start the motor build, just waiting for the custom ground hydraulic roller cam and a few other bits to arrive, then i can make a start.