Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Ford - Does the mustang tank and sender work with the stock gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Mar 30, 2012.

1. the-rodster

the-rodster

Lots of guys are running them, so what's the answer?

I'll be running 12 volts and a runt to get 6 volt to the gauge, but are the ohms compatible between the two?

I'm using a repro 65 tank and sender, I believe that the sender is 10-70 ohms, correct?

Chime in guys.

Rich

2. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

I have recently used this same set up on my 49.With my 20 gallon 65 mustang tank and sender,a full tank registers all the way to the right on the original 49 gauge using the runtz voltage drop device.The needle remains there for a long time and then slowly comes down after a weeks worth of driving.It will run out of fuel (empty) when the gauge is just to the left of 1/4 tank,so the ohms are pretty close, but not exact.However, the 16 gallon mustang tank may be a bit more accurate.Hope this helps you.

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have the other end of the problem. My tank reads it's empty when it has 1/8-1/4 tank of gas left. Just to play it safe I keep it filled to 1/2. I have ran it to more than E but not for long.

4. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

Yeah, Im thinking a little experimental bending of the sender arm may be required to get a better reading.Also,with those runtz reducers,you can use the oil pressure and water temp senders from the flathead in whatever engine your running for accurate readings with your original gauges.

5. iam running a mustang tank and sending unit in my 48 ford pickup with the factory fuel gauge and a ron francis vr-1 voltage reducer. works perfect

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

Thanks guys.

Rich