Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD

DD
    from illinois

anybody know of websites aimed at this time period? Would set one up myself if I was smart enough

2. DD

DD
    from illinois

yes I do. I actually saw one sitting in a field th other day, have not seen one in years

3. the best and the worst! I was a Greeves factory rider for 2 years. got one race in for Kawasaki. then went private with a WR400 6 speed Husky (liked the Greeves better).
    Oct 6 1974 did a 90mph endo that had me in traction for 70 days. lost all motor skills and took 2 years to learn to walk again, femur jammed thru my hip socket same time the toe of my right boot hit me in the eye. haven't been the same since.

4. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Ah Farah, my favourite gal from my youth,

5. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Ouch isn't really the right response for that. Sorry. Sounds like you were a good rider though. I was lucky and never really got hurt. But I did know lot's of people that did. Still, I have very fond memories from the 70s. Both cars and motorcycles.

6. they have an amc nationals around here sometime in august (i think) after the amc show most of them go to miamisburg cruise saw 6 marlins side by side 2 years ago last year only 4 showed up but it was cool to see a marlin driving down the road

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I had a RM370, followed that with a Husky 390CR in the early eighties. The Husky was a rocket. I didn't really have the skills to exploit its full performance, but it sure was fun.

8. Outside San Diego , in Santee(sand pits) we used to play in the sand on our bikes (I had a screaming Elsinore). Saw a guy on a Husky, 400 I think .... plow through Grandpa, grandma, mom and dad .... wheelstanding into their row of lawn chairs .

Knocked out gramps, Grandmas foot was touching her head (bad break) and mom and dad were running in circles in shock and bleeding .... it was all nasty. Luckily the fire department was a few miles away.

There is a learning curve for fast bikes and I think that guy wasnt in the know.

9. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Endoed my brothers CZ250 into a bale of barbed wire headfirst in '72.
    Got Lucky, only a few bruises and scratches.
    I could've wound up uglier than I already am. Last time on a dirt bike for me.

10. J CRUZ

J CRUZ

OH MAN!
    I haven't added a bookmark to my cars and bikes section in a long time. Best bunch of pics I've seen in a long time. (Outside of the Vandolerosvanclub.blogspot.com site of course.)

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dirt is bad. I had this tendency to delude myself into the idea that falling off in the dirt didnt hurt as much. One time, me and my buddy were riding around in the dark (no lights), we kind of lost track of each other. I came over the crest of this drop, and he was coming up to the top of the berm in the opposite direction, and we crashed bars. That didnt end well...

12. I was talking to some of my buddies about the cars on this thread and its funny how none of us really think of, lets say a 67 Camaro, as an old car. Yet its 45 years old now.

When we were kids, with the help of my dad we drug home my first 57 Chevy. I was 15 years old. We thought that car was ancient, but it was only 17 years old. Funny how perceptions change.

13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I had a CR 390 too! Loved that bike. You could just roll on the throttle in 6th and the front wheel would come up. Great machine. I wish I had kept it.

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

OK, I'll play...

Attached Files:

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

And a few more...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  16. This is a photo of my 1964 Impala Super Sport taken in Munster Indiana at a girlfriends house.The year was 1977 the car Black with a white interior,tach on the dash,Cragar SS wheels,327 4-speed with console.The motor was a 1969 300hp 327 steel crank (supposedly Corvette motor but aint they all...)I later pulled motor put in11-1s,314 dur.522 lift solid lifter cam,Edelbrock Tarantula single plane intake,780 vac. sec Holley,Mallory dual point dist. Appliance headers,Mr.Gasket V-gate shifter,4:10 posi rear.When this car wasn't breakin u-joints,spider gears or wheelstuds,I actually tore the upper control arm damn near off the axle! It ran like a raped ape!From about 3500 to 7000 YIKES! What a BLAST! I got to where I would get it rollin in first about 3500 then push in the clutch,mat it pull second and dump the clutch! It would either go like a cat with gas on its ass,or break something....I ended up pullin the motor and trans puttin them in my 70 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup and traded the roller for furniture! DAMN!!!!!What a guy does for love.....then 16 years later she divorces me and keeps the furnture....What kinda stinkin deal is THAT??? Women....

Attached Files:

17. Deuces

Deuces

Way to go Rocky!!! ;)

18. Larry T

Larry T

Shouldn't you be quoting Hunter Thompson or Ken Kesey instead of Charles Dickens?

19. .... or Richard Nixon .... "I am not a crook!!"

I recall all the TV stations doing the Watergate hearings all day long ... seems a pot-smoking, un-employed veteran couldn't even catch up on his daily soap operas back in those days of the hearings!

20. She got the paid for 3bedroom house on a half acre,and everything in it,88 Olds,even my Boston Terrier and my Choc. Lab! WTF!!!! PLUS 1/2 the 20 grand I had in the bank!!!!!She only worked 5 years outta 16! Oh well, I got my Stude ,killer 70 Chevy pickup,Harley,car trailer and tools...oh yea and my recliner and 20 year old sterio....the important stuff... Oh and the furniture I traded for the 64 was custom made oak.....

Attached Files:

21. [​IMG] i think this chevelle was at goodguys indy show last year if it wasnt it it was a damn close clone

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It may have already been said but I have been predicting this to be the next hot trend to come back around, for a while now and I will be one of the first to say,
    "I can dig it" because this is "the seen" I grew up around and I like it.

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This would have been more mid 80s around my neck of the woods in my hoodlum teen circle of friends
    I had a friend who had a red one jacked up with cragars etc.like this, It wasnt my cup of tea but it was as slick and clean as a show car and he was proud of it and in my opinion that alone makes me like any car better.
    [​IMG]

24. dmikulec

dmikulec

Or R. Crumb... "I'm a geek, that's why I'm bitter!" :cool:

25. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Well, allrighty then,...

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
    Hunter S. Thompson

"To Hell with facts! We need stories!"
    Ken Kesey

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case."
    Ken Kesey

Literary works transcend time, thoughtful ideas endure.
    Explore Dickens writings.

[​IMG]

26. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

"Before industrial civilization, local and regional communities made their own music, their own entertainment. The esthetics were based on traditions that went far back in time—i.e. folklore. But part of the con of mass culture is to make you forget history, disconnect you from tradition and the past. Sometimes that can be a good thing. Sometimes it can even be revolutionary. But tradition can also keep culture on an authentic human level, the homespun as opposed to the mass produced. Industrial civilization figured out how to manufacture popular culture and sell it back to the people. You have to marvel at the ingenuity of it! The problem is that the longer this buying and selling goes on, the more hollow and bankrupt the culture becomes. It loses its fertility, like worn out, ravaged farmland. Eventually, the yokels who bought the hype, the pitch, they want in on the game. When there are no more naive hicks left, you have a culture where everybody is conning each other all the time. There are no more earnest "squares" left—everybody's "hip," everybody is cynical."

R. Crumb

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, they had some serious balls.:D

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember hearing/reading that passage a long time ago, and its sure worth another read. Good stuff Rocky.
    Kinda appropriate for this forum too.

29. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

It would be interesting to know if that car is still around. I took that photograph something well over 30 years ago. The car was at multiple events in the midwest back then.

30. Not to be rude but that rite there looks like the closing scene of napolan dynamite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.