Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost my dad. My best friend, my hero.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Thank you for all the kind words. Dads casket is getting pinstriped tomorrow. My brother called me today and told me something I didn't realize- he died on March 27 (3-27). I can't think of a more appropriate hot rod related date than 327!

2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Sorry for your loss brother...

3. S.F.

S.F.

Sorry for your loss, lost my grandpa at 65 years old in 1991.....still think about him alot

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad . I lost mine 30 years ago at the age of 52 . I was talking with him at a store and I said I will meet you home . That never happened .
    Sounds like he was a great man and lived his life to the fullest .
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family .

Retro Jim

5. Angliaman

Angliaman
    from Forney, Tx

327....Neat! Sorry for your loss, think of him every time your hear 327.....and grin. Lost mine in 88 and still think of him most every day.

6. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

BigMac,

No one can understand unless they have experienced this loss themselves. Unfortunately I too feel your pain every day. My dad passed away unexpectedly in 2001 due to a botched stint procedure after a mild heart attack. He was 56 years old and died way too young. Our parents split up while my older sister, younger brother and I were still in elementary school. Due to the fact there was only 3.5 years between us kids, we grew up very close and I was blessed to have them & my dad in my life. I spoke to my dad every single day...sometimes up to a couple of hours a day. He got me hooked on old cars as a toddler and I still drive his '34 Tudor as often as I can. In fact the license plate and my username on this site are one in the same...DADZ34. His loss has been extremely difficult to adjust to and I wish you God's speed. I simply know of no words which will help other than you are not alone and there has to be more to life than to end with a slow ride in a hearse.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1333164020.091375.jpg
    My dad on the right, my sister and younger brother then myself on the left.

Just two weeks ago, we lost my older sister to a Glioblastoma (inoperable brain tumor). She was just 46 and fought heroically for 13 months. Brain tumors are merciless and unimaginable to comprehend until you have watched a loved one fight for their life. My condolences for your loss as I know too well the long nights and never-ending stays at the hospital only to be left alone trying to cope with the emptiness when your loved one passes.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1333164455.094188.jpg
    My sister Kecia

I wish you peace knowing you will hold your father's hand once again. Peace be with you.

7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I'm very sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you and your family.

8. racer756

racer756

Godspeed Dad.

9. Ricci32

Ricci32

Hey big mac my dads ashes are in a marble box that
    my friend pinstriped i think they both would have loved it .

10. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Dads casket. Safe to say he's happy and at home in this thing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"327" is the day he died (March 27).

[​IMG]

Huge thanks to Andy Kawahara, Matt and Josh Wood, and a couple real good local UT HAMBers for setting things up for me. I'm super proud to send dad off in style.

11. Awesome coffin. Im sure hed love the sentiment.

I lost my old man 3 years back at just 58. Its taken me this long to just start to truly feel it. Now im going to finish his 66 volvo wagon into the sedan delivery he wanted.

We have to keep those we lost in our hearts, trying not to dwell on the sadness. But recall all the happy moments.

My condolences.

12. dhigdon

dhigdon

Sorry for your loss. I understand your pain. Lost my Dad and best friend in 1993 to a heart attack while we were drag racing at the track. He died at the end of a run in the drivers seat. He was the young age of 48. Time does make it easier.

13. 510madmav

510madmav

Can't Imagine, And I regret the day myself. Sorry for your loss.

14. hallrods

hallrods

I can't imagine what you are going through. My father is 69 years old and he is my best friend. We go to swap meets,carshows and cruises together. I would be lost without him. God bless you and your family.

15. 343w

343w

Just remember, the only thing we take from this world to the next is our relationships, I can tell yours with your Dad is one of the greatest. It is also nice that you understand, "you will see him again one day." I lost my dad back in 1999, and I too will be with him again one day in the heavens. Praise The Lord for that promise!

16. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Sorry for your loss

17. swbatt

swbatt

Very tough news Mac, and I am sorry to hear it.

Do what you can to keep his memory alive, hopefully it will hurt less each day. You will be together with him again one day. The photo of Dad in his 55 is tops, thanks for showing it to us and telling us about him.
    Junior

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to see that. I lost my dad 9 years ago and still miss being able to have him involved in my car fun.

19. couverkid

couverkid

Sorry to hear that,just be thankful for the good memories.

20. mano

mano

Mac I am very sorry to hear about loss of your Dad. It sounds like he was a great guy. Take care man.

21. I am so sorry to hear, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

22. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Sorry for your loss. It gets better as time goes by but he still will be a part of you thats missing. I lost my Dad to cancer back in 1981 and there are still so many times I wished he was around. (He started me on the car hobby as well.)

For others who still have their Dads; treasure every moment you can.

23. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I know your pain. I lost my best friend, buddy, Dad when I was sixteen, forty-two years ago. Rare is the day that I don't think about him and the short but good times I had with him. God knew we would hurt at the loss of loved ones, so he gave us memories so that they would remain in our hearts even when gone from our sight. God bless you in your loss.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel what your feeling too, nearly every day. I spent the last 20yrs almost daily with him in buisness and in our mutual hobbies. I have pictures and things that are just Dear ol Dad around me in the home shop. It takes a while, but there's way more smiles than tears these days. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

25. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

sorry for your los man hold strong

26. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Prayers to you and your family.

27. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Damn man,thats how mine went exactly almost 6 years ago. I am truly sorry for your loss and always remember the good times and what he taught you in life! :(

28. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Love the coffin idea. I am a carpenter and the local Funeral Parlor said I can buid my own f I like. This is my second post on this thread my dad is long gone now and I think of him daily for the the last 40 years.

29. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Well, since I posted this thread when dad passed away, I've done two things I was dreading because I've NEVER done them without my dad:

1) LA Roadster Show
    2) Bonneville Speedweek

I've been going to LARS with my pops since I was about 5 years old. That place is just "him". Every corner I turned I saw him there in his levi's and white hot rod shirt tucked in. Why do all you old hot rodders have to dress the same! lol.... Dads headstone has a blank space in the center with holes that are lined up for a license plate. He get's a new LARS plate every year to keep adding to his collection. New one goes on, old one comes off and goes on the wall in the garage with the rest of them.

Bonneville was the same. Thought I saw him at the Nugget, thought I saw him at the starting line, thought I saw him in my car at one time...

Things are going fine, but I miss him like mad. I have to say, the hot rod community is the best. Great friends everywhere I go that are ready to cheer me up and keep me going without any hesitation. Saw tons of friends at LARS, got involved in some HAMB shenanigan's at Speedweek, and it made those two events MUCH more enjoyable than I was expecting.

Now my wife's dad has been diagnosed, and we're starting all over again. It's like someone hit rewind. I can't believe this stuff. This time I feel a little more prepared, but it's not gonna be easy.

30. We are here for you Mac. You made our weekend on the Salt, Thanks. Now take time to go grill something with Landon!