Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuilding power steering box's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by barry mazza, Mar 29, 2012.

1. barry mazza

barry mazza

NEED HELP ONCE AGAIN.....ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF A PLACE THAT REBUILDS POWER STEERING BOX'S.
    HAVE A VERY EARLY 605 CONVERSIOIN BOX IN THE AZTEC THAT HAS OVER 1/4 TURN OF FREE PLAY. WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THIS ONE REBUILT.
    ANY LEADS WILL BE RUN DOWN......THANKS !!:cool:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can find an older front end mechanic at the local GM garage who use to rebuild those on warranty the parts still may be available through GM. They are a bit tedious to rebuild but not that difficult.

3. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

What are you putting the 605 on ? If its a 55 56 or 57 chevy they make a steering box for them ... Its called a 500 ... I have one and like it much better than the 605 ...

4. barry mazza

barry mazza

Hello Hey I have a very very first 605's, it was a conversion back then. You had to cut off the lower sector of the orig 55 box and splice it on the 605. , its a custom mount in the car , so any replacement would have to be exactly a dupe of the original, to hook to my steering collumn and rag joint.
    I figured just have the old 605 re built. I don't know if the newer boxs are the same deminsioins as the old 605 set up???
    Barry