Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternative to 50's Buick vac wipers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big hugh ness, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Gents.
    The vacuum wipers are no longer a viable option and I was tossing up on what to fit in its place. I had been thinking Jag, as it has that cable driven system that seems really adaptable. However, I have discovered the wheelboxes of the jag wiper actually foul the dashboard. In other words, they sit too high if I use them in the original holes where the old wipers went.
    Has anyone had much success in finding an alternative 12 volt electrical option? I know there is an electric motor that fits exactly in the same place as the old vacuum unit, but it uses existing cable mechanisms. I dont have the cables, so I have to start from scratch.
    Has anyone been successful in getting, say, a mini or morris or triumph or austin in there? The reason I ask is that they seem to have smaller wheelboxes than the jag.
    Any ideas, pies in the eye, etc, as always, very welcome...

2. desotot

desotot

well, you didn't exactly specify what year, my son has a 55 special and we put an electric 57 chev wiper motor on his car and were able to retain the buick cable system which was not worn out however that is not always the case. More information would help.

3. Oops! forgot you guys weren't mind readers. '52

4. buford26

buford26

5. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

yep they do. 209 bucks...easy peasy lemon squeezy

6. Dudes, this unit utlises existing cables.
    I don't have the cables.
    To quote them:
    "Motor mounts in stock location on flat firewall in engine compartment and operates through OEM cables."
    My cables were damaged when I bought the car, so it has to be something completely new.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  7. rdrunner1974

rdrunner1974
    from Vermont

8. Ta, mate. Looks comprehensive.

I think I might have cracked it. The Series III Land Rover Defender Wheelbox comes in at around 2.5 cm less in height than the series III XJ6 Jag unit, from what I can tell. Sorry to be a serial pest. I'll eff off and do some more investigating first.
    It's just that (correct me if I am wrong) the Chevie's must have more space behind the dash (that is, underneath it) for these wheelboxes than the Buick. those ones in that kit look pretty tall.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012