Register now to get rid of these ads!

SoCal Fairlane Chop-top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddisnoke, Apr 2, 2012.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Does anyone around here in Southern California recognize this '63 Fairlane? A chop was started on it, but never completed. A friend is acquiring it , and it'll be getting dug out soon from its slumber. Will be getting more pictures, but I am hopeful that someone here knows a bit of its history, as we are starting with zero history on it. Thanks much for any insight into its previous builder/artist!
    Dale

[​IMG]

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, can you guys undo the chop started? not an easy one to chop, and bigger question Why?

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Dare to be different, I guess. No intention to undo it, but rather to see it through to the end. Some of the work is nice. It appears to have early Cad seats. I was thinking of removing the post, to elongate the look of the open windows of the side, but won't know for sure until it gets dug out. Hard to get a "real feel" when you cannot take in the "whole" view.

4. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

5. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I like it! Also, I would keep the posts.

6. Spooky

Spooky

LOVE THAT! Didn't Ford have a custom like this in their caravan way back when in the early '60's?
    I'm sure Jeffries or Winfield did the work.

7. good score.. keep at it, don't let the nay sayers, bother you... looks good

8. 'Mo

'Mo

Wow! I like that a lot!
    As was mentioned, please look to the Ford "Custom Car Caravan" for styling cues.
    Classy, not trashy.;)
    I would also keep the posts. :cool:

How was the windshield glass handled?

9. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

10. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

I would never chop the top on my 63 but this one looks well executed. I also like the stance... are those 14" wheels? Im staying tuned to this one

11. harley man

harley man

I'm not usually keen on chops on cars of that era but it looks really good.

12. The chop and the laid-down rear window really gives that car a real "fastback" look. I like it. Gotta do something with the door posts, though. Removing them would be best, but if you have to keep them, then maybe slant them forward to better flow with the rear window angle.

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks for the words. This will be my first go- around , usually I'm a straightaxle kinda guy. Always wanted a custom, better yet a chopped one. THANKS for the heads-up on the Ford Caravan one. I'll most certainly be looking for that. I 'think' with minimal work, it'll be roadworthy, so I can ascertain its driveability. Thats number one on the list.
    The front glass was cracked, and broken. That'll also be a priority, but I have a later model Fairlane piece of Lexan, left from a racecar, that I can throw on , until I source a new front windshield, and have it carefully and correctly cut to fit..

14. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

15. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

1. finish the scallops on the passenger side.
    2. clean'er up.
    3. drive like hell.
    4. profit!

16. 65COMET

65COMET

2"section,hardtopped,lime green heavy flaked roof,yellow pearl lower half,13 chrome wires on wide whites,white deep button tucked interior,1 1/2" straight pipes!! You could park it UNDER the Rocket!!!!! ROY.

17. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Dale,
    Can't wait to see what you do with this one. Watching your Nova, Dart, and Comet come together, I'm expecting something special.

18. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

damn that thing will look sweet when its finished up

19. Spooky

Spooky

My vote is a metallic Corvette blue, with a vinyl top(white or black), skinny white walls radiused rear wheel wells, shaved, nosed and decked, factory style Sport Coupe interior with console, hopped up 347 stroker with factory Ford style dress up kit on the engine, and 14" chrome reversed wheels or 14" factory Ford wire style caps.

Make it look like a caravan car.

20. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Thats pretty Cool. Take out the Posts. Skirts, scallops..Lime Green Metalflake

21. metalman

metalman

I'm not so much into customs these days but I like this one. Yeah, the factory sponsered Caravan cars would be a great souce of inspiration. Early dressed hipo 289, maybe T-bird seats, console, steering wheel? Stuff Ford would of supplied. Radioused rear wheel wells would be sweet if done right, maybe find another set of front fenders for the lips. I'd leave the posts alone, removing them seems like they alwayslook just like what it is, a sedan missing the posts.
    NO WIDE WHITES. They were done by the time this car was new, skinny whitewalls would be the ticket.

22. I agree on the skinny whites. IMO, MOST post-62 cars look much better with skinny whites.

23. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Can't say I would have ever chopped a 63 Fairlane but it doesn't look bad, maybe a little thick in the rear pillar. That will make a nice custom, looks like the taillights have been molded, build it in the 60's style and will be cool..

24. Wow very cool car. I wouldn't do much other than paint and chrome reverse with skinny whites and your rolling in style

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

You guys into these are giving me some GREAT feedback, and input! I do agree on skinny whites, on chromed reverse. Paint color is a little off. Most will not like my idea, but I did this to a Nova wagon a couple years ago, and the final effect was lowbuck, off the chart cool. I two-toned it with Rustoleum Hammertone. The effect on a sunny day was very cool. Thinking something along the same lines, as this will keep initial cost's way down, but will be a cool effect. It'll all need to be stripped down , but that can happen later. The idea is to get in, and start driving it. The Caddy seats need to come out, they are too big, too tall, and do not fit the confines of the chop. I"ve got a nice set of early Barracuda seats that may be the ticket, and they are free. I'm setting myself a budget on this one. I think I can pull off the whole shebang for 3K, and that includes the cost of the car. A stretch, but we'll see when the dust, and grinding wheels settle... Tomorrow, we gut the parts in trunks, pull out the rear seat, and take stock of what we have...

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I gave it a whirl on a smooth spot. I think its a great color, accents the original blue of the car, and looks suede-smooth, after some buffing with steel wool:

[​IMG]

27. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

28. devilleish

devilleish

I was gonna say thin whites on chrome reverse too, along with lime gold with white guts, but I've always been in love with Budd Anderson's Thunderbird. Wish I could find a better pic.

Attached Files:

29. I like it, but does it look like the roof is about an inch taller in the front than the back, or is it just me?????? I think it needs to be evened out.

30. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

It is, and I LOVE the look. Would I be correct if this type of chop is referred to as a Winfield-style? I did a bit of grinding on some of the bodywork, just to see how the front fenders were tied together. Interesting how it was done, using small pencil-rod steelwire, bent back and forth, with tack-welds at each intersection. Minimal heat distortion, but a good solid bond.. Had to remove the detail lines running up the back of the trunk though. Moisture got into the underlaying metal, and the work popped up in several spots. Again, a unique way. Fiberglassed a stright metal welding filler rod to the top of trunk, fiberglassed , then body filler built up over it all. It was straight as an arrow. I'm gonna learn alot from this car...:)