Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects why in the hell....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Abomb

Abomb

Well, now the interior is out, so I could get the quarter trim off and I had to take out the windshield to get that trim out of the way, sooo...I may as well paint the dash too......geez, I'm an idiot. Every weekend this month has family stuff going on, and I have no idea when this thing is going to get done......what have I done ?????

2. G'day,

It's not your fault. Now I don't want to insult/infuriate the fairer sex because some of them like to work on cars too, but I think some of us males have a defective Y chromosome that makes us do stupid things like tear apart a perfectly running transportation unit to bend and mold it into the shape that we want it in. I mean if it wasn't defective we would be out playing golf or something like that. But no, we have a fascination with steel, cast iron, aluminum, or even fiberglass.

ms

3. johnod

johnod

I'm feeling so much better about myself after reading this thread.
    I thought it was just me.
    I didn't know there was a club.

Thanks guys.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm not an addict. I can stop when ever I want. Right after......this.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. tall49

tall49
    from cypress tx

im from cypress.in the last 20 years its exploded out here. now you cant go to the parts house without seeing someone driving talking on the phone going 20 in a 45.then the shoot u the bird when u pass them with open pipes. i love driving with the fender well headers open.

6. tall49

tall49
    from cypress tx

i think i need to move out farther to hemstead,or at least hockley

7. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Ah..Newlyweds...

8. Homemade44

Homemade44

You are just increasing the value of the project and improving you skills. Think what your car will be worth when you get it finished. Have done several like you describe and sold them now I am rich. You are not crazy or an idiot.

Still trying to decide what to do with the 3 cents an hour I made.

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  9. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Who knows you better than your wife- thats why mine are ex's. It is a common illness
    that we all share. If you think it is bad when you do a car- wait till your wife decides to
    remodel, then it really gets expensive.

I can't say to much though- I wanted to relocate a wall switch which was on the wrong side of the door. This led to opening up the ceiling to get to the wiring, which led to removal of two ceilings, replacing 1/2 the wiring( it turned out to be knob and tube)
    rewire, install new ceiling, new lights, move the switch, now that i could see the counter
    tops looked terrible, so new counter tops, reface cabinets, new trim, repaint, replace door... hope the tenant is enjoying it. Jim

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't see any pictures of the disaster you created though.:(

11. Ha Ha Ha Ha !!! :D

My snowball blew up a long time ago, the pieces still scattered about my small garage. Wife quotes "are you ever going to fix that thing" and "gee it would be nice to have my car in the garage" neither one said in a happy tone.

12. Abomb

Abomb

Yep, just married in 1994....

Been there, done that...I'm convinced that levels weren't invented yet when my house was built...the kitchen floor project cost me a dishwasher, and the countertop project cost me a new sink and cooktop.

Hell, I hardly have any time to work on what I've started, let alone take pictures of the mess....I'll get some when I get it all stripped though.

13. Abomb

Abomb

3 1/2 years later, I'm still saying it...I've made some progress though...

[​IMG]

Guide coated...I still had plenty of work to do, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some of that work....Don't worry, I missed plenty.

[​IMG]

Okay, we're pretty much current now...When you take this long to get something done, putting it back together will be a challenge too...I hope I can remember how all the window opening trim goes back together...

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  14. e z i

e z i

Every car I get I'm just gunna lower it and drive it, then, a year later..well you know..

15. Abomb

Abomb

Yes...I certainly know...

16. Abomb

Abomb

Progress...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the trim is complete, I'm hoping Santa is bringing me shiny new bumpers for Christmas.....but I'm not holding my breath.

17. Slopok

Slopok

What are you goin do with all that leftover orange paint? That didn't take 3 gallons, now you gotta buy something else to put all that free paint on you idiot!;) Merry Christmas, hope you get your wish.

18. looking good. What's holding up the windshield install? :)

19. Abomb

Abomb

Fear, mostly...Never done it before, and can't afford a mistake.

lothiandon1940 and pat59 like this.
  20. Abomb

Abomb

I have my son's 59 GMC, and a T roadster project waiting their turn...Of course my son's not a big fan of orange, but if I tell him to pay for the paint, he'll come around.....I may be an idiot, but I plan ahead...waaayyy ahead.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What the heck is that black doing on the car ? You really are an idiot, you are supposed to paint the whole car :D
    You missed huge parts of it. :D
    Do you think it might be time to change your avatar picture ? Or do we wait 3 or more years for that ? :D:D

22. Abomb

Abomb

It's gray...I meant to do that...although it does look like Harley Davidson sponsored my paint job. Which is funny, really, because a 1978 Harley Lowrider project came along and delayed the paint job by more than a year...as for the avatar picture, eh...I'll get around to it one of these days :)

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

I understand perfectly, always improving my toys, IMO, but change part F, changes D &E then G & H and the might as well do this too takes over, I guess this what the Hobby is about, But it does get better w/ age, take my word for it. Lucky for me my wife understands me and my hobby AND I have asked myself the same question, Why ???

24. stronga

stronga

My like as well.

25. Abomb

Abomb

Almost...BTW, you know you live in a one horse town if you're out of luck after Noon on a Saturday, when needing parts ... The windshield installation went smooth, especially considering I did it by myself.

[​IMG]

pat59 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Nothing better than a 55 hard top. Looking good!!

Abomb likes this.
  27. You're doing better than I am...you only have 3 years in yours....I got 8. I keep saying I'll drive it next summer.BTW, it looks great in orange....better than that old pale yeller.

lothiandon1940 and Abomb like this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Not to be a downer, but I liked the yellow better.
    But, it's a beautiful car either way.

29. indyjps

indyjps

I'm the same way, I can't buy a finished car and leave it alone. I need to see it all apart to trust it or get attached to it.
    I've said before I need to be a car buyer, not car builder, but it hasn't happened yet.

flux capacitor likes this.
  30. Great job on the windshield! I vote for the left marker light next! :)

prefect20 and Abomb like this.