Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flat Ernie or other T5 gurus PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Berky, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Berky

Berky

So my clutch guy screwed around for 2 months until he found a disc and pressure plate that would work. I got it home today and it hits the steel 8BA truck adaptor. Im so frustrated at this point because I want to put my engine in the car today.

I have a 8BA with the steel truck adaptor and an old Offy adaptor that use the stock GM type throwout bearing. Does anyone have an off the shelf clutch and disc that I can get that will work?

BTW I did a search and everything I found uses a Ford throwout bearing.

2. Berky

Berky

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

3. Trying to see from picture almost looks like the wrong bell housing on the engine. I have an 8BA with the cast bellhousing to an offy piece to a T5. Have run with same style clutch without any issues. What year is your 8BA?

4. Berky

Berky

It is from a 49-53 Ford with the steel truck adaptor. This allows me to use the Speedway style T5 adaptor.

5. Berky

Berky

Heres a better view of the truck housing.

Attached Files:

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

How big is your clutch? Is it 11"?

7. Berky

Berky

Yes, the bolt patern for the flywheel was 11" so thats the setup I went with. Do I have to use a 10" with this setup?

8. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yes.

9. Fenders

Fenders

Time to become your own "clutch guy."

10. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I think you need a new clutch guy, The steel bell housing that you have is not truck but Mercury car, it should measure around 14.5" ID on the block side. The issue is with the 11" truck size pressure plate. To use that big pressure plate requires a truck cast bell housing, these measure around 14.75" ID. Your options are to find a cast bell housing or redrill the 11" flywheel to fit a 10" pressure plate and clutch disc to fit your stamped bell housing.

11. BRENT

BRENT

I just used a S10 clutch think it was 9.5"or 9.25" diameter if I remember. Works great no problems. Made my own adapter plate, used the stock 49 bell housing, stock pressure plate and fork, stock throw-out bearing, had to make my own throw-out bearing carrier, that rides on the t5 input shaft.

Brent

12. reefer

reefer

check out Cornhuskers product...they seem to do a complete kit that has all the bugs worked out, and I believe ,make their own clutch disc that clears the bolt heads.I bought one after a lot of digging around for info on the i`net...never got around to fitting it as I sold the project off piecemeal.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'd ditch the 11" clutch - redrill your flywheel for a 10" or even a 9.5". The 11" clutch assembly is very heavy and will act like a heavy flywheel. It's also got heavy spring pressures, so your left leg gets a workout...completely unnecessary for a car.

14. Ole don

Ole don

I had an 8 BA, steel passenger bell housing, and a home made one inch adaptor. I used an old ten inch clutch cover that I cleaned up, and a 9 3/4 disc from an old S 10. It worked great.

15. jimvette59

jimvette59

Sorry BERKY, ditch that bellhousing and get the correct 8BA bellhousing.

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'd ditch the pressure plate/clutch myself - I prefer the stamped steel ring - it's lighter. The 11" clutch is too heavy - even for a big car...I'd either get another flywheel already drilled for the 10" clutch, or have my flywheel redrilled.