Register now to get rid of these ads!

need to reverse the direction of my steering colum rotation ..looking for small gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old bone, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've seen it done with a sun gear set out of an automatic transmission. If you hold the planetaries still, the outer gear turns the opposite direction of the sun gear.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I made mine I clamped the two gears closely together and measured across the bearings to get my centers. Then bored the plates to that dimension and made an aluminum center spacer to go between the plates. One plate was longer to allow it to act as the mount. I then set the gear box up in a drill press and ran some fine lapping compound through the gears until it would turn very freely but with out backlash. Cleaned it and packed it with grease. Give it a squirt every now and then. Seems to return just fine. Come on people. You trust me to work on 747 steering. Why not a 32 Ford?

3. The difference Rich is that WE KNOW YOU HAVE THE SKILLS.:) The OP, not so much.:eek:

4. terry48435

terry48435

You hit the nail on the head.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

With enough practice, I'm sure you could learn to drive it that way. Think of it as an anti-theft device.

6. HamD

HamD

Mount one of these gearsets to the firewall:
    [​IMG]

7. old bone

old bone
    from maine

my buddie gave me a collection on late 70's street rodder mags...they had an article on mounting a manual rack to the axle..said it was the best set up going ..no bmp steer whatsoever.this jag unit is tiny..just looks like a pipe behind the axle..can hardly see it...i am using double universal joints on the rack and another set on the steering coulum..

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

They arent too hard to make... This one took about a day
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Biggest problem with that is we don't have Bluebird's over here! I wonder what US model that is.

10. hey Rich, if the reverser box was at the same plane as the rear of the radius rod mounts, what was the angle of the steering column? Seems like it would end up like Bus Steering.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, of course it can be done.

But selecting the right part to begin with could be a better option than putting bandaids on it, and for him to try to micky mouse himself out of a problem.

BTW... I think I've read Etype rack in one of the OP posts.

They came in RHD and LHD...

12. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I saw lots of them in LA 10 years ago.

U11 , U12 , or U13 Nissan is the model numbers . 1983-1997
    It could be badged as a Stanza or Altima

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Bluebird

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If no one had ever invented the universal joint you would be correct. Even so the column was kind of less than ideal. But the OP came here to get an answer. And he did. Reverse the Jag box. I would guess that any car that is sold with both left and right steering would have both left and right R&P units. They sell lots of Buicks in China. And when I was in Hong Kong they drove on the left. Lots of good cars in OZ. I really like the whole right hand R&P idea. But it was about 35 years ago that I reversed the steering in my coup. Didn't think about it at the time.

14. F&J

F&J

Well, scatch 747's off my list of no-fly's :rolleyes:

JK, ;):D

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

35 years ago it wouldnt have been as easy as it is today.

You can go on Ebay UK now and probably get one without to much trouble.

So then that just leaves the whole R&P mounted on a front axle discussion.... :rolleyes:

16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

One thing I forgot to mention here

A lot of Toyota Vans have a front steer rack with the pinion facing towards the front. Then they have a "V" drive steering box to get the column pointing up [ forward mounted controls ]
    This could be worth investigating. [ It was safe for Toyota to do ]

I still think using the correct steering rack is better than trying to alter the rotation of one. [ more moving parts = more trouble ]

17. Ah yes, it's the Altima here!

Rich, I was just asking how your column came out, not saying anything about the OP's question or the myriad of good and bad answers. And I realize that you had to use U Joints, but it would seem that if the reverser were essentially at your feet, then that column would be fairly vertical, that's all (and it sounds like it was). By the way, China drives on the Right ;)

18. I built a rack onto a 56 ford pickup axle, it works wonderfully. The motion on axle movement is much less as the shafts are long. It is taken up in splined sections.

19. I made a steering reversing box that looks just like yours except that I fitted zerks .

20. It is easier to turn the rack over than to make a gearbox. Unless you can't move the steering shaft to the other side of the engine(as was my case).

21. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----
    Ditto on what both "pasadenahotrod"
    and "Kerrynzl" said! Get the proper
    rack! Jeeze!!

Mart3406
    ================

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As you should be able to see, the pivot point of my radius rods is somewhat froward of my feet. I believe you might also be able to see the angle of the steering wheel through the window. Picture was taken in '78. I am begining to think that my previous statement
    "I know lots of "experts" who have never tried it would say else wise." has hurt some feelings. If you feel it was aimed at you,Sorry. I will challenge anyone to show me why a properly installed reverser steering box is any more dangerous than reverse gears in your transmission.

Attached Files:

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And 737s. and 57s, 67s, 77s, and A319 and 20 aircraft. But you should be alright. I retired 14 years ago.

24. Which is fairly untraditional.

25. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

What's the design-spec on the gears the average, non-machinist, non-metalergist is going to have access to?
    Is there any kind of analysis as to what kind of forces would be placed on the gear teeth while driving the car on a regular basis? There's a fair amount of resistance and stress on my steering wheel when I'm backing out of a parking space in my '61 Suburban or '54 Buick with manual steering.
    Over time, will that kind of stress be enough to severely wear, or even sheer, the teeth that are going to be found on the McMaster-Carr gears in that reverser box?

Stripped gears in a transmission rarely result in the car driving straight when the road curves. Stripped transmission gears will rarely result in the car driving into on-coming traffic of its on will.

If not the gear teeth, how about how the gears are attached to the shaft? Are theybroached with a key, D- or Double-D shaft with the same in the gear's center? Pinned? Set-screw? Welded?
    And what is the builder's ability to properly install these gears on the shafts? What tools does he have access to? How good is the machine shop he'll hire? Will they understand how critical the components are, and design them accordingly? Will they want that liability?

I ask that last part specifically for this reason: If he had the skill and ability to do it, he wouldn't have come on here asking about it, he'd have just done it.

-Brad

26. Rich, it wasn't your comment about "Experts" that bothered me, I didn't think that was directed at me, since I never questioned or doubted this working. This - If no one had ever invented the universal joint you would be correct. Even so the column was kind of less than ideal. But the OP came here to get an answer. And he did. was what I thought was a bit of a snide remark that was pointed at me (since you said it in a quote of my comments). Don't worry, I'm not hurt by it, just thought it was a bit uncalled for.
    As for the pivot points, since there previously was no picture I was thinking more of the common longer, further back mounting position of say a split bone or longer hairpin. Your picture clears up that question.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK. Everybodys happy now. The people who were against reversing the rotation of his steering shaft, were in the end correct. Because of the design of the R&P he is using, flipping the piece is a much cleaner and better way to accomplish what he wanted to do. Still on my car reversing the shaft rotation was, I felt, my best option. And it worked fine for me as it has for others. It could be unsafe if done poorly. As could be numerous other modifications we do to our brakes, steering suspension and so forth. Anyone who isn't comfortable with their personal skill level is right not to do these modifications. But skill comes from experience. And you can't build experience without trying things. And I didn't mean to be snide concerning universal joints. Maybe I just came across that way inadvertently. Sorry.

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Exactly! Instead of trying to
    re-invent the wheel with
    homemade gearboxes and other
    Rube Goldberg-like contraptions
    - just get the proper gawdamn
    steering rack - one that's already
    configured to turn your wheels in
    the proper direction! What's so
    hard about that? You bought the
    wrong steering rack, that's all. If
    you bought the wrong intake
    manifold - say, one for Small Block
    Ford when you needed one for a
    Big Block Chev, what would you
    do? Would you change it for one
    that would fit your engine - or
    would you try and cobble up
    some homebrew adapter to make
    it work? What would be the point,
    of that right?? It's the same thing
    with a steering rack, except that
    steering is a whole lot more critical
    and your life depends on it. Just
    change the rack It will be cheaper,
    easier and quicker to do, and you'll
    know that it's properly engineered
    and it that will be SAFE!

This is steering you're dealing with
    for gods sake. And it's not just you
    and your life that's at stake - it's my
    life - and the lives of everybody else
    who uses the road too - not to
    mention the reputation of the
    whole 'old car' and hoit-rodding'
    hobby as well. Politicians, insurance
    companies and litigation lawyers
    just love stuff like this and go
    absolutely nuts when some idiot's
    homemade modification fails and
    kills a bunch of people - and
    then they crack down on everybody
    else who drives an old or modified
    car and make all of us pay the
    price.

GO AND BUY THE PROPER
    RACK! THE PARTS STORES
    AND BONEYARDS ARE
    OVERFLOWING WITH THEM!

Mart3406
    =================

29. It's all good - Sometimes I get a bit defensive, or so my shrink says :D

30. trades707

trades707
    from Oregon

Hey Chaz and Dennis G

Where did you get the gears and mounting? I've got a Saginaw steering box that sticks back toward the cab further than the steering column sticks out, and this looks like a better solution than using several U-joints to make an S shape steering column.
    Thanks
    Abe