Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Mallory Super-Mag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2012.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Damn cool stuff in here; the distributor and the street-strip switch...... I want one of each!

2. oldspwr

oldspwr

I have some paperwork from Mallory which helps me identify the older dual point distributors. So I'm not sure if it will help here, but the paperworks says a 525 is a "Special Dan Gurney SB V8 - Ford 8 LH".

Tom

3. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

I just wish the other part in the trade were sitting somewhere untouched in a box...

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Rumor has it that teams of geeks are working on a 3-position switch, which will add in a "Deathrace 2000" position for the toggle and the long-awaited RED light at the right end of the plate. Due to copyright issues you will need the original Mallory plate.
    There will also be a billet-framed touchpad and circuit board version for streetrodders, with visual buttons marked 8, 10, and 11. In this version the blue and red lights have been modernized to illuminate the street below the vehicle and also the windshield washer nozzles.

5. Frank

Frank

I have one like it for a SBC. I am missing the cap/rotor and the capacitor from the side. All the ones I have ever seen on ebay or whatnot have always been blue. Its not blue because its for Ford and I don't think its for marine use even though that is usually where you see the blue used. I'd like to know more about it, but I will probably sell it before I'd ever gather the parts and put it to use.

6. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Dan Gurney drove the Wood Brothers Fords in NASCAR in the early 60's

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Can't wait to see it on the '38!

-Dave

8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

you can only run the mag if you have this sticker.. it makes it go even faster then the blue lights
    [​IMG]

9. squirrel

squirrel

I just need the 11 button...

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nope. This one isn't mine... It belongs to a buddy.

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Mallory still has an active mag shop, I have a super mag 2 for my Iron Duke motors...it came originally setup for a Gearte midget, they reversed the rotation (really just had to flop over the brass tip on the rotor), gave me an appropriate Iron Duke base, and checked out the mag and coil, sent it back , all for around $250...not bad. And those folks are very helpful on the phone as well.

12. racer756

racer756

Just an FYI Mallory recently sold off all their magneto manufacturing to this company.
    http://www.fuelinjectionent.com/

Spud Miller Is highly respected in the Drag Race and circle track communities, and he makes a very trick mag for my Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car.

13. storing it out of the box on display in your car would be the right thing ...

14. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That sucker is cool.....

Would RULE on the proper drag BOAT........say an early Stevens, Rayson-Craft, etc....
    Any big lakes near Austin???;)

15. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

Doesn't look a y block, here is a pict of my mallory out of my y block. Shaft is a lot longer.

Attached Files:

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

This would be a question for bubba i guess, i have one for a 426, how hard would it be to reverse rotation for a 331 hemi??

And also mine has the dualcoil type cap too, and i even scored an NOS spare at a swapmeet for $5....

17. Willy_P

Willy_P

18. Don't want to burst anyones bubble but the shaft is a bit short for a Y-Block. Should messure right at 5" from the base where it rests on the block to the bottom of the drive gear.

19. Hell send it to me and I'll figure out a way to put it on my flathead..........

20. redsdad

redsdad

This is not from the 50's (at least the paperwork is not). One thing I learned collecting toy trains. See the zip code after the address. July 1, 1963 or later.

21. rhpope

rhpope

My mistake, this is for a Small Block Ford. I did not pay attention to the length of the shaft on the house where is slides into the block. I had forgotten about what Mallory base housings looked like in the 1960's. If the oil drive shaft hole is for a 1/4" drive shaft, then if fits a 260-289-302. If the oil drive shaft hole is for a 5/16" drive shaft, then if fits a 351W. It appears to be the smaller O.D. drive gear so I am pretty sure it is a 260-289-302.

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Good catch, that's usually one of the first things I look for on old stuff. I always get disappointed when stuff has a ZIP code.

12416 Cloverdale is looking a little rough these days. Neat building, though.

Attached Files:

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, so what's up with it? Where's it goin? Did we determine anything?

24. Wardog

Wardog

I got the transformer you need for that set up. This is my super mag-2 for a Cleveland. As you can see they are massive compared to a distributer, this won't even fit under the hood! I realy want to see all the info Bubba has on mags

Attached Files:

25. martell06

martell06

Ryan, if you still need information, Mallory has a full library of information on everything they've made since the beginning and their main tech support guy has been with the company since the 70's and is very knowledgable.

26. A lot of guys have mentioned that they thought it might be marine equipment, due to the rotation.....it's just an identifying nomenclature, as various makes of American engines will normally have CW rotating ignitions, others have CCW rotating ignitions. For example, Ford distributors turn one way, Chrysler ( rear mounted distributors ) turn the other way.Although it could, it probably has nothing to do with a marine application. I concur as to it being Ford. Very cool ignition for sure.

27. I had a supermag on my 392 altered back in the 70's which was fixed [no advance]. I also had a supermag 2 which did have advance in it. We used to change them to try different set ups. I presume you could get the early one with advance in it. But what I did notice back then was the supermag was blue and the supermag 2 and 3 were red. All the early ones I think were blue.

28. Notice the coil on the firewall!!
    [​IMG]