Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '36DD - (My Double Duty 3-window build.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Surf City, Mar 30, 2012.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very nice! I like where this is heading.. There aren't enough hot rodded '36 Fords.

What are you planning to run for the drivetrain or is that going to be a surprise?

2. No - nothing real exciting for the drivetrain.
    I would have dearly loved to run a 270 Hemi in this, but I haven't been able to find one in time, so I'll have to scratch that itch on another project.

I'll be running an early smallblock, most likely a '62 327, with fuellies and an Offy 4-two intake, and a bunch of other period stuff, along with a well hidden Tremec TKO600 on a 'Vette aluminum bellhousing, into an open drive Rodsville quickchange, with '36 housings and the Hot Rod Works 9" axle conversion.

I'm planning on using this car a lot!

Bear:)

3. Mart

Mart

Nice work.

Love the rear notch. So much tidier than those normally seen.

Mart.

4. Thanks for the comment.:)

Nobody is ever gonna' really see that rear notch once everything's done, but it's always bugged me seeing an abrupt, squared off notch in a nice flowing frame rail.
    I figure it's gotta' be stronger this way too.

Filled the last couple of holes in the rear rails. These larger ones are where the brake rods ran thru' (I think), and had a flared edge at each end.
    I had thought about pounding the edges flat, then filling the remainder, but figured it would be nicer to just cut out the surrounding area and put in a bigger patch.

lasthole1.jpg
    lasthole2.jpg
    lasthole3.jpg

Welded, sanded and gone...:D

lasthole4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very nice. Nothing untraditional about a small block Chevy. I've been thinking about getting the Offy 4-2 intake myself but I'm trying to hold out for a Weiand WC4D for my '57 283. If it's not in the cards, then the Offy will make its way onto my A.

Sounds like you'll be able to have some fun in this thing for sure. ;)

6. Steverod

Steverod

i want mooooooore,great work & skills

7. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

beautiful frame work!

8. Thanks guys, it's all been fairly boring stuff so far.
    I guess it can only get better...:)

9. Bear,
    You are setting the bar super high! Love this car...glad you did a build thread. Maybe I missed it, but are those 40 rear fenders? They look great.
    Subscribed!!!

10. Hey Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. Nothing special about the rear fenders - they're off of a '36 sedan so they will need a bit of work to make them fit.

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking great!!

12. Next step was to cut and fit the boxing plates.
    After I'd been thru' and straightened the flanges on the rails, I made some accurate templates from cardboard, then transferred the pattern to 1/8" plate.
    Cut these out with a thin cut off disc on a 4" grinder, then fine tuned the fit with a sander.

Once I was totally happy with the fit, I sanded a nice chamfer on the edges of the plates to get good weld penetration, then tacked them into place.

boxingplate3.jpg
    boxingplate2.jpg

I put a 45 degree turn in at the front end of the plates too, so that the area forward of the front crossmember looks original, and will still accept the radiator and front bumper mounts.

boxingplate1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  13. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

looking good. keep it up

14. Very nice work alright.
    Might need a trip to Gisborne and check it in person.

15. Thanks for the encouragement, Kage.

This is one of those stages in a build where you've done a whole bunch of work, but it feels like you've just gone around in one big old circle and really gotten nowhere.

tig2.jpg
    tig3.jpg

I got done welding the boxing plates in, and got everything sanded up ready to start going forward,(at last).
    I built a whole '34 frame from flat sheet in less time than I've got in this!:eek:
    Don't ever let anyone tell ya' that aftermarket rails are expensive...:(

Still, I figure ya' can't put an original body onto an aftermarket frame - it just wouldn't be right.;)

boxingplate5.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  16. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I'll be watching this build!! It looks like its gonna be a great one! I like the attention to detail your putting into it already. 36' is one of my favorite cars. Keep up the great progress.

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Those frame rails sure look clean.

18. Thanks for the comments. A '36 3-window has been my dream car for nearly 40 years so I'm pretty determined to get it right!:D

19. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Great stuff. First class job. Love it.

20. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

real nice work...you could do surgery in that shop!
    -palle

21. cooljunk

cooljunk

When I do that much grinding my shop is a filthy mess!

22. keep it coming looks good

23. Thanks guys! Feels like a whole bunch of work without making any real progress.
    Still, now all that's squared away, I can get into fabricating some stuff, which is a heap more satisfying.

Cheers, Palle.
    I guess that's the upside of having a brand new shop.
    It lacks 'character', but I'm slowly getting it messed up!

24. dB Zac

dB Zac

man, for the amount of welding on little holes you have had to do, you could have prob had the entire sides lazer/plasma/water jet cut and just made the whole frame. Its coming along and looks sweet!

25. richie rebel

richie rebel

my man, your doing one badass job, and your welding is good, very good, now get to work lol,richie.........

26. Ya 'mean like this?

34 chassis 1.jpg

Last frame I built (a few years back) I cut it out by hand with a nibbler, then welded the whole thing up in less time than I have in the '36.
    This one was for my '34 woodie ( which I'm still doing:eek:). It needed a lot more kickup at either end than a stocker, so I figured the easiest way was to start from scratch, hence the '32 style front section and swept 'c' rear.

So yeah', you're right, it would have been a whole bunch easier, but then I wouldn't have had a real deal '36 frame, would I?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  27. Awesome work Bear, super clean and great attention to detail.

28. Thanks - hope I haven't cleaned them up too much. I don't want to lose sight of the fact that this is an original frame. Once I start putting it back together it will begin to look more like a genuine piece again.:D

29. striper

striper

Geez, I've been waiting for you to get back.

30. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

great work, im subscribed.