Register now to get rid of these ads!

Urethane or Butyl for installing 52 chevy windshield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52carsontop, Apr 2, 2012.

1. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

I did a search and it looks like the windshield gasket is the best for installing a windshield on the 49-54 chevys. But I really do not like the look that the gasket will give to my car. Would rather just have a nice clean look with no gasket and no trim around the window. Is this possible?

So, need to figure out another way to install the windshield. Found that some people use urethane to set the windshield. Is this a good idea?

What about butyl? I would say that is not strong enough. By the way this is on a 1952 chevy sedan 2 door with a carson top. Most of the time the top will be off.

Thanks for the input!

2. daliant

daliant

The windshield glass is smaller than the windshield frame so there's nothing to bond the glass to, hence the gasket. I have seen 49-52 chevys with the 53-54 one piece windshield in them, I dont know if it's a straight swap or requires reworking the frame but it might be something to look into, it gets rid of the center divider but it still uses a gasket to set the glass into the windshield frame.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

The gasket is there for the reason of isolating the window from the movement of the cowl and windshield frame. Glue a window in there you might break the window while driving.

You'd need to weld more metal to the pinch weld of the frame to close up the hole some to set the window in.

4. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

My car has been all cut up. It has a one piece new windshield. The windshield frame was cut and made to fit the glass. The glass fits perfect on the pinch weld. So figured it would be find to add some butyl to the back of the glass where it will be in contact of the pinch weld then add some urethane around the glass to the frame to make it secure.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Newer cars are done in a similar fashion. Why not go check out how a newer windshield is installed. It'll give you an excellent idea of what to do.

I used to install windshields back in the early 80's. It's done a little differently today, but from experience, urethane would look like..... urethane. Crap. See how the pros do it and make yourself happy.

6. Spooky

Spooky

I vote butyl. It will remain flexible and create a great seal. Polyurethane has a tendency to dry hard and crack.

7. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

I'll have to check out my dd and see how the glass was installed. Like you said I think the urethane would look like crap unless I somehow attached the stainless trim to it. But I really don't want that trim.

The only problem I see with butyl is that it is not as strong as it never really hardens. Which is a good thing and bad as I like the fact that it will be a little more for giving if the windshield frame moves at all. I think the urethane would get so hard that it would not have any flex and would crack the glass if it had much movement. But I have never worked with it so unsure about that.

One thing I did not say is that it has a 60" dash in it and on the inside of the frame I adding a lot of metal and some bondo to give it a nice smooth look. So there is not much of a edge on the inside for the gasket. That's another reason why I am looking to go in a different direction than using the gasket.

8. If you don't want the trim, get a gasket without the trim slot.
    That's what I did.

When I looked into it, the black feathered edge on the glass is there to hide the glue. That and I really doubt there is enough steel in the opening to get a good bond. I watched the guy replace the window in my Dodge, There's quite the overlap, 1 1/2" IIRC