Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kill Switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60olds98, Apr 3, 2012.

1. If I want to hide a kill switch in my car, what is the best wire to splice it in.

2. Hot wire for the distributer.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Or if it has points, and an electronic tach, you could ground the coil wire that goes to the tach. But only do this if it has points!

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

make sure you get a good quality switch. ive had a couple go bad and leave me delayed. Remember that it will only keep honest people honest. I real thief will just jump past the whole circut.

5. I have on on my MSD box and one on my electric fuel pump. I like to be able to run the fuel pump with nothing else on, good for testing, priming the carb when it's cold, etc.

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

If your car is an automatic you can break the neutral safety switch, the car will not crank over. Use a 2 pole switch and break the neutral safety switch and the hot wire to the distributer coil and even if they jump the starter it won't fire!
    As said before, if someone really wants your car...........it's GONE!

7. it's not a bad idea to have a kill switch on the battery cable, it will shut all the power off, during storage or a short, or for theft protection.

8. XXL__

XXL__

Whatever circuit you choose to break, use a relay. Toggle switches generally handle very little current. Trying to break the ignition switch wire with a crappy switch may leave you stranded if you run that much current through it.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be a bit to hide but wiring in a switch on the distributor side of the coil would foil most hot wire artists.

Toggle switch in the electric fuel pump wiring (it needs one anyhow).

Switch between the main switch and the coil.

Toggle switch or pushbutton switch in the wire between the key switch and the starter relay or solenoid. That makes starting the car a two hand operation and the rug rats couldn't accidentally start the car if they were in it and you were outside for a moment. Turn the key and hit the pushbutton becomes automatic real quick for the regular driver of the rig.

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

300 amp battery cut off from local parts store. Put it on one of the terminals at the battery... comes with a little red key. Easy fast and good for storage.

11. Grumbler

Grumbler

I like to "hide it in plain sight" I have an OT vehicle with an electric fuel pump that I wired through the dash switch for the no longer working rear window defrost

Edit: but thats not what your asking. I'd go with the 12V to the distributor or the starter solenoid

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  12. fordor41

fordor41

Almost any "kill" switch can be bypassed with enough time. What I did was install an extra horn in the door switch circuit. Any door opens and the horn blows. Used a relay that "latched" so horn continued to blow until I turned it off with a switch in the trunk. If being stolen is your concern, try the horn trick. Sure is loud and draws a lot of attention.

13. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I like fordor41`s horn idea

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have in inline hidden battery switch on current car and a hidden inline ignition toggle in previous car.

15. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

If they want it bad enough they will tow it. But every little bit helps to slow down amateurs.

Might also look at a fuel line cut off.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Good idea, but without a locking hood it wont take but a couple seconds to pull the wire off. Thieves aren't deterred by noise unless they can't stop it within 15-20 seconds.

I've got a battery cutoff switch under the pass. seat, and a hidden switch for the coil and the electric fuel pump. I figure the more things they have to find, the less chance they'll find them all. I've also got an alarm system wired into the battery ahead of the battery cutoff switch, so hopefully all these things together will defeat the crooks.

17. fordor41

fordor41

I also have a push button on the hood which activates the horn also and it's not a critical
    circuit it case a switch/relay goes bad. a bad switch on the dist, etc could let you down on the road.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  18. teddyp

teddyp

I have a cutoff to the batt

19. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

I have a trunk mounted battery in one car - and a cutoff switch with removable key in the trunk. Easy enough to open the trunk, kill the power & take the key. Looks like you just grabbed (or dropped) your jacket from the trunk.

On the other car, there is a relay. It grounds the points if it is not energized. It powers up with the ignition switch, and is in plain sight on the firewall. The "kill" switch is the relay coil ground. Nobody looks for a single 20 gauge wire that vanishes. You can jumper wire to the coil positive and crank it over all day long...

It all depends on the car.

B.

20. Deuces

Deuces

If your car has a cigarette lighter, you can disconnect the hot wire in back of the socket... And then hook up a piece of wire from in back of the socket too the ground terminal on your coil... Push the lighter in and in grounds out the coil... Pull it out and you'll be able to start the motor... Cost???.... Maybe 10 cents.. :rolleyes:

21. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

which side would you put the relay if say you broke the nss??

22. I probably souldn't say this but when I was in high school I had a little harness that I made up just for moving peoples cars in the school parking lot. We had assigned parking places the more well to do kids had the best parking places. Sometimes they parked on the other side of the football field and others in the principles marked parking place for some unknown reason. ;)

It consisted of one wire that ran from the battery to the positive side of the coil, one that ran to the start poll on the solonoid and a remote start switch. I could have your car started and be driving it within about 30 or so seconds. I was the only one that I knew that ran an electric pump so I didn't bother trying to make up something for the pump.

You all see where this is going right?

23. Switch in the condenser.
    Anybody with half a brain can figure out how to hotwire right past your kill switches.
    Nobody seems to be able to find a bad condenser , or a switched one hahaha

24. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You can run it though any switch you have to turn something on in the car ! Just remember all I need is a piece of with to start your car no matter what kill switch you have . One very good way is to disconnect your battery some way . Without a battery , it just won't start .
    In the end a flatbed tow truck will take anything . Nothing is SAFE with a THIEF ! :mad::mad:

Retro Jim

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, remember I'm the electrical idiot here on the HAMB, I've been told it matters what side of the battery the switch is connected to, the car will run on the generator even if the switch is in the off position. Guess there is a storage "Battery Disconnect" and a race car "Kill Switch" that shuts off ALL power they are not the same. Wish someone could explain it.

26. that is what's good about a switch that "shorts" the coil/points, hit that switch and it is dead.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Like an ax the fire department uses on the power coming into your house?