Register now to get rid of these ads!

Under dash brake pedal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53floored, Mar 31, 2012.

1. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

Ok guys I have a 53 f100 and im doing up the brakes here soon Its a front disc solid axle conversion with camaro brakes. I took the master cylinder and proportioning valve off my parts s10 because no sense in throwing away good stuff. Ive heard that its not ideal to have the master cylinder below the brakes and it gets air in the lines... I have a template to mount it under the cab If i can... but I found the kit to mount under the dash because Its not going on the firewall because they were never there originally and I think they stick out on an otherwise clean firewall. Anybody have exp with this setup?

2. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Try either Wilwood for a setup or a late model mustang. The other one that works great for clutch and brake assembly in a nice package is Geo Metro

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Older Dodge (I think?) vans had this setup. Mounts sideways with a beefy bellcrank.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you are talking about the 90 degree one from Kugel Komponents, yes, we have used them and like the way they work. My Son has one in his rpu and I also have one that I will be using in my project rpu. They are slick as hell.

You will have to fabricate some reinforcement to bolt to the firewall because there is a lot of strain on a mc assembly when you are pushing hard on the pedal, and we also tied it into the dash for more support. The other obstacle is that you need a way to access the mc to fill and check fluid level, but KK sells a remote reservour setup. We weren't able to use that because it needs to be higher than the mc and his model a didn't afford that space, so he put in a cowl vent that he can look down through.

They are a neat setup and work great.

[​IMG]

Don

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

well I am thinking about running the blazer rearend I have since its already a 5 on 4 3/4 I just have to remove it from the blazer since the track width is about 60 inches backing plate to backing plate .... I towed the blazer across town and the brakes were more than plenty strong to slow down so the master cylinder im not worried about and I can grab a different proportioning valve if this one doesnt work right I was just thinking if I used the same master prop valve and rearend then they should work regardless of what vehicle since its not controlled by a comp... but it sounds like I just have to mount it all to the frame and Ill be good....

7. mdapperdan

mdapperdan
    from Az.

I second the Dodge van set-up along with the sterring colum. Stay away from any brake system under the dash My $.02