Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Okay, last time with the roadster proportions, outisde pics!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Lucky77

Lucky77

I decided to push the car outside after I moved the body around on the chassis. I also sliced 2.5" out of the middle of the driver side apron to thin it out a bit and see what it looked like. I actually like the look and I'll probably go with it. The apron on the passenger side is unmolested to give you something to guage it against. Last time, how's it look?

2. 117harv

117harv

I think it the apron looks better thinner, it just needs the back end radiused to match the wheel well?....the car is looking good, nice work.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I gotta say, I much prefer the stock apron to the diced one... I'd either run stock aprons or ditch them entirely. The stock length apron looks "right" whereas the modified one reminds me of "ground fx" on a honda or something...

4. F&J

F&J

I don't expand thumbs when I am looking for something that sticks out and steals attention, or sticks out as looking wrong.

Get the paint, it;s done :)

What I mean is you can go nuts if you don't start trusting what looks good to you.

I like the sectioned apron...run it.

I don't like the W/S slanted that much, but I'm not you. The rest is great. Like the tires too.

5. F&J

F&J

The stock A rail is too dainty to go with the thick stock apron. IMO. :D

6. brady1929

brady1929

7. Dig'n the shit out of it!

8. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I'd say the body looks good, the apron, the stock ones look better.

9. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

10. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Overall the proportions are sweet, but I gotta agree with the stock apron faction; what my eye sees is the stance with the stock apron being just about perfect for the overall character/dimensions of the car, but with shortened apron it looks like it needs to be dropped about the same distance the apron has been raised. I also kind of like the front 'sweep' of the stock one a bit better.

11. n847

n847

I'd go no aprons but if you wanna run em they look pretty sweet cut up!

12. Dave50

Dave50

Looks good i would cut windshield down a few inches just me

13. I like the sectioned apron, might even taper it smaller towards the front, like another 3/4 to nothing.
    Is your hood going to be too short now ?
    Looks good man.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The sectioned apron doesn't make sense to me... But, oddly, I like it.

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im not into the apron thing ,I said that on the last 2 ,But heres my opinion anyway Make a return in the rear of the apron like the front to hide the line that showing in front of the rear wheel well......

16. Or extend the apron behind the wheel and blend it into the the well.
    It gives it a channeled look being sectioned, may as well complete it.

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Looks great to me...if one is already section then....... ?

18. i still think you should ditch the approns , but the sectioned one does look ok

19. I like the aprons. I plan on running them on my T and I even thought about thinning them out as you have done. I like the way it looks sectioned, but I think on your car, I would have left them in their "fenders yanked" configuration.

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I kinda thought the same thing, becauseI think it's bad ass when it looks like you just decided to take the fenders off (but have the option to throw em back on).

21. Master of None

Master of None

I like it. It just seems to flow better with the sectioned apron for some reason on your car.

22. Lucky77

Lucky77

It's all this damn car's fault! It was in the back of HOP UP issue 5. I got it in 2004 I think, right around the time I was getting out of circle track cars and discovering hot rods. It was the first time I ever saw that look and I loved it instantly. I knew I had to get a roadster and do it up somewhat like this; A frame, grille, and aprons. I got my roadster in 2007 with plans to do it up like the one in HOP UP. Then Kris went and built what I consider the most beautiful AV8 ever made and I was sure it was the wasy to go.

Now I'm up in the air. After 80 years its hard to come up with something unique when it comes to building a Model A. I love the look of an A on deuce rails with a 32 grille but there's a kabillion of them. Probably because it looks so right;) I had plans of running a full hood with sides, Model A grille, and aprons just to make it stand out a bit. Now it stands out a lot but I'm not sure if its in a good way? I think I'm going to section the other apron and run it like that for a while. If it just doesn't work I will ditch the aprons and make some sidepipes. If that doesn't work I'll put it on a deuce frame with a 32 grill like I probably should have done in the first place:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think if you're going to mod the aprons, go all out. Sectioned is kinda kool. The door is open for a full custom apron. Think different shape. How about a custom rolled apron that incorporates a bit of a taper front to rear? The wheelwell/tire relationship looks right on. A rolled apron could disappear "under" the 1/4 panel and retain the balance achieved there. It seems it's not coming out in words like it looks in my head.

24. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

So, Does the hood fit now?
    I like the stock aprins however if you like the sectioned aprins and was thinking about side pipes, Hold up a side pipe that runs allong the contour of the sectioned aprin and see what it does for ya. Don't forget the pics. :)

25. Lucky77

Lucky77

No, the hood doesn't fit. The body is still moved back on the chassis to center the rear wheels. I'll have to lengthen the hood a bit if I want to run it, which I do.

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Well since you cut the one you'll have to do the other anyway. Radius the rear to match in front of the rear tire, should be fine.
    Bring the windshield up too. Looks "broken" slanted back so far.

Very nice car, plans on painting it? Has nice patina already.

27. Lucky77

Lucky77

It will eventually be painted with a full interior. The body is excellent, the only rot is at the bottom of the driver's side cowl and the bottoms of the rear wheel wells. Both easy fixes. I do plan on driving it around like this for a while though.

Actually I said the same thing about my sedan four years ago and its still in primer:eek:

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Exactly... the reason they were left on "back then" is that it wasn't worth the trouble, not because it looked cool. I'm not saying the sectioned apron looks BAD, it just feels like you're trying too hard to make the car look different. This is all just my opinion here and we all know what that's worth so please don't take any offense...;) An AV8 should be an exercise in restraint and always lean in the direction of "function over form" while keeping a wandering eye on the aesthetic appeal. Whatever you choose, I'm sure the car will be a knockout, good luck.

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I like the stock aprons much better for the sole purpose of it makes sense. Aprons were left on because fenders were pulled off and pulling the aprons was too much work. Your car would look great no matter what you decide to do, so do what feels right to you.

30. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Looking good, I kinder like the stock apron.