Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did Dad's ol' 57' Ford Custom 300 go ? Originally from Michigan.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Alright guys,....

I'm looking for Dads car.

This is a Looong shot at best,... But in the thread about "what you learned to drive in",... I made mention of Dads old 1957 Ford that he bought new. Well in 1966 Dad gave it to my Brother, It ended up sitting in storage for another 10 years. In 76' or 77', We pulled a 390/c-6 out of a 67' Ford station wagon and set it in the engine bay of the 57',... My Brother was going to order the engine mounts, and never did.

He ended up selling the car to a guy in Redford Mi. Somewhere around Telegraph and 6 mi. ( If memory serves me correctly) That guy ended up finishing the engine instillation,.. and painted it green.

The car was originally Red & White with a gray cloth interior, from the factory it had a 223 straight 6 with a ford-o-matic. The eyebrows on the front fenders were rotted out, so Dad bought a N.O.S. pair of front fenders and inner fender aprons in 66' from Bob Ford.

That's about all I have,.. I am looking for a 1957 Ford Custom 300,.. that has a 390/C-6,... could be green and from the Redford Mi area from the late 70's to the early 80's. Like I said, it's a long shot,... But ANY help would be appreciated.

This won't be any help,... But this is Dad's 57' in 1961, We were on vacation at Higgins lake Mi. (Good times :))

[​IMG]

2. aircap

aircap

I think that's a '56..... sure ain't no '57.

3. henry29

henry29

I think you might be a little confused, cause that is definitely a 57 300....

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Man,... are you misinformed !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Doodah Doodah, man he's good. He even bagged on himself with his location.

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to make things more confusing, but I don't think that's a custom. I think the side trim makes it a Fairlane. Didn't the 300's have minimal side trim on the rear quarters, Kinda link a '56 Chevy 150?

7. patrod

patrod
    from idaho

If its from michigan maybe the rust gods took it!

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Nope !,..... The Ford "Custom line" is what your talking about, This is indeed a "Custom 300",... Other than my Dads Ive owned 2 of them,..

Here's one that I got from Mississippi, Just before my Dad was diagnosed with cancer 23 years ago, I was going to replicate his old 57' Ford, and give it to him. Half way through the project, We lost Dad,.. couldn't stand to look at it, so I sold it ,... really liked that car,.. but I would really like to find Dad's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a bad day when you don't learn something!:)

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

That might be possible,... But only if it wasn't taken care of after it was built up, and finished in the late 70's. I would assume that somebody would have taken care of it after finishing and painting it,.... But anything is possible.

11. that is a custom 300 a "custom" has just the "hockey stick" trim on the 1/4's the custom 300 has the full length trim like a fairlane 500

my 57 ford is a custom

12. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Check out 1957ford.com

Lots of photos by model number

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Very cool,.... Still looking for Dad's car.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

They Rule.....Good luck!!!!!!!

15. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are some "57 Fords from out in Central California and they are still racing! The ones with the factory special 312 Y blocks are great engines.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,... I was talking to a friend of mind today,... And I told him about this thread,... I really want to try to track down Dad's old Ford,... But my pal told me he had a "Pretty toasty ol' 57' Custom 300",... So I will check it out in a few days.

My sister told me she had a few old boxes of Mom & Dads paperwork,... so I am going to see if there is any paperwork with the VIN # on it.... But how would you track it down from there ????

Still looking for Dad's old 57' Ford. :cool:

*Really appreciate the replys*

17. mortecai

mortecai

Maybe thru the dmv? that is where i'd go if i had the VIN

18. IFABSTUFF

IFABSTUFF

carfax or the michigan 5-0? good luck with the search. My uncle had a 79 F150 bought it new. Hit a tree in 1980, put the hood in my grandparents barn. Couple years ago he had a dream of finding the hood and took a visit to the old farm. Owners let him search the barn and sure shit......it was tucked away in the barn. The hood now hangs in his garage.

19. dont know about michigan but in ohio the dmv used to only keep record back 10 years

20. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just so folks know, here are the trim configurations of the 57 tudor models.
    If you have a friend in law enforcement have them run the serial number. While different states hold records for different lengths (I believe the minimum is 7 years) it really is your best bet.

Attached Files:

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well guy's.....

Please stay on the look out.

22. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Lets try this again......... BUMP

24. Normbc9

Normbc9

The '57 Ford 300 was a popular car out here on the West Coast. Ford had a Racing Specialty shop at their Pico Rivera plant. They featured some racing options that were special order but when tuned and worked over right made some impressions on the quarter mile drag strips. Y block 292's through 332's. Dual quads, Paxton-McCulloch Super Chargers too. Four speeds were really popular as well as a Limited Slip differential. At the Y block Nationals I se many of them still running competitively.
    Normbc9

Attached Files: