Register now to get rid of these ads!

well shes home and leaing already 48 chevy sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Mar 31, 2012.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

of course i was told she didnt leak at all. the pool under the car in my driveway after 5 mins of running her proves otherwise. the pool is at the front of the engine and does not seem to be coming from any rad hoses or the radiator itself.

i am hoping its a freeze plug at the front andnot something more serious. anything i should look into or check in addition to the plug? car runs and sounds good otherwise. even on the tow transporter on the 60 mile drive home it leaked.

2. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Knowing the body style is nice, but what engine is in it?? Sounds like water since you are concerned about freeze plugs. Try water pump shaft seal. Leaks from there can hide pretty well.

3. neverwinter

neverwinter

ah sorry that was dumb of me! it is a 48 with the original 216 in it. sorry for that serious lack of info.

ill take a look at that as well. thank you very much.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I didn't know if "leaing" meant leaking or leaving. Now I know.
    Let's hope it's water pump. It's a wear item anyway.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I just opened this thread just to see what "leaing" was........LOL

6. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

Me too. :) Then I saw it was 'leaking'. Then I saw it was a '48. Figured the leak was oil. In high school, the teacher suggested students offer their car for our trip to regional debate. Maybe the riders would pay for the gas, she said. Joe said he would take his Chevy and buy the gas if his riders would pay for the oil.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

48 Chevys have been noted for leaking both. At least the one out in the driveway was.

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I bought a 47 Chevy woody once to be a beater. I was going to drive it to Columbus for the 78 Nats. I got it all tuned up and when I filled it with water it started to piss on the garage floor. I had to pull the side cover off of the engine to find the crack in the block behind the push rods. Needless to say I drove a 76 Chevy P/U to Columbus.

When I came back, I swapped in another used 216 and drove the crap out of it.