Register now to get rid of these ads!

Misconceptions of old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, May 16, 2011.

1. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

My apologies. I didn't even think that the environmentalist attitude was a political issue.

I now will stand down.

2. I didn't take it as political. I had a 20 year old car no EFI and it got 20 mpg and passed California smog test. Lot of people doubted me.

3. Next time some ass hole walks up to you at a gas station or wherever...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B1q9PgU0CVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. i drove my f1 to a buddies house once after i had just got it on the road, everyone was coming out and a buddie just looks at it and says "classy" in kind of a snickering tone.

i kind of chuckled and thought to myself; if i wanted a classy car, i would have bought something like your lame-ass brown ten yr old lexus suv...hell maybe even a few years newer just to piss you off lol.

sometimes you cant blame people for what the have no idea about.

5. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Misconception: That people that drive them must not give a shit about the planet...

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I had my '32 five window, the neighbor girl's father called it "The ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech"...(it was on roller wheels & tires, engine out, I was sanding primer coats)

Once painted, flathead in, Quickchange, etc, he saw me exiting the driveway, walked up, and acted surprised that it ran. (I was 17) I asked him if he'd like a ride, hop in.
    He got in, surprised at tuck-and-roll upholstery, chrome, and all.
    I got out in the street, and rolled away slowly, then stabbed the spoon pedal.
    The 296 flattie just red-lined, and I grabbed second. He almost crapped his pants.
    The 3/8 by 3/8 was violent...(4.44 gears) He grabbed for the dash, we were only doing around 60, but we'd gotten there quick.

I slowed and turned the corner, returned to his house...he was shaking when he got out, I said: "Runs pretty good, huh?" He said I'd better fix this thing, it was illegal to 'soup old cars up'. He worked for the State of California.

He had some words with my Mom...she laughed. He'd never ride with me again.

7. That you must be rich because you have a cool old car. I can't explain to them that I have less in my cool old car than the nice new Chevy or Ford they're driving. I'm not hurting, but I'm damn far from rich.
    Or that you must be some kind of attention whore because you like loud pipes and shiny chrome. If I was the last man on earth, apart from have access to all the free parts I could ever want, I'd still be driving my car, but probably with open headers cause there's nobody around to bitch.
    I dig that people appreciate old cars, and sometimes attention from the pretty ladies is welcomed, but that's not why I do it.

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

Don't worry about all the ecomentalists who lose more in depreciation on their 'save-the-planet-mobiles' than most of us have in our cars. Carbon footprints be damned - they're just trying to impress themselves because they only have opinions given to them by others.

In fact, not buying new cars has saved me enough to buy more cars!!!! (and with enough left over to put some fuel in them, too)

Go on, you know it makes sense!

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha I let 'em think I'm rich.

Hey Mac! What kinna car is that"

51 DeSoto

How much did you pay for it?

$250,000 but you can buy it right now for $225,000 if you have that much

Bet it's hard to get parts har har har.

Not really. My mechanic has them flown in from Zurich.

That must be expensive.

My Singapore trust fund leases it to my Cayman Islands corporation by way of my Swiss bank, resulting in a perpetual tax loss carry forward for my Panamanian holding company.

Bet it burns a lot of gas.

Only poor people worry about gas mileage.

Well I got a brand new SUV!

That's a nice little work truck. My plumber used to drive one before he got his Porsche Cayenne.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The big expense is having the leather upholstery massaged with Oil of Olay by topless bikini models

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Eat it poor person!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You slamma my door I slamma you face!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYE!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

12. Well played, sir. Well played.

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap!!"

13. I got into it with my brother in law about this again. "Your drum brakes arent safe! you cant stop fast enough!" Then I used them to slam his head into my dash board. "Is that fast enough for ya?" The other 3 brothers in law were laughing there asses off at him.

14. 421SD

421SD
    from Elgin, IL

Misconception: It doesn't have fuel injection, how can you drive it daily? You get in, pull the choke, pump the gas pedal twice, then hit the switch!

Misconception of a previous misconception: you have to pump the gas before you start a car with a carb or stabbing the gas right before you turn them off.

I don't pump the gas at all i just turn the key, and i don't have a problem with hot starts even though i have a heated choke. Tuning and regular maintenance can do wonders to an old car!

I hate how people keep on insisting that I have been misinformed about my own car that i rebuilt or currently rebuilding from the ground up.

When i was going to school i had a guy argue with me that the car in the parking lot is not a '63 Grand Prix but rather a '64 GTO. So he decided to make a $50 bet of it. When i told him i would fell bad for taking a fools money and i was only willing to make a gentleman's wager of $1, he decided to make it a $100 and called me a chicken. So i said $1000 it is, he agreed and we walked out to the car. There were no badges on the car and he jokingly said we should wait the owner of the car so he can collect his money. At this point i unlocked the car, got in, started it up, pulled the title from the glove box and held out my hand waiting for payment. I never saw a dime. to this day, he still insists that i suckered him into betting.

15. Rebracer

Rebracer

the funny thing is I actually need to slam the doors on my 55 to shut them properly, still there is a right way and a wrong way to firmly close a door.

16. 421SD

421SD
    from Elgin, IL

I love this thread, really made me smile

17. a girl i was going with as a teenager kept remarking how "cushiony" my 53 plymouth rode..

Of course i gave my momma a ride in it not long after and SHE said the same darned thing.

It must be a female thing, to assume anything old rides like a bucking bronco.

18. slim tempo

slim tempo

In the past I would hear "Station wagons are ugly". Nobody says that anymore.

Attached Files:

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man that made me laugh! Bet he had to change his skivvies!

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some people assume because it is an old car it is ok to put their foot up on the tire while talking with you. Or, I have actually come out of a store and had German tourists sitting in my car taking pictures of each other ! :eek: They didn't quite understand why I was less than hospitable.

Don

21. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

YES! What is it that makes people think they can act like idiots around an old car? Walk right up and open a goddamn door? Tell you to "open the hood"? The look on that clown's face when I asked "why the FUCK would I do that?" was priceless.

B.

22. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

The worst I have had so far happened when I was visiting a friend at his apartment complex. All the parking spaces seem to be for tiny little compact cars. I parked the truck (in my avatar) with the bumper against the curb and was greeted to a boot when I came out because the truck was too long for the parking space. People always slam the doors but they close with two fingers and everybody's late models have broken down on 500 mile road trips while my old truck motors along never leaving me stranded, getting 20 mpg and passes emissions better than new cars. I cannot stand all the crap misconceptions.

23. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

the door slamming thing gets me but the funny reaction is when they cant find the seat belts ,is that legal?,what if we have an accident?,i dont intend on having an accident,,,

24. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

"You should have to pay more insurance for that. It doesn't have seatbelts and I'm gonna have to pay your medical bills if you get hurt."

"I can't believe your new car sits out. Your '46 is in primer!"

25. jmarshall97

jmarshall97

I always hate the fact that people ONLY think its a nice car if all the chrome is perfect and has fresh shiney paint. And if its not apparentrly its a pos.

"when are you going to finish it?" Is another one that gets me

26. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Everyone rode in a car just like mine when they were little. Just because it has the third seat facing backwards. Their parents owned one just like it.. Except it was a buick and not a chrysler. everyone thinks I'm crazy for driving mine everywhere every day. they can't believe that an old car can do that. My response is generally how did they get where they needed to go in 1963??

Attached Files:

27. outlaw256

outlaw256

i have a bunch of people telling me all kinds of stupid things about my old cars. but my favorite on is the seatbelt one. i have had a few get in my cars for a ride and ask me where is the seat belts, dont have none i tell them. what if we have a wreck.?well we will probably die so what does it matter. and almost all of them have asked me really?. man i dont want to die.

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

I had just painted my 40 Willy's P/U when a non car guy friend and his wife came over and were looking at it. He thought it was necessary to slam the door and beat on the paint with his college ring. Fortunately no damage was done. Now I leave my cars in the closed garage when people like this come over.

29. My uncle has a '55 Chevy two-door post that he took me and my date to the senior prom in. We were at my house taking pictures in it, and her dad pointed out that it didn't have any seatbelts. I think her mom almost fainted.

30. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

from owners: it's worth at least $50k. comes with all four doors, original rust, 7 layers of house paint from (last done in the 80s), sawzall radiused wheel wells, part of the stainless, and bonus bondo! Wheels are extra- they don't match, but the roll.