Register now to get rid of these ads!

I never really believed that "barn finds" happened as frequently as they seem to...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Mar 25, 2012.

1. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Thank god you saved that 53 from being, those two words that are forbidden. Great score man! $600.00 for a solid 53, can't ask for more!

2. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Just getting the car in the condition it's in for 600 magic beans would've been a score, in my opinion. The clear NC title and the time I'm going to get to spend with my boy are the patina on the cake.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Could REALLY use a driver side window for a 53/54 Chevy 150/210/BelAir 4-door is anyone has one they would like to part with... The rest of the glass is, well, it'll keep out the rain even if it isn't perfect, but the driver side from window is split top to bottom. Still looking for a 6V starter for a 53/54 235, as well as a water pump.

4. Cub8556

Cub8556

Kanter has water pumps but they are a little pricey.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Water pumps are pretty easy to get, got one recently from my regular parts store. Not a problem. OR order from Rock Auto.

Glass, local glass guy should be able to cut you one with no issues either. I have it done all the time.

Starter should be able to be rebuilt locally by someone like Russell Generator Alternator or the like.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Russell Generator... is that the one everyone keeps telling me is on N. Tryon St. somewhere near the BoJangles? I've looked for it but can't find it.

Any recommendations for the glass?

TRYING to have the car on the road in time for Auto Fair. Anyone else going?

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah, 2325 N Tryon St # C

Maybe the Iron Lords can give you a rec on the glass, I'm not as familiar with the stuff in Charlotte.

8. I don't have any refferences on glass but for electrical rebuilds we all use Jerry McCall

704-425-2449

He is located in Concord and is very reasonable and honest.

BloodyKnuckles

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Thanks for that! I'll give him a shout tomorrow. I would think something like this would be either A) easy to rebuild or B) easy to find on someone who rebuilds starter's shelf. BTW, just curious, are y'all out of Concord up there on Church Street? Couple buddies been telling me I should stop in up there and say hi, if for nothing more than to check out some nice rides and meet like-minded individuals.

10. That's us. Swing by any Wednesday night. That's our shop night. We are also having our annual Swap City Shindig, April 21, Saturday of the Autofair. We are having BBQ, a band and a bunch of cars. Swing by anytime after 5.

BloodyKnuckles

11. S.F.

S.F.

what he said...although those wheels pictured are from the early 80's. Not really period correct for the 60's or earlier, unless your going for an early 80's look, nothin wrong with that...just depends on what style you are going for.

12. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Good find nonetheless

13. S.F.

S.F.

picture from Van magazine 1980 with those wheels:D

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      64.5 KB
      Views:
  14. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I understand what it is everyone is saying, I've got personal reasons for wanting to put those wheels on the 53. And I've gotta disagree with you on the period, since the car those wheels came off of has been sitting in the same place since at least the 70s. The salvage yard owner wasn't even aware it was there...

I'll put them on, and if they are met with hate and discontent, I'll seek out other options. Fair enough? Like I said in an earlier post... This is EVERYONE's build. I want EVERYONE to be a part of it. Yes, technically it is MY car, and there may be a few things I'm going to have to say "Well, fuck you if you don't like it..." about, but I think I've shown thus far that I can be swayed. Case in point; Satin black has gone into the hopper as far as the paint scheme, and "patinaed and preserved" is in. Y'ALL decided that, and I'm game. So keep the ideas coming!

On a side-note, came upon a real nice drop-spindle I-beam front axle on a 58 Apache this morning... Leaf springs were in real nice condition, too... Made the gears in my head start turning.

15. S.F.

S.F.

Dont get me wrong, im not knocking your wheel choice, but they are 80's wheels....here's Similer wheels, with the spokes alittle farther apart and painted red.....sorry I couldnt help myself but I knew I had seen wheels like that somewhere:D:rolleyes:......the general lee had wheels pretty similar too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  16. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Oh, I don't doubt for a moment that turbines/cyclones were used up until and straight on through the 80s. But these are Fentons... and if I'm not mistaken, Fenton wasn't even making wheels in the 80s.

17. S.F.

S.F.

I was meaning 80's style....I just have seen alot of cars modified, and pictures of cars/movies/magazines from the 80's with wheels like that on it. Im not putting your choice down, its your car. Im just saying its not a 60's or earlier look

18. Sixty-two

Sixty-two

Congrats on the car! It's been an entertaining thread. :)

These finds exist, I recently bought this '57 Bel Air 4dr hardtop.
    It has no motor or trans, but is otherwise complete in boxes. One of those right place, right time moments.

[​IMG]

The old guy who owned it had given up on his dreams of restoring it and let it go, with title too.

I'm keen to see what you do with yours.
    From one FNG to another, good luck!

19. Looks goodfrom here........

20. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Hi everyone! Still working on the new 53. Had a few hours today, so I decided to throw more new parts at it in hopes that one of 'em would make it start...

So here's where I'm at. I removed the starter and took it to Russel Generator on N. Tryon to have it rebuilt. For sixty-five bucks, what the hell, right? In the meantime, I decided to give a go of the starter that was in the back seat of the car when I bought it. It only takes a minute to pop one in, so I figured I may as well as long as I was waiting on the rebuilt one anyhow. Hooked the battery up to the charger just to get it back up to where it should be, pulled the plugs, and sure enough the engine turned over nice and smooth. So, the starter in the back seat was good (enough) after all.

Popped the plugs back in and shot a little starter fluid into the carb, turned the key, and it just turned. No vroom. So I checked to see that there was power going to the coil, nothing wrong there. Checked the points, all good. (Actually looked like a new setup installed before I bought the car!) Checked to see if I was getting anything FROM the coil to the distributor... nothing. Nada. Nil.

I was only joking when I told the guy behind the counter at NAPA that I needed a 6V RACING coil (just love irony, lol). A few minutes later the joke was on me when he said, "Well, it's sort of a racing coil after all... listed as the correct coil for a Corvette." OK ok, I know it isn't exactly a racing coil, but I still thought it was pretty funny.

Put in the new coil, turned the key, again no spark from the coil. At this point I'm thinking it is probably a bad condenser in the distributor, so that'll be the next part I throw at the engine on Thursday. Any other suggestions as to why I'm not getting any spark are welcome!

Installed the new tail light lenses, and the car is titled, registered, and insured. I hate wasting money, so now I HAVE to get the thing running and road-worthy. Once she runs, it's on to the brakes, and then the lights. Still hoping to have it rolling under its own power (and stopping... that would be good) by the time Autofair hits!

Have also purchased new Thrush welded muffler, 3" lowering block kit for the rear, and a plethora of other little goodies.

21. norville

norville

Do you have 6v going to the coil? Are the points actually opening and closing?? (I had this happen to me , the rubbing block was worn down from lack of lube)

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Yup! All appeared to be good going TO the coil, and everything internal to the distributor was working as it should. Like I said, it looks like someone threw a new points setup (and plugs, wires, carburetor, etc.) under the hood before I bought it. I'm seeing no reason why it shouldn't fire at this point. Really the only thing that's left is the condenser! What kind of lube would you recommend on the points block, just for good measure?

23. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

24. Do what you want.Its better than crushing them.

25. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

AMEN, brother.

26. cryobug

cryobug

Check out ChrisBlattie in H.A.M.B. O'Dex for your glass, he done mine better and cheaper than I could get it locally freight and all

27. GM Mad NZ

GM Mad NZ

Have you tried to clean your points with a small points file or something. After sitting around the points tend to glaze up and although they are closing they may not be passing current. I love your find....

28. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Gave him a call! Thanks! Trying to see if I can afford to get all new side windows rather than just the one broken one, since shipping would be the same for one or six. This was an "unexpected" project, so I'm trying to adhere to a real strict budget to get it road-worthy. But it makes more sense to me to get 'em all done at the same time rather than piece by piece. Just need to find the cash-ola.

29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'll give that a shot. Can't hurt anything, right? I'm going to replace the condenser anyway. They're inexpensive enough that it won't break the bank, and it'll give me a peace of mind that it isn't the problem if the engine still won't fire. I'm not usually one to throw parts at an engine until it runs, and would rather troubleshoot first, but in the case of this car, I have no idea how long it has been since it last ran and almost everything else had been replaced with new before I bought it. I figure, I may as well finish the replacement of all the little stuff that hasn't been already.

T-minus 1 week, 2 days 'til Autofair...

30. norville

norville

They sell points grease, but I've used dielectric grease, axle grease I'm not an expert but I figured anything was better that the nothing that was on my rubbing block..

and my favorite is that pertronics grease...