Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just another 50 Shoebox project off in the corner.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

2. Lono

Lono

Chopping for sure.

Cold and wet out today. Might be a good day for installing Aerostar coils.
    I've used them on a 57 Ranchero, 57 fairlane 500 and a 57 Ranchwagon.

A continued outgoing thank you to FairlainDave for posting the Aerostar coil thread, it's helped a lot of hot rodders save coin on their builds while keeping them safe.

3. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Subscribed!

4. Lono

Lono

[​IMG]

Nose bleed no more.
    I love Aerostar coils. This is the fourth set now and they've worked nicely in all the fords.

Taking the old coils out was an easy task. Just put a little tension on the lower A arm to compress the spring, undo the top and bottom shock nuts and removed one side of the sway bar. With the A arm unbolted, they fell out just nicely.

[​IMG]

Pretty easy to see the difference between stock and the Aeorstar (aka way cheaper than Jamsco) coils
    I replaced the shocks at the same time.

[​IMG]

The new ride height.

[​IMG]

Blocks in the back soon and its home.

[​IMG]

The only bitch of a job was trying to get the rear A arms bolted back into place. There's no room for a wrench or socket up over the cross member.
    I hope your motor is out when you do this little trick, it'll be a lot more fun.

5. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I probably spent 3 hours on one side trying to line them damn bolts back up in the back of the A arm! That was a pain of a job. For some reason I was able to get the other side bolted back together in about 15 minutes.

It's looking good!

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Doing a Great job ! You are doing many kustom things I am going to do to my 50 sedan . You said earlier you made a video of something you did to the car . Are you going to be able to make some copies to sell ? I would be very interested in anything you have recorded on the 50 for use to help me with mine .
    Actually mine will end up being a gasser when done . I have a 1970 Ford 429 I am going to be building for the project . I have a 4 speed toploader close ratio trans for the gasser and will be running 4.88 gears in the rear .
    I am NOT looking to build a high end show car but want something nice going down the track ! I will also be able to drive the gasser on the street as well for cars shows and when I get the urge for some speed . I have some very good side country roads to have some fun on .
    I will also be using the Aerostar springs in my 55 Fairlane fordor . Those just seem to be the Magic Springs for lowering a Ford from the 40's and 50's for some reason .
    I thought about chopping my top maybe 3" to 4" but have never done one yet so I might have to pass on that maybe . Might try a very mild chop of a couple inches but will have to just wait and see .
    Are you going to keep the trunk hinges on the outside ? I am wanting to get rid of mine somehow because I think they look awfully like they are now ! I just want a very clean car on the outside and be very smooth looking .
    Let me know about the DVD you recorded and what all it has on it when done . I would be very interested in seeing how you did some things .
    Keep up the Great work !

Retro Jim

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

8. Lono

Lono

Jim, click on the image in post #44... it will play for you

9. Lono

Lono

I'm liking my $50.00 swap meet wheel. :D
    [​IMG]

10. daddio211

daddio211

I like it too! Wanna make $20? :D

11. Holy cow...slow down man. Your making me feel like i'm taking forever on mine. Poof... it's under primer. WOW

12. Lono

Lono

There's lot of slow days ahead. A lot more blocking and straightening, welding and mending. I'm turning to the electrical tomorrow. A new ignition and a little gas and we'll see if she'll fire up.

I've had so many cars over the years, so many projects. Every one has been bought with the idea of being the keeper. All of them have been, " the one I always wanted."

I fell in love with the first chopped shoebox I ever seen around 1975. Back then repop spotlights were the cool new piece of hard to find bling and it sold for $229.00 each - big money back in 75. To me, teh shoebox is to mercs what A's are to '32's. The ones the average guy can afford and can turn heads for 1/3 the price. Every one I see takes me back to the first black and flamed out one I seen.

The last few years have been busy jumping from one car to the next because I love building even more than driving. I turned 50 this year and made a resolution to consume less and enjoy more.

My plan is to build this girl, get to know her and if we're compatible, she'll be a keeper. That'll mean a chop, full interior, disks, shiny paint, the whole package. For now, baby steps and get to know her a little more.

13. ausbuick

ausbuick

very very good thread dude im subscribed.
    keep up the good work
    cheers darren

14. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Always one of my favorites since early high school!!
    Nice shoebox, and great job.
    Cheers......

15. Lono

Lono

Took the front seat out so I could screw myself under the dash to put a new ignition in.
    I can hear the electric pump running. There's no smoke... the key turns.. the button turns over the motor.
    Time to charge the battery and pace back and forth... [​IMG]

just click and play...
    [​IMG]
    YEAH BABY!
    Tune up time tomorrow!

[​IMG]

16. Sweet thread! Love the progress on your Shoebox!

17. Lono

Lono

New plugs, points, wires, condenser, cap, rotor and.... nothing.
    A call to my flathead guru Marty for guidance and a follow up house call and.....click and play

[​IMG]

A carb rebuild and some fresh gas should make it a happy camper... like me. :D

18. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Great build and the video's are awesome! Have you just used new coils in the front with no other mods? Thanks.

Andy.

19. Lono

Lono

Just the coils.

20. tragic59

tragic59

Great progress and great thread.

"Consume less and enjoy more"... Amen!

21. bigdav160

bigdav160

Subscribed also.

I really need to get back on my '50

22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Nice job Lono! Makes me want to get back onto my shoebox, "Sexy Sadie"... One of Ford's top 10 designs in my opinion!

23. Nice thread mate, what steering wheel is that I really like that. Des

24. Lono

Lono

Far as i can tell a 52 ford car wheel. thanks.

25. Lono

Lono

First the could have:
    I could have spent $180.00 on a solenoid, but did'nt.
    Instead I made a hidden trunk release with a $5.00 pick a part import lock.

Originally the lock mechanism is in the trunk lid. When I'm done it will be on the base of the rear deck.

The original adjustment plate was here.
    [​IMG]

A chunk of 1 x 1 angle iron
    [​IMG]

Cut to be the mounting bracket.
    The cutaway is for clearance for the lock mechanism
    [​IMG]

The lock mechanism is mounted to the bracket by drilling 2 holes for 7/16 bolts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The locking bolt is mounted to a similar piece of angle iron.
    [​IMG]

Inside the trunk the location for the locking mechanism is found by closing the lid and positioning in a location where the striker bolt can make complete contact with the jaws of the lock.

It will need to be welded in with about 5 degrees of angle as the trunk lid comes down at an angle.

Clearance must be taken into account to allow the locking bolt to fully engage the lock mechanism when closed.
    [​IMG]

Once that's found the mechanism is tacked into place.
    [​IMG]

I'm using a hard wire ( coat hanger) to release the lock, It's been fed through the signal light wire hole in the floor and comes out between the frame and the rear fender.
    [​IMG]

The original truck lock is removed and capped with some fresh steel..
    [​IMG]

The locking bolt is welded in place once the location is found.
    To do this, I got inside, closed the trunk, engaged the bolt in the lock, and held it in place and tack welded it. I tested it prior to completing the welds to be sure the trunk would open and close without rubbing against the mechanism..
    [​IMG]

Presently I dont have truck lid rubber. When i install that I can adjust for the height of the mechanism by adding washers under the bolts that mount it to the bracket.
    I can now access the trunk via the hidden wire release and dont have to worry about the battery ever going dead and leaving me stranded outside the trunk.

In retropect, I could have mounted the mechanism a little higher and allowed it to go up inside the hole where the bolt could have been hidden.
    I think I just might do that.

26. Good times.Great start.

27. 73super

73super

Subscribed. Love the car... ! Looking forward to progress.

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

fun to watch the progress. some neat tricks made simple.

i caught the vid of the 550 getting loaded up. that must have been a tough good-bye.

29. Lono

Lono

Yeah, it was a little hard to let go of the 550. There were only 3 registered in Canada when I had mine. A real little snot to drive too.

Today was one of those, nice warm spring days so the old gal stuck her nose out into the sun.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I plan to pressure wash the motor up a little and bomb around the yard.

30. Great thread. I just read the whole thing. Videos are a nice touch.
    Your shop looks familiar. It's bugging me. I'm thinking I saw It or drove by it one spring while up for the Blossom run.............