Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Some progress on my Essex.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boyd Who, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I haven't been updating my build lately so I thought I'd toss up a few pics of where my project is at today. I wasn't spending as much time as I'd like in the shop this past winter so now I have to get my ass in gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

needs taller bias ply tires...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Back tire is just a 205/75/14 roller. I plan to run 235/75/15's on it.
    Bias plys would be nice, but damn near impossible to get around here. Plans are to drive the wheels off this thing when it's done.

4. Canuck

Canuck

Lookin good Al

Canuck

5. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

It's going to be a great-looking truck.

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn! Looks like you have been pretty busy to me!! What a change, looks great!

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i agree with larry... bias tires are needed on this one...

corky coker is just a phone call or a mouse click away... bias tires are not hard to get

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Nice stance, good looking truck.
    What are the headlights? They look like rubber ringed sealed beams in a reproduction housing.

9. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks guys! I'm starting to get quite excited about the way this is turning out. I still have to figure out a new box for the back, but I have some ideas I'm kicking around.

If I can afford to do it, I'll get a second set of wheels custom made for the truck and run bias on them for local events. Long distance driving I'd swap back to radials. I have a fear of blowing a tire in the middle of nowhere and being stuck waiting for a replacement.

50 'Burb...the headlights are stock '30 Chevy buckets with early aftermarket seal-beam adapter rings. I'm thinking of changing them to something smaller. The cab and hood top are the only Essex pieces on the truck, everything else is 1930 Chevy.

10. Great work so far, Al.

11. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Nice! Bonneville 2012?

12. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I wish, Chris! Last time I was there was in '02. I'd really like to see the new N49 car run. There's a chance it might be ready for the summer of 2013, though. Too much spare time, not enough spare $$ to put into it so I'm taking my time.

13. ratster

ratster

looks good bro..

14. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thank you, kind sir! :)

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It is a cute lil' thing ain't it?

16. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Looking Real Nice....

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I just realized I forgot to put a smiley face on my post, and after reading it again...it makes me sound like a know-it-all...well, actually, I am, but...

shutup Larry...:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Naw, it's ok. Id still buy you a drink if I ever ran into you at an event. :)

Another thing I consider regarding bias-plies...we have some of the crappiest roads in the country here. The province puts very little into maintaining them and it's often tough to drive on them in a "normal" car, let alone a hotrod. :mad:

19. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I feel your pain with the lack of coin........we have a second little stink on the way this fall..........Looks like Henry J will be a big brother.....were going to the salt this year and definitely as a complete family in 2013...........I used to laugh when my car buddies would say that "kids change everything" and now I quote them

20. I like how your doing the exhaust keep at it!

21. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Work on the truck will be slowing down considerably for the next while. My wife is battling cancer and things like the hotrod don't seem quite so important right now. I'll still be doing minor stuff that doesn't cost any money, but parts purchases will have to wait.

22. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Not much to report, but here's a pic from yesterday as it currently sits...
    [​IMG]

23. Roger53

Roger53

I hope the best for wife and your self. Your truck is a very cool lookng ride .If I may use it for times when need some get way time so to speak. The best to yours and my prayers. Roger

24. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I realy like this truck.... I have a 29 Essex 4 door with the extra glass on the side. I wanted to make a extended cab truck out of it.... One day maybe.

25. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks guys.

I'm starting to spend a little more time out in the shop piddling away at things. It's a great way to get my mind off the situation for a short while. I just have to watch what I spend on it right now. I've manage to scrape up enough money to order the wheels & tires I wanted. The aluminum slots on it in the picture are the old ones.

26. Sorry to read about your wife, and i hope it turns out ok for you all.
    Trucks looking great. They can be a good distraction sometimes.
    The new wheels sound cool.

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

So what is the new wheel choice are we allowed to know! I still like the slots on it too!

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks Jeff. Time in the shop is good for both of us. Sometimes she needs some "alone" time too.

Nothing too special, just some Series 62 OEM steel wheels. 15 x 6 for the front and 15 x 7 for the rear. Both sets will be reversed so I can get a 2 1/4" backspace. They'll be painted shiny black and I'll run trim rings and chrome lug nuts for a bit of splash. Tires will be 205/75/R15 front, and 235/75/R15 rear...blackwalls.

29. bct

bct

keep up the good work Al. all the best from us to you two!

30. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thank you!
    Will you be coming to Red Deer for the Super Run in August? Karen and I will be there on SAturday to look around and visit.