Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 to 350 experience.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Armandi, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Armandi

Armandi

Im looking to mate a T5 to a 350. I have been reading about the pros and cons on various sites. Anyone have real world testimonials on this?

T5 Camaro vs Mustang? Mustang bellhousing to 350?

Camaro 15 degree tilt?

Right now I think what I have is an S10 tranny with a Camaro tail shaft.

2. Window Licker

Window Licker

im on my 3rd t5 behind a stock 350 maybe 180hp, id say if you have other options do it, i already had 3 thats why i used them. im looking to go to something else.

3. Armandi

Armandi

Ill be around 300 hp. I want a 5 speed.

4. Window Licker

Window Licker

i hate to say it but the t5 probably isnt your best choice, maybe i just have bad luck, but the consensus seems to be that t5's dont last behind sbc's

id like to put a tko behind mine, but thats an expensive choice.

5. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a T-5 from an S-10 behind a 350 in a customer car last year. Very happy with it. The T-5 should hold up just fine in a light car. I used an aluminum bellhousing from a 1976 Nova. Virtually any bellhousing will work. The tilted ones may give you more grief. The only modification I had to do was machine the front bearing retainer. I even used the stock electronic speedometer from the S-10. I also ran a hydraulic throw out bearing. A huge plus in a limited space application. PM me if you want to know more. Good luck.

belair likes this.
  6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I have been running a T5 behind a 400 hp SBC for 8 years....It's not a race transmission so you just don't abuse it and it will last forever. They are rated at 310 ft lb.
    If you want super strength and power shifts, use a Lenco or a big Tremec.

D-Russ likes this.
  7. Armandi

Armandi

I dont plan on racing this thing so thats good to know. What T5 setup?

8. Window Licker

Window Licker

i dont race mine, its lightweight (1900 lbs) on bias-ply tires, and im still not willing to abuse it. id say if you want to drive it like a hot rod and not worry about tearing something up, look into other options before you go with a t5. others have better luck, im just getting sick of swapping them out. looks like now ill have to put a new tunnel in my finished truck cause the t5 doesnt suit the way i drive (which i consider mild), i hate to see someone else run into the same issue.

now dont get me wrong i think they are a great trans i plan on putting one behind my merc flathead

good luck

9. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

What car, what rear tire, what intended use?

10. Armandi

Armandi

28 model A Tudor. Custom chassis. 16 inch KH wire wheels with bias play tires.

11. Armandi

Armandi

The tailshaft I have is missing the shifter and I believe it's electric speedo. Best sources when on a budget? What cars can I pull from?

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

A transmission shop will have all the stuff you need..You can normally get used parts that are gauranteed to work. Better than taking your chances on wrecking yard stuff.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  13. I ran a T5 from a 90' Camaro behind a 350 Vortec. No issues at all. Loved it.

14. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I have a T5 hybrid to go in my coupe. It has a V8 Camaro/Firebird gearset and an S10 tailshaft. The gear ratios are 2.95, 1.99, 1.34, 1.00, and 0.68 5th. It should run around 70 mph @ 2000 rpm in 5th with 4.11 differiential gears and 7.50X16 tires.
    The transmission will fit any GM bellhousing '55 and up, use the same clutch and throw-out bearing, just change to a 26 spline clutch disc. The trans. is exactly 3.5" longer than a Muncie or Saginaw and uses the same driveshaft yoke...

Attached Files:

NJ Mike likes this.
  15. Ole don

Ole don

I have seen brand new T 5's advertised, nearly the same money as a new T500. You pays your money and gets your parts.

16. I did the same thing that chopt top did. Camaro box with a S-10 tail in my '55 wagon daily driver. Been in there for about 9 years, hundreds of shifts a day and the yearly flogging at the drags. Never one problem, best thing I ever did to that car.

17. Armandi

Armandi

This is why I love this forum. Real world answers from real world guys. Thx.

NJ Mike likes this.
  18. lonewolf900

lonewolf900

What type of bellhousing did you use?
    Thanks
    Lonewolf900

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done several T5's behind 300 HP SBCs for customers and have a 3 window and roadster of my own with this conversion. I use the Camero T5 with S10 tailshaft in all the conversions. All have worked great. I use a bellhousing for a 10.5 inch clutch and many of them I have converted the clutch arm to the right side and ran the clutch with a hydraulic slave. I've done this as most of them have been in 32's with limited room for both the pedals and the clutch arm on the left side.

20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Check out modern driveline. They sell new t5z with their own new cast tail housing. They have everything for that application bell, clutch, etc. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464220133.082854.jpg
    It's all new, but it ain't cheap !

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Also search " ultimate t5 thread" by flat ernie. Lots of info in one place. Good luck with it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Had one in my sedan. Made it 43 miles and broke the counter shaft. Swapped it to a Tko 600. Problem solved. Just put the second t5 in my mild 49. It will get a Tko next time.

23. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I have yet to detonate my non-world class T5, ask anyone that knows me, I don't baby it. I don't race it either. Put it in and run it.
    image.jpeg

24. Tony

Tony

I used a non world class camaro trans with a s-10 tail in my 32.
    Pretty simple install. Hone the 4 mounting holes to 1/2" and it'll bolt to most chevy bell housings. And my trans was the one thats originally canted. You just have to swap the shifter to a straight one.
    Mine is bolted to a lakewood scatter shield.

That being said, it will work if you are not too aggressive with it, as some have said.
    I however, broke mine twice in the first 3 weeks the car was on the road.

But, im also pushing wayyyyyy more hp/tq than its rated for. Like close to 600 hp with a blown sbc. I knew it was a serious weak link from day one, but its what i had and needed a 5 speed with the gears im running.
    Its still in it but im light on the to pedal so i can keep driving it til i can afford a real hd transmission for it.

Tony

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, a T5 from a 80's Camaro will be OK if you do not abuse it. It was designed and used in light duty applications 200 HP 250 Torque, be curious to read if there was more models of T5 w/ HD applications

26. A short history of the T5...

The T5 was never intended to be a 'performance' transmission; it was designed as a lightweight, light duty box for use behind 4 and 6 cylinder motors. Ford was the one who 'pushed the envelope' with them, getting B-W to develop a 'H-D' version for use behind the 5.0 Mustangs eventually developed into the version known as the 'world class'. Even then, durability issues surfaced; when GM built a limited-production-run of special 350-powered Camaros to answer Ford's offering of the first 5.0 Mustang Cobras, it was only offered with an automatic because the T5 torque rating was below what GM wanted to see. They were eventually 'upgraded' to about a 400 ft-lb torque rating with 'full' world class parts (well below what the old Ford toploader and Muncie 4-speeds would take) but almost every part inside of these was different from the 'regular' T5; high-nickel gears and shafts, upgraded syncros and bearings, stronger shift forks. And IIRC, the 'world class' T5 was only sold as OEM in very limited numbers; most were sold as across-the-counter replacements or as 'upgrade kits' for standard T5s, so you won't find these in boneyards. Even Ford passed on the T5 when they offered the 'Cobra R' Mustang; they used the Tremec.

Once the initial teething problems with the Tremec 5-speed (with it's much higher rating) were addressed, development on the T5 pretty much stopped and B-W eventually sold the tooling to Tremec (who still makes them). You can still get 'world class' T5s from some vendors, but prices now approach the TKO and they still have a lower torque rating. The T5 is smaller/lighter compared to the TKO, so if space is a consideration it may be worth a look.

TA DAD and wicarnut like this.
  27. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I have had my 1982 T-5 (Rebuilt) behind my torquey 292 Inline 6 for 20 years. My motor has approx 250Hp and 300 lbs of Torque. 3:55 Nova rear and 30" tall x 9" wide tires. It will occasionally break the tires loose but I know not to do that or I'll be finding a new tranny. Just for cruising and highway driving it's great!

28. Ariel babad

Ariel babad

Hey can you plz tell more info of the parts that you use? Bell .adapter .clutch. pressureplate .flywheel .throwout. and such more... thanks

29. raven

raven

I wouldn’t do it. Oh wait, I did do it. That why my 54 is sitting waiting for me to fix it. Go with something stronger.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. tjm73

tjm73

The best things about a T5 is they are lightweight, absorb little power and shift real smooth. The worst thing about a T5 is they are not robust enough for most V8's. There are fixes that will allow 500+ hp and still survive in a drag racing environment, but you will at least $2K into it. A TKO 500/600 is a better option. and only a couple hundred dollars more.

None of that matters if the tires never really hook up. If the tires spin the trans is safe.

Montana1 likes this.