Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a Beautiful Roadster (progress pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThirdGen, Jul 4, 2010.

1. beater32

beater32

Are you going to run a welded Pitman Arm??

2. Your project is looking good this is giving me some ideas for mine.

Thanks
    Frenchy

3. saucerhead

saucerhead

I would sure reconsider that pitman arm.

4. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

I have to say what you already know... Great workmanship.

5. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I showed this to my son, he was also impressed!

6. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

update:
    Getting closer. The new rear end is in. The steering is basically buttoned up, I have a few pieces at the machine shop, I should be getting them back by the end of the week. Pedals are figured out, will finish up those and the mounting box after I get the floor and firewall figured out.

Now for some pics:
    [​IMG]
    '46 Ford open drive banjo replacing the '35

[​IMG]
    '46 merc pedal assembly, with modified '35 chevy pedals

[​IMG]
    For those concerned with cutting and welding the pitman arm. It was v-notched, and 100% welded by a professional welder, I trust it.

[​IMG]
    ground down, tried not to get rid of all the imperfections, that way it will look like a stock cast piece.

[​IMG]
    and loosely put together.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. pogona

pogona
    from norway

Awesome build, looking forward to more high quality fabwork :)

8. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

^^^^Thanks. I will hopefully be getting some more work done, that is worth taking pictures, in the next few days.

I haven't posted this in the wanted section yet, but I will be needing some bits and pieces soon. I have been searching hear and there, but haven't had any luck. Maybe some of you guys know of someone or somewhere that might have these parts:

-'37 LaSalle Headlights and taillights
    -'48-51 Ford F1 3 spoke steering wheel, or early ford ,'35-'36? standard, 3 spoke wheel
    -Magneto setup for a 354 Hemi, vertex, mallory, etc. Needs to be pre 1960
    -'42-'46 Ford pickup driveshaft, open drive
    -seats, late '50s british sports cars, military, etc.

Thats all that I can think of at the moment, any leads on any of these parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys and Gals,

- Josh

9. Assume build!! You guys are very talented.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the progress! The stance is insane!

In the picture above I have a couple concerns. It appears you have a bolt running through that square tube to secure your transmission. Does your tube that the bolt passes through extend all the way through the tube? If not, you may want to consider it. Once you tighten down that bolt you'll have a tendency to crush the tube. You know the rest from there. Just checking.

Second concern... I see what appears to be an early Ford transmission behind a Hemi with a 6x2. If you're intending on doing what I think you're intending to do, you may want to consider another transmission option... ;):D

Lookin' bad ass though! Always dig the updates!

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I've been following this one since day one. I'm more impressed everytime I check it out.

I'm definitely going to agree with Scott on the transmission. That Hemi will shell the teeth off the Ford transmission instantly... They are marginal behind a souped up Flathead.

The other issue that seems to be a concern, is not. Welded pitman arms have been used forever. It's a forged steel piece. With the correct bevel and weld penetration, it's as strong as new.

Ok, back to the original programming.... :D

12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

This is looking smart

13. Firecat7

Firecat7

VERY KOOL...next time on the radius tubing(gawd awful amount of work)try "boyce industries" they bend tubing. in the midwest ...ILL.OR INDY.great job tho for a homebuild.:D

14. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

Great looking work... Your doing a nice Job on this build..Thanks for sharing..

15. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

scootermcrad- Concerning the trans. brace, The round stock does go throughout, there is also a small amount sticking past for the head of the bolt to rest upon. This would be the only way to put torque on the bolt with out crushing the square stock, like you stated. I should have put up some build pics of this piece ( as well as others).
    Now, with the early Ford trans., which was also a concern of OoltewahSpeedShop, It prob wont last, I am anticipating this, but I am sticking to a theme and time period, and doing some research this is all you see that was being done, pre-1960. So that is the reasoning behind that, and it will stay as that pairing till i get sick of replacing 'em! hahaha

Thanks for the comments, concerns and constructive criticism!

claymore - Thats an idea, but the reason for the bolts through the bottom is that i will be having a one piece floor board (as of now), so to be able to take the trans. out (for reasons also brought up haha) i can without fuss, or without taking the body off.

OoltewahSpeedShop - Thanks for backing me up on the welded pitman arm.

Thanks to all for the rest of the great comments!

More pics coming this weekend.

-Josh

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool man! I should have known! HAHA! :eek: Keep going!!! Lovin' it!

17. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'd be looking for a '37 LaSalle transmission to go behind the Hemi. That's what I have in my roadster and it's plenty strong. Mine even has the Ford tail section, so you could keep your crossmember.

Attached Files:

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I was thinking the same thing. That Hemi needs something sturdier and a LaSalle transmission would do it and still be period correct for 1960.

I've decided that if I break too many early Ford transmission cases then I'm jumping on the LaSalle bandwagon.

19. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

OoltewahSpeedShop- I like that! I am agreeing with TexasSpeed on this one. I will keep the 3 speed fords till i get sick of replacing them and can afford a LaSalle Swap. It will match way better too, since this is a "LaSalle Roadster"!

20. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Looking good!

21. magneto57

magneto57

CoooooooooL........!!

22. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I like this idea, I will make not of it, since you are so adamant that I do not loose these bolts! HaHaHa

23. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Wild build man! Very cool. Great style and amazing craftsmanship.

24. linkstar69

linkstar69

Another idea for the nuts on the tranny mount would be to weld them to a kind of C shaped brace between the two nuts going over the trans, that would stop them vibrating loose and make them easier to position once the floors back in if you do end up needing to pull the trans too.
    I'm not explaining what I mean very well so if further clarification is needed let me know.

25. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

^^^ Yea I get what your saying, and it makes sense. I will keep this in mind, and add it to the list of things to "Finish".

Thanks for the ideas and comments, keep 'em coming!

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Pitman arms for Fords, and probably all other cars, were not cast, they were forged.

27. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

^^^Very true. Not sure why I stated: "I wanted to make it look like an original cast piece", I purely meant original. I stand corrected.

Well I didn't get much done this weekend. Maybe next......

28. pregrid

pregrid

Wow, just found this thread. Sub'd for sure. I love where this is goin!

29. Super cool build!

30. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

This is the shot that speaks to me. This is going to be an awesome looking car man.