Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neatest old car you got for FREE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldebob, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

My wifes mini van was free.....

2. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

my dad gave me this on my birthday when i was 38.

Attached Files:

3. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

A relative of a friend gave me a '51 or '52 F1. It was complete, body had some dents but wasn't rusted at all, had a good OHV inline 6. I just wanted some parts off it and my buddy that arranged for me to get it wanted the front axle. The rest went to the scrap yard. I don't know what possessed me to scrap such a good truck. That was back around 1981.

The same friend that hooked me up with the F1 gave me his '64 Marauder that he had inherited from his dad. It was beat to hell, wrecked and rusted badly, but still a really cool car. I drove it a year or two. I ended up scrapping it and a 62 Monterey when I got hard up for money. I had a young family and putting food on the table was more important than old cars......we do what we gotta do but I wish I had found another way to do it.

A friend of my Dad gave me a wrecked '65 Ford long roof for covering his towing bill. Pulled a few parts and scrapped the rest.
    I traded a 4 barrel carb and manifold off an FE for a 68 Mustang. Sold the engine, kept the 4 speed and gave the car to a buddy. It was rust free.

FREE F1, Marauder, Monterey, and Mustang......scrapped or gave em all away. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  4. BigBlockItch57

BigBlockItch57

Just recently found out that the 1961 f100 custom cab im going to be building up was free and that was before i was born....came with a good story too!! I has been sitting in our yard for years and i never knew!! Ill thank my father for the awesome free cars we have!! we also have in our yard a late 50's buick my dad saved from the car crusher at our local junkyard!! its a neat habit he has!!!
    Xo
    Jess

5. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

You have a very generous Dad!

6. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Two years ago, I was offered a red w/black top 1967 Galaxie 500 with a 390 Auto. It was a friend's cousin's dad's car. The dad bought it new before going into the Navy and he drowned over seas. So it got driven every once and a while and then got parked behind his shed with tarps over it for 20+ years. The cousin got offers regularly but wouldn't take it. The only reason I was going to get it was because they knew I would keep it and appreciate it. But the only reason I turned it down was because I then realized how much money and work it would take to restore what I call a "Full Car". Meaning much more interior and body parts than say a Model A.

Now I know to never turn down a car....But am I sorry for not getting that car...no, just because I would probably never finish it.

7. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

I was given a 34 deluxe tudor for 3 hrs farm labour....My neighbor give me a 39 chev coupe for free yesterday!

8. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

My 16th birthday I was given a '66 IH pickup, ran good, 266 v8, 4speed. Probably the best freebie Ive ever gotten, till I bounced it off a ditch junior year and totalled it. Engine went into a '67 shortbox for my next vehicle that I gave $200 for, and helped my step-dad restore as a graduation present for the materials etc.

The only other "free" car Ive gotten was a '53 Customline that my step-dad's brother-in-law said I could just go get for parts when I picked up my '52 Mainline. Had to drive 175 miles one way, the flathead was locked up, all the glass was busted out of it, interior totally shot, and the body was pretty bad from sitting on the ground for ??? years. I managed to salvage the radiator, pulled the carb, the exhaust manifolds, and snagged the 3spd overdrive out of it, which I later found to not shift into OD, and the 2nd synchro was shot, but it was worth the diesel to grab it. Oh, also snagged the broken "50th aniversary" horn ring off it for garage art. ;)

9. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

had a guy give me a '72 Datsun coupe on Fort Dix, NJ IN 1990. sold it two hours later for $100.

had a guy at the same base give me a 1962 5/8 ton Chevy long bed. never went to get it.

had a buddy give me a '38 Ford cab and mated it with a 1936 Ford car frame I bought for $25 after the propane company I was working for pulled the 250 gallon tank off it. traded it off in 1999 for a WW1 British army helmet, a bunch of bayonets and some ammo.

when I was a kid I was friends with an elderly fella who drove a big '63 Dodge with a slant six and pushbutton automatic. his kids gave me the car after he passed but I was leaving for Korea at the time and when I got back the squirrels had eaten up the wiring and some grandkids thought they wanted it. it got sold for scrap.

10. bluestang67

bluestang67

It was about 1981 a guy I worked with had a 48 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe . He was moving to Lowell , Ind and asked if I wanted to clean out his garage . I said yes and I had seen the 48 there . I took about 3 full vans loads of cars parts out of there . Well long story short it came home on a tow bar . It was from Kentucky had some time in New York on the drag strips . Only rust was on each front fender about the size of a golf ball .

When my oldest was getting to be 16 I traded it for a 64 Falcon . That a father son project ,never happened , LOL he hates working on cars .

I do regret the trade off .

11. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

My first truck, a 1963 F100 was free, other than that I picked up a Volvo 544 at one point and immediately sold it because I don't care for non American vehicles.

12. 67 jag XKE 2+2

13. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

got a 79 yamaha 750 that was given to me for free and traded straight across for my 1960 galaxie
    ive had it since december of 2009 heres some pics of when i got it and what it looks like now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. about 25 yrs ago, a friend of mine gave me a Dodge Dart 340-4bbl automatic car. Said the timing chain was gone, wouldn't start. We trailered it home, threw a battery in, and bumped the starter to check TDC. Low and behold, this baby was right on time. I had lots of experiences with MOPAR ballast resistor taking a shit. Put a $4.00 ballast resistor in, fired that mother right up. Traded it the very next day for a great paint job for my racecar.

15. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I was 16, was given a 32 Chevy roadster by my neighbor, for yardwork. I was really stoked but was too young and no money to do anything with it. I always wondered how that one would be, if I could have got it up and running. The deuce in my avatar [no engine, bent fender] was $75.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

55 Nomad back in 79. I could have had a 57 Porsche Speedster for free back in 77 when I was 14 but my Dad no. He said there were too many cars in our driveway. My cousin once offer my dad a 66 Mustand Covertible and a friend of his offered my Dad a 57 T-Bird for free. Those were the days.

17. scotts52

scotts52

I got a 53 Cadillac Sedan for free for cleaning up some old fridges. Had sat outside for many many years and had the back window broken so the weather has definitely had its way with this old car. I do hope to do something with it someday.

18. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

19. Zandoz

Zandoz

Before I was able to legally drive, my dad's friend gave me his rusted into oblivion 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury....I got to toodle around his farm several times with it before the rear end collapsed over the rear axle. Later an MG Midget, an MG B, a Renault R8, and though not free, for $20 I got a 63 Buick Skylark convertible that after putting a starter motor in it, both dad and I drove it for several years.

20. One owner 1958 Chevrolet Apache Fleetside. It still had road maps in the glove box with the notes and penciled routes where the family took a vacation trip from Oklahoma to California in 1959. I still have the maps in my file cabinet at home; I tried keeping them in the glove box until we caught a guy trying to lift them one day at a car show. The original owner transfered the title from his name to mine on the same date (not day) in June 1995 as when it was placed in his name in 1958.

Attached Files:

21. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I was given this really cool old 58 TBird by my dad.

Well, actually a long time patient of my dad gave the option of picking from a couple items, the 58 Tbird, a 65 C10 truck or an old tractor as a thank you for all the years of work he had done for the patient.

My dad asked the guy if it was okay if he gave me the option of choosing which one and I got to keep it....

So we went and looked, it was an easy decision....

We rebuilt the brakes, did nothing but clean the interior and wax it... drove it a couple years, till the motor finally let go.

Oh, and the other tbird I was given for hauling a storage shed to the guys house for him....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

A regular customer of my auto garage in 1985 gave me a 49 for F-1...ran and drove...orig Flatty V8. Wound up putting a camaro front stub on it. turned out real nice.
    2 years ago, my cousin gave me a 58 ford retractable skyliner to use to build my Edsel retractable.

23. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I seem to attract givvers.
    32 Ford Roadster, 71 Chevy Impalla conv., 38 Buick coupe, 55 Forf F100, 41 Ford COE. all for free! (all restored or rodded now)

24. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

was given a running 68 fairlane 2 door hardtop with a dangerously slow 200 6cyl. my parents neighbors niece ended up with it when her mom passed. she decided she didnt want it and called me about buying it. it was fairly rusty and I didn't need another car at the time so after checking it out I told her I didn't want to buy it. she said " would you just take it to get it off my property so the city wont ticket me for a derelict car?" :rolleyes: Hell Yes!!! drove that sucker for about a year or so until I couldn't stand the slowpoke 6 anymore, and dropped a 400m with a cam 4bbl and dual exhaust in it and replaced the front fenders, patched the floors and rear qtrs. painted it the original forest green with a white top and a white GT stripe on the rockers and bolted on a cobra jet hood scoop. was real sharp when I sold it, and a great road cruiser. real comfy and realativly fast. only had about $1500 bucks in it. Winning!!!!

25. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Here's mine. Got it last spring. Started it up and drove it on the trailer to take it home. No brakes so I had to use the parking brake to stop it. Five months later towed my Avanti to Bonneville and back with it.
    [​IMG]
    Don't hate me I was just in the right place at the right time.
    Dan

26. My 1931 Dodge Brothers business coupe was given to me by my father in 1967 when I was 15. I still have it...

Attached Files:

27. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

I got this 1955 GMC Hydramatic plus a bunch of cool old stuff from the garage behind it. Pics are when I got it and where its at now. Also got the 59' chevy Spartan 100 basically for free too..the 348 in its worth more than the $175 bucks I paid for it!

Attached Files:

28. ironpile

ironpile

I was told about a 41 PLY coupe about 65 miles from home,so I hooked up a trailer to my SBC powered 50 Ford 1/2 ton and headed out.Had no trouble loading it and set sail for home.It wasn`t long and it had a slant 6 & tq flite in it.Turned out to be a sweet ride.But as usual I needed money so I sold it.I did manage to make money on this one.

29. likes ihs

likes ihs
    from petaluma

my mothers friend now in her mid 80's, called me & said i want to give you my car. it hasn't been driven in 2 years, you may need to charge the battery. after changing the battery i backed it out of the garage it has called home since 1966. i now have an incredably clean 66 tbird for a daily driver

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bought a 53 Chevy for $90.00 and parted about $3000.00 worth of parts out of it... does that count as free?

if so then I got 2 1960 ElCamino's and a 51 Chevy as well.

I have a friend who has since passed that seemed to be the guy everyone gave thier old Pintos and Mustang II's to. he had a shop on a busy street and it started with one that he had out front, then people would just stop by and give him another. I bet he had 20 of those things over a period of several years.

then he moved up to Dodge Darts and did the same thing.