Register now to get rid of these ads!

How are you treated by cops in your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfin, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carl4675

carl4675
    from Conroe, TX

I have made my living as a police officer here in Texas for over 25 years. I can tell you like any profession, there are good and bad. I have been stopped in my hot rod many...many times enroute to different shows. At the NSRA show in OK City I was stopped in IH-44 for speeding....enroute to the NSRA show in Springfield, Mo. again I was stopped for speeding. Going around the loop in KC, Kansas at the GG's show I was running about 90 MPH, the police sitting in the comedian running radar....didn't even look at me....maybe I caught him in between donuts, who knows. All of my stops were positive. I got stopped this week in fact....the officer never even mentiond why he stopped me....of course I knew, I was speeding. Good and bad dudes.....
    Hey let's skin that thang back and make it go fast...

2. Actually, usually pretty cool. I've gotten away with stuff I shouldn't have because I was in my 55. I blew past a cop sitting under an overpass doing about 70 in a 50, and he didn't even turn his head. My car is pretty loud, so I KNOW he heard me coming.

I've had a local Sheriff pull into one of our hang out spots to check my car out, and tell me about the 70 Camaro he was building. I've been out at 2am on Historic plates and had cops behind me, but no static.

I got stopped in a DUI checkpoint in the local college town, and these cops in this town are NOTORIOUS for being ball busters, but the guy who stuck his head in my car said "I know you're not drinking and driving in this, have a nice evening."

When I was younger with late model muscle cars, I couldn't catch a break. Now that I'm older with a little grey in the beard, cops are pretty cool about flexing a little.

3. I take it your the bad, getting pulled over for speeding that much. I bet you pulled out your badge and got out of all of them.

4. I've been pulled over just so they could have a look see and thought what I was driving was cool. Guess i could've been a dick about it,but that would only hurt myself,so I play along. They always remember shit that isn't the norm,so you gotta go with it.
    It helps if you work on their cars all day= I guess a job perk?
    But,out of jurisdiction,i'm fair game.:eek:

5. Ratticis

Ratticis

My dad got pulled over before in his lifted 51 chev "Just so they could get a better look at the truck"

6. chavelo

chavelo

I used to work for the city prior to retirement in a "very" responsible position so baiscally as long as I don't put my foot in it "literally" I do not get much flack even with my laker headers uncapped. Also I do respect the law immensly.

7. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Only if you're driving it like a dick........ I was all over South Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania in my fenderless flathead powered Deuce coupe for almost 10 years and never got so much as a *look*........it depends on the circumstances and in what manner you are driving......

CB

8. chavelo

chavelo

I'm retired now and I noticed what can happen when you have grandkids and a shop in your backyard.

Attached Files:

9. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

I now have 31 tickets for Idaho code 49-965, modification to reduce road clearance, as well as a citation for just about every other non-moving violation you can think of. I have been cited for improper bumper height, improper lighting height, I got a $75 ticket once for one headlight aiming slightly lower than the other, I thought that was a bit of crap. (note: ANY modification to a vehicle from its factory form in Idaho is illegal. Wheels and paint about the only exception. Even an aftermarket muffler is illegal here). Boise and Garden City cops are the worst here. County Mounties aren't too bad or are state bulls. I have also been pulled over for the look-it-over-and-bullshit-session by two GOOD lookin female officers.

I have been dealt my fair share of citations that I deserved as well for speeding and street racing and excessive show of power. The police do not like fourth gear burnouts as you pass them. As is the norm though, as I get older and the hair gets grayer, I become left alone more and more. As said before, this is just the way it always has been.

I did receive multiple tickets a week for about three weeks from one female cop here. She kept getting me for height requirement of course. One summer day I was motoring along and she saw me. She ran the red light and exited the turn lane she was waiting in to catch up to me. No lights a flashin' at any time. She followed me for a few miles and started to drive past me as I reached the car show I was driving to. Now this particular parking lot had a very steep entrance with a high crown which the bottom of the truck scraped going over.

She saw that and pulled some Rockford Files/ Smokey and the Bandit tire smoking U-turn slide in the middle of traffic on a devided street and still no lights. She came into the parking lot, turned her lights on, made me walk back to the truck and sit there while three more cars with GIGANTIC Schwartzenegger looking fucks showed up and surrounded my truck with guns at the ready. (didn't help that all the guys and gals at the car show were giving her cat calls, talking shit and whatnot) So I got TWO different height requirement citations and a RECKLESS AND NEGLIGENT DRIVING TICKET for the little two inch scrape I left IN the private parking lot!! I won the case in court and the reckless driving charges were dropped. Then I filed a grievance for officer profiling. On the explanation line, I stated that officer Wilson "has a hard-on for me". Never had to deal with her after that and she has since resignd over unrelated matters. Bitch.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  10. Drove to California and back thinking the cops somewhere would light me up...never happened. The Sacramento poor boys were even suprised I never was pulled over. I also drove to florida and NY, & all around TN over the last 7 years w/out incident. Fingers staying crossed.

11. dlotraf

dlotraf

I thought I would be a cop magnet. They have totally ignored me for 2 1/2 years. Almost bugs me that they haven't even stopped me to see what the hell it is. Of course I'm over 50 and quit driving like a jack ass many years ago.

12. RoosRoast Metro

RoosRoast Metro
    from Michigan

Drinking, driving, and drag racing that's what I did in late 1970's but my story was always better and my car was always faster.

13. 61falcon

61falcon

the older i get, the less they notice me.

14. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

I love it lol

15. surfin

surfin

it really seems to depend on to factors from what you guys are saying, area and age

16. devilleish

devilleish

Some cops are cool as hell, no problems. Others... In my smallish town (I lived in the downtown business district for YEARS and knew most of the local police on a first-name basis) I pulled into the local dollar store on my way to work, driving the '55 so I can diagnose a noise in the differential at lunchtime, and an officer pulls in behind me and blocks me into my parking spot. He proceeds to tell me about the "historical plate" laws in Ohio and tells me that if he sees my truck on the road again, it will be on a flatbed unless it is on its way to a show, parade, etc. His superior is a friend, and the owner of a beautiful '49 Chevy sedan (with historical plates). I have received no further problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.