Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tremec TKO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by few loose bolts, Mar 29, 2012.

1. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

Anybody know what cars the TKO transmission could be found in if i were to go looking in a wrecking yard?

2. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

mustang cobras, vipers.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Everytime I see a viper in the junkyard somebody has snagged the drivetrain. Never can find a fender for my vette either.

4. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

which mustangs have them? was it post fox body?

5. HamD

HamD

It's generally an aftermarket swap trans.

Vipers were T56 1992-2007, TR6060 (major changes but T56 based) 2008-on

Mustangs were T5 through 95, T45 through the 90s or so, TR-3650 through 04
    Cobra Mustangs were T56 03-04, 3550 in 95. The TKO is Tremec TR-3550 based.

Cross your fingers and hope one is swapped into something. Mustangs are most common for that.

6. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

so basically i'd be better off buying a new or refurbished one

7. Weasel

Weasel

8. JEM

JEM

They will be rarer than rocking horse droppings in junkyards. As others have noted, the total number of cars with TKO and TKO-derived transmissions comes down to literally a handful of mid '90s specialty Mustangs and a few engine and/or transmission swaps (the 3550/TKO was commonly done as part of sticking a 351W in a Fox Mustang) almost none of which will ever make it to a typical salvage yard without having the high-value parts ripped out first.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

As for buying a refurbished unit, the only two I've seen were priced at
    $!750. You can buy a new one for not much more. I've been looking for a deal on one for over a year now. Found one on Craig's List for $800.00, but the cops busted the guy for dealing stolen cars and parts before I got there. Good enough for him.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

They aren't cheap new of used. If I were going to get one I'd opt for a new one that way you know what you've got right from the get go. Nothing like bragging about the good deal you get on something and the first time you drive your car it comes home on the back of a wrecker because your "deal" failed.:mad:

Frank

11. HamD

HamD

depends on the vehicle, rear gear and intended use.

12. geoking

geoking

http://www.keislerauto.com treated me well with lots of after the purchase technical assistance.
    regards,
    George

QUOTE=HamD;7615427]depends on the vehicle, rear gear and intended use.[/QUOTE]

13. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

it's going in a truck behind an FE big block so i need something to handle the torque which is why i'd rather avoid the t5. for the most part it's for daily driving but i do want to occasionally send it down the strip for fun

14. HamD

HamD

Good plan. Now I don't know if the TKO500 with the wider 1-4 ratios for a truck makes more sense or if it being behind a torque engine warrants the closer 1-4 of the TKO600.

15. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

yeah i wasn't sure about which ratio to go with either. i'm not planning to haul anything besides ass for the most part. if i need a car hauler, it'll be in the future and would probably be a much heavier duty truck. so i basically want a fun, reliable daily.

16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

For an FE to TKO combo, get ahold of Brent at B2 Motorsports, he will help you out with the ratios and setup. For a good street/strip trans in a truck behind an FE, you need to be prepared to spend a few grand or more.

http://www.b2motorsportsllc.com/transmissions.html

Good Luck.