Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smithy's or Cherry Bomb? Inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Mar 27, 2012.

1. slammed

slammed

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Reading the replies and listening to those videos (thanks for posting them!), some additional information might help lock down the best recommendation.

Both motors I am talking about idle at about 500 rpm and normal driving for them is in the 1000 rpm to 1500 rpm range. IOW, normal shifting is at 1500 and then the revs drop to 1000. Cruising on the highway is in the 1500 rpm vicinity. Once in a great while I 'get on them', such as it is, and then I see maybe 2000 to 2500 rpm before shifting.

I would like that deep, motorboat burble.

In the above videos, the cherry bombs sounded too sharp and raspy in terms of what I was looking for. The Buick 8 with the Smithy's sounded better, but was not quite as mellow as I thought it would be - does it not matter which way you install Smithys? Maybe he had them forwards, and I would need them backwards, or vice versa. It was also making me nervous watching his alternator dance around like that. Otherwise, nive car, as was the Chevy with the Cherry Bombs.

Will the Porters give me the mellow, low-frequency burble I want? Or a turned-around Smithy? Should the Cherry Bombs have sounded lower? What say ye?

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. slammed

slammed

5. slammed

slammed

6. Road Runner

Road Runner

What's your exhaust pipe diameter?
    I had both Brockmans and Smithy's mufflers at 12, 17 and 22 inch length for years, but never really got used to the splatty sound from the louvers.
    Turning them around makes it worse.

I ended up getting Porters at 14" length but using the larger 4" outer and 2" inner diameter version but with 2" ends to fit my pipe.
    (They make custom versions for the same price).
    Sounded very deep and round without harshness.

With only one exhaust pipe, you have a naturally smoother and softer sound, so you don't get the rap like with duals anyway.

Over 20" length muffler will be very mellow and a shorter muffler will be louder, especially at higher rpm or when you step on it.

7. CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST

CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST
    from LOUDON, TN

CHERRYBOMB glass packs come in a 33 different sizes and configurations, so you can make your inline 6 as quiet or as loud as you want it. Also has anyone checked out our NEW "Traditional Hot Rod Muffler". No glass to burn out, louvered internal tube design and retro look. This muffler gives a deeper tone than our normal glass pack. Available in 2-1/4"(87885) and soon released in 2"(87886). You can click on our ad on the Jalopy Journal home page to view them at CHERRYBOMB.com

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just for the record, I just bought a Cherry Bomb muffler this afternoon and it says right on the box "Made in America"... It's going on the girlfriends Falcon wagon with a staight six.

9. scotsmerc64

scotsmerc64

263 straight 8, single carb, single exhaust with one 2 inch Cherrybomb at the rear axle. Sound like a ww2 fighter plane. Badass.

10. porters all the way .........

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There was a guy outside my work just a few minutes ago with a v-6 Astro van with a cherry bomb on it...

12. cederholm

cederholm

Hey Cherry Bomb guy - how about becoming an HAMB aligance vendor?

13. 3onthetree

3onthetree

I can only speak for Smithy's as I have a pair on my Chevy 250 six. I have Langdons cast iron headers and dual Smithy's which merge into a single 2 1/2" tailpipe. It has a nice mellow rumble at idle and a deep rumble when accelerating, yet not offensive. During cruise, it's so quiet inside I can whisper to my passenger. It doesn't have that high pitched buzz, but a deeper tone, yet not quite a V8 sound. Kinda reminds me of an old Jaguar.

14. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I had a temporary 2" straight pipe on my Chevy 250 six that exited right under the driverside door. Other than the fumes, the noise was tolerable, and it had a wild rap rap rap when you revved it. Now I've got a homebuilt muffler made out of a industrial A/C canister with a turn down on it. Deeper but quieter.

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Depends,...How well you and neighbors get along....... Cherry bombs are for loud....My 40 with flatmotor is running Smithys....

4TTRUK

16. CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST

CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST
    from LOUDON, TN

40 Ford Guy just FYI we offer 33 different types of glass pack from Loud to Mild and also 6 different types of mufflers. We are not just loud and proud anymore.

Cedarholm CHERRYBOMB is not a alliance vendor because we do not sell direct. I guess we could offer our apparel direct and become an alliance vendor but that is another discussion.

17. cederholm

cederholm

Fair enough! Good that you're a participating member helping with questions about your products. ....and you could always become an alliance MEMBER.:D

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

definately brockmans. very nice sound and many choices available. seems not a whole lot of people know about them

19. Taff

Taff

fentons and cherry bombs sounded devine on my 235 s/six

20. 64-4door

64-4door
    from Minnesota

I had Smithy's on my stock 230 inline (64 belair) bolted (not welded) in replace of the stock muffler. It was quiet enough at idle and had a good rumble through the gears. It was very tolerable.

With that said, I got bored of it and ran open exhaust for a few months. I just unbolted the Smithy where it met the downpipe and let her scream. That was super loud at idle and offensive going through the rpms. Defintely wont do that again.

Last summer I ran with a straight pipe setup and that was fun. Low enough at idle, but sounded a lot like a truck with big 3" exhaust going through the rpms.

Now I have a 250 and I'm debating on exhaust setups.

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

It looks like I have 2" pipes on these two vehicles. The Porters have gotten good recommendations, but it looks like the muffler I need would cost north of $129. That's too much for my budget. Maybe Cherrybombs are the way to go - gotta find out what they would cost.

Hey Cherry Bomb Guy - You've gotten a lot of good press on this thread; as the OP, can you make me a deal?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  22. JasonHehn

JasonHehn

I have Smithys on my flathead and love them. My buddy just put Cherry Bombs on his V8 powered RPU and they sound stupid. Like a Texas farm truck......Lame

23. 61 Tx Cat

61 Tx Cat

Porters on my ride when I win the lottery!!

24. CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST

CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST
    from LOUDON, TN

You can purchase CHERRY BOMB from 3 alliance vendors who just started carrying our products. Minnesota Hot Rod Hardware, The NightProwlers, or Honest Charley Speed Shop. If you need help with part numbers do not hesitate to ask.

25. CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST

CHERRYBOMB EXHAUST
    from LOUDON, TN

You can purchase CHERRYBOMB from Minnesota Hot Rod Hardware, The NIGHT PROWLERS, and Honest Charley Speed Shop who are all alliance vendors and offer a great alliance discount! We cannot do anything because we do not sell direct, but if you have tech questions or need parts don't hesitate to send me a message.

26. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I have to say on an inline, straight pipes baby! I'm rockin' it on my 216 I6 in my 53 and it Sounds Badass! I've heard porters are good also though, but i just wanted to be LOUD! haha surprisingly it's not too loud though, you can let off and at idle she's pretty quiet. It has a cool old Bomber Plane sound to it with straight pipes which i think is pretty neat and when you get on it, it has a great Brap sound, the back pressure is great sounding too!

27. Model T1

Model T1

When living in central Illinois we could pick up Cherrybombs at several automotive stores. The others cost more and had to be shipped. I even have Cherrybombs on my late model Dodge hemi truck. You can buy different lengths and different sounds. Still got two on my 39 Ford from years ago, May be rusted out by now.
    Small towns here have cops with big ears so have to keep fairly quiet.

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

coils and louvers create turbulence which increases back pressure. Mufflers like Cherry Bombs are perforated which decreases back pressure. On my Cherry bomb muffler, half the tube is perforated and the other half is solid, no holes.

29. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

I have always prefered the deep mellow tone of the Cherry Bomb mufflers. (just my opinion)

30. porters are sexy ... i get mad chicks cuz of my porters ... great sound and and even better looking ... i know .. who looks under car you ask ... people with porters do !!!!!