Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 chrysler transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kaiser53, Mar 31, 2012.

1. kaiser53

kaiser53

i have a 1951 chrysler newyorker with the 331 hemi and 2 speed transmission automatic, what im wondering is when im going around 30-35 mph, the rpms keep rising like it need to shift again, is this normal? ive had the car to 50mph and just sounds like its rpms are too high, but i dont know much about these transmissions. if its not normal, what should i check first, electric solonoids?

2. your trans is actually 4 speed.

push in clutch, shift into low range, let out clutch and drive away.

when the rpm's are up, let off the gas and wait for the trans to shift. reapply throttle.

when it's ready to go to the next gear, clutch it and shift to high range.

rpm comes up again, let off throttle, wait for trans to shift, reapply throttle

3. or you can leave in high and not use the clutch and drive it like an automatic but still back off the pedal to make the 3-4 shift. you have a safety clutch and a torque converter

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What you have is either Fluid Drive or Fluid Torque Drive. Basically the same except one has a torque converter the other fluid drive.

It was one of the earliest efforts at an automatic drive. It has characteristics of manual trans and automatic.

If it is fluid drive the gear positions are like so>

starting from neutral,

Reverse gear, towards you and up

Low range, straight up

High range, straight down

Normal driving is like this. Set the hand brake. Start the engine and let it warm up a minute. Step on the clutch, shift into High, release clutch. You are now sitting with the brake on like an automatic.

Release the brake, step on the gas and go someplace. When you want to shift into High gear, lift your foot off the gas. You will hear a soft *click-clack* from under the floorboards. You are now in high gear.

This shift can be accomplished at any speed above 14 MPH.

For slow driving, starting off on a hill, pulling a heavy load, or driving through deep snow, sand or mud you can use Low range. This works the same as High range but of course, you go slower. Will upshift to High gear (of low range) at 6 MPH or higher.

To shift into reverse, stop, step on clutch, shift, release clutch.

When you come to a stop sign the transmission will automatically start off in low. Shift up by lifting off the gas at any speed above 14 MPH. No need to use the clutch or gearshift, just drive it like any automatic.

If you are in High gear of high range, the transmission will kick down like any automatic, if you floor the gas pedal, at any speed up to 50 MPH.

That is how it is supposed to work. They are a very tough long lived transmission. If you have the Hemi V8 and Fluid Torque drive you can scare the hell out of other people, and possibly yourself. If you start in low range and do a brake torque. Not recommended but fun.

If the trans does not work as described it probably just needs the oil topped up or possibly the wiring has gotten frayed or broken. 9 times out of 10 they are easy to fix . If you have any more problems you can ask here or go to the AACA web site and do a search on their Chrysler and Dodge boards.

5. kaiser53

kaiser53

thanks for the responses, the trans shifts in high, low and reverse, but i shift into high or low and the car dosent shift when i drive, no clunkin noise under the floor boards, does this sound like the solenoid or governor switch? also, what happens when i switch it over to 12v, will the electronics hold up or do i need to put in a 6v converter for those? thanks alot for the help

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why do you want to change to 12 volts? You don't need to. The original system is reliable if maintained.

This site has some original Chrysler info on troubleshooting and repairing the trans.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Transmission/index.htm

First off is it Fluid Drive or Fluid Torque Drive? In either case you can start by checking the oil level in the trans. You do it by removing a pipe plug on the side of the trans, just like a manual trans. It should be full of #10 motor oil. Do not use transmission or gear oil. TDH tractor oil, ISO22 or ISO32 grade, is excellent for the trans and fluid drive. So use that, or 10 motor oil.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Simplest might be a 6/12V battery, which the tap supplies 6V to the 6V components, and the 12V to the 12V starter, generator regulator, boom box. That should work with the least amount of dinking around.:eek: