Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. skoh73

skoh73

Great news about your wife, and it sounds like good news all around. Good karma is coming your way my friend!

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I totally agree!

3. PaulD

PaulD

Man What a read. Thanks for sharing.

4. gudhkaF1

gudhkaF1
    from NY, NY

incredible ... talent, class, and value for family
    I'm new to the HAMB but this place is awesome, I hope it continues indefinitely.

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hey Bud-----Is it true your in the mood for a 48/54 Chev. P/U? Great choice!! As you can see by my avatar I love em'. In 07 my wife and I took a 7 week Western National Parks tour, along the way we established an opinion, that we will never run out of 50's pick up's---There's a Kazillion of 'em out there!!! As you well know, there's a fountain of information on the HAMB about those Chevy P/U's. I'd be PROUD to answer any Questions you might have on them. BILL RINALDI

6. Thanks guys, things are looking up in my world.

Bill, I've been thinking about a Chevy but with modern brakes, power steering, sway bars, etc. Something that could be a no brainer daily freeway driver. My job is 30 miles of 65-70mph freeway each direction.

I hate to admit it here on the HAMB but probably something subframed. I helped a friend do a 53 in the late 80's using a 1970's Nova donor and it made a sweet driving truck. Probably look for somebody's 3/4 finished project.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. That would be me! got a 49 3 window 350/350 mustang II, 9" rear. make you a sweet deal!

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ah, no need for a subframe, I put a dropped axle under my old '56 F100 in '93 and eventually drove it coast to coast twice with no problems at all. Its all in the pieces and alignment. 'Course maybe with a Chebbie problems might arise more often. :rolleyes: :D

9. Yea but coast to coast in Oahu is about 40 miles.......

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Lol, let me clarify that. Virginia to California in 1996, California to Florida in 1998, both times towing a U Haul trailer. Truck drove and stopped just fine.

11. Fixed the stereo speakers in my daily driver over the weekend since I'm commuting to work now. It had a dead speaker when I bought it, then another failed last year. Finally last week I was down to one..... IT'S ROCKIN' NOW!

Thought I'd do a rough rundown on the cost of the F1 pickup build:

INITAL INVESTMENT
    1500 both trucks
    25 beer for tow truck driver friend
    30 tow truck gas
    ---------
    1550 total

PURCHASED PARTS

NEW
    57 license & registration (lifetime)
    26 water pump
    80 gaskets, freeze plugs, timing chain
    140 clutch kit
    69 paint & sandpaper
    60 wheel cylinders & master cyl kit
    50 nuts, bolts, oil, anti-freeze
    10 shrink tubing & solder

USED AND SWAP MEET
    45 hubcaps(3 sets), mirrors, tail lights,
    50 thermostat housing
    20 steering wheel
    100 2 sets junkyard tires
    100 2 sets of steel wheels
    30 Ranger seat, brackets & sunvisors
    40 bumpers
    40 wiring harness & alternator
    -----------
    907 total

SOLD PARTS
    (some extra parts were included with the trucks)
    60 gauge panel
    50 throttle linkage
    80 two heaters
    100 radio
    100 steering wheel
    50 hubcaps
    80 bumpers
    10 rear fender brackets
    100 set of wheels
    50 extra fender
    20 original dash switches w/wiring
    50 gas tank
    25 window regulator
    100 seat
    900 parts truck
    ----------
    1775 total

FROM PARTS STASH OR TRADES
    dash switches
    tool box
    stereo & speaker grill
    headliner & door panels
    fog lights, headlights, bumper guards
    2 cans of engine paint for Xmas
    some shop supplies
    radiator - traded a $5 Superior steering wheel
    grill - traded a pair of free rusty Model A rear fenders

+1550 INITAL INVESTMENT
    + 907 PURCHASED PARTS
    -1775 parts sales

TOTAL COST $682 and 300 hours of labor.

I'm still working on the 1931 Chryslers at work. Every piece and part seems to need massaged before it's installed. Some of the reproduction or handmade parts have been an issue. The add-on wiring harnesses for the Sun-Ray driving lights arrived today. These optional lights turn with the steering wheel from an arm connected to the drag link. Pretty cool.

Here's a set from a 'google' search.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. springer99

springer99

Hey LowKat ,
    This is the shop truck at the machine shop I used to work at.
    305/th350
    Nova front clip & jag rear end - drove sooo nice on the highway & had 4 wheel discs to boot !!!
    [​IMG]

13. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

14. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

HOLY CRAP!!! A truck that nice for only $682!?!?!? Amazing! This gives me hope to find something like that!

15. Lowkat....it's a shame you're in Oregon.....my dad is selling his 53 Chevy pickup with a Camaro clip. It's a runner in gray primer, but he's in Texas.

16. I'd have a look if it was closer. My daily driver came from Texas. The 2WD Blazers are easily found in the sunbelt and I got it cheap enough to afford shipping.

I'm gonna enjoy my F1 for the summer but seriously thinking about a 47-54 Chevy. Should be able to sell the F1 for enough to find a solid project and have some $$ left for new parts and/or paint.

I'm assembling the 31 Chryslers in a top notch shop and can probably get a deal on a spray job. The shop owner asked me to help assemble a NCRS quality 64 Vette during my 'off' hours after the Chryslers are done. That could help towards paint.

This shop cranks out some awesome work. It's called "New Start Auto Works" 1119 NE 95th St, #B, Vancouver, WA 98665 (360-574-9411)

Right now in the shop for completes are a 57 Ford hdtp rod, 57 Ford convert resto, 49 Chev PU LS powered high tech rod, 49 Shoebox convert rod, 50 Chev 'burb resto, 66 Nova SS resto, 57 little bird resto, 67 Mustang GTA convert resto-mod, 70 Chevelle SS396 resto, 64 Vette coupe resto and a 50 Shoebox old school hot rod for a wreck repair.

Portland swap meet next weekend. I have friends with several spaces on the dragstrip start line. That'll be homebase starting Friday. Look for a red 70's Corvette shell, my old gray '51 F1 rodent rod, a Toyota motorhome and a buncha' junk. Probably gonna take the Westen Flyer bikes out to ride the road course section.

Still having carb issues on my F1. Found out that the 'Load-o-Matic' distributor has no mechanical advance and relies on a special port inside the carb providing the correct vacuum signal. I'll be looking for one of those carbs and a Holley glass bowl for said carb.

Got some compliments from my boss on Thursday saying he's glad I'm working on his cars. He thanked me for my time researching, the care taken in assembly and thinking about the proper route for tasks completed as far as spending his money.

Should be bolting body parts on the tub Tuesday. I'll post some photos.

17. boutlaw

boutlaw

LowKat, finally finished reading the whole thread, what an adventure. Love the truck, glad you got a good job,and a great wife. I just purchased a 52, flattie V-8 and can't wait to get started. Will use the "rattle-can" thread as a bible.
    Good Luck Brother, you deserve it.....Keep on Posting....

BOutlaw

18. great story, I hope there are many more chapters before this one is finished. that's the way to build one, not just pick up a catalog and start ordering parts. cudos brother

19. Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  20. Went to the swap meet and the only thing I found was a hubcap to match the single on the canned hamb.

It's a '62 Nova.
    2 days of parking fees, gas, and the purchase price, I have about $50 in it.
    Oh. well had a good time, saw lots of junk and a few good deals.

2011 10 17 Siesta 05 small.JPG

Still looking for some 14' four lug Ford Maverick or Mustang steel wheels.

The 31's have the accessory lights on the front and factory cowl lights that aren't installed yet but thanks for the heads up.

What I really need for the Chrysler is an intermediate driveshaft for distributor. One I have is good, the other has the wrong gear on it and the foot is gone.

DSC06165.JPG

It carries the casting number 304838-1.
    DSC06164.JPG

Had something else good happen. The guy I sold my F1 parts truck to sent me an original carb for my pickup with the Load-O-Matic distributor. It needs a kit but in good shape. Hope to work on that this week.

He also got the parts truck running and has been driving it around. He said he's driving for the summer then street rod it this winter. 289/C4/Mustang II

He also invited me down to his property (200 acres) that he inherited from his grandpa. Said it's covered with cars but he lives at the coast and said they're all very rusty. He wouldn't tell me what's there and said I had to come and look. I'm gonna try and make it there this summer.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Talk about Karma!

22. I'm a firm believer in Karma.
    It's bit the B-I-L in the ass a few times since Jan.

The day before I moved mom out of her house, the 1 year old fridge which the B-I-L claimed, went tits up.

In Feb the dishwasher was smoking and bit the dust.

The 16 y.o. daughter wrecked her mom's 2 year old BMW that had a rider on the insurance policy excluding teenagers.

B-I-L sold mom's house and rented one. Heater caught on fire in the rental, he got it put out with an extinguisher but house has smoke damage/smell.

A tenant moved out of his strip mall, now it's operating in the red.

His beach house is back in foreclosure again.
    -------------------------------------------

The Daffodils and Tulips are in full bloom at my house............

23. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

stealing one from Facebook: :like: :D

24. skoh73

skoh73

Glad to see he is getting his just desserts for the way he acted.

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If ever anyone deserved to be served a shit sandwich your B I L did. Serves him right.

6-bangertim likes this.
  26. A-men to that!!

6-bangertim likes this.
  27. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

X2! You get what you deserve, and he deserves all that and more!

6-bangertim likes this.
  28. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

WOW! chocked full of content, a great read

29. Working some overtime this weekend.

A '54 Vette restored at another shop came in today. It keeps getting point deductions because the dash is off-color. I'm pulling the windshield and dash apart for a repaint. I drove it out of the shop to swap spots and wanted to keep on driving, told the shop owner if I didn't come back, please don't look for me.

I'll post some Vette photos next week.

Jeeez.... I need to work on my stuff although I do stay cleaner at work!

30. Yes you do. I use your build for motivation on mine.